Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling on all AERO "Happy Days" Jacket owners...

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
You hear this but I've never had sleeves shorten in 30 years and 40 jackets.

Forget about half an inch, this is nonsense. Of course, sleeves run up a bit, but for "§$%& sake, this is a leather-jacket, not a posh suit. Aero cannot work on that precision, anyway.

Thanks for the advice on this. I will stick to my desired sleeve length then.

Cool. That's sorted.

What about lining? I thought red cotton drill would look great:

61153298f10b5a4d_Red Cotton Drill.jpg

I know you won't see it, but I still think it'll look nice.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Ask for 27.5" sleeves, although 27.25 will likely be OK. My choice of lining would be olive cotton drill with seal Vicenza and knits.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the advice on this. I will stick to my desired sleeve length then.

Cool. That's sorted.

What about lining? I thought red cotton drill would look great:

View attachment 26723

I know you won't see it, but I still think it'll look nice.
Someone posted their jacket photo a while back and it had a custom red cotton drill lining and he said it turned out to be way too "red" for his taste. In the pics of his jacket it did indeed look a bit garish. Get a sample of the red cotton fabric if you decide to go that route. Otherwise, I agree with Fanch (that man certainly knows his leather jackets!). Olive cotton drill.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I think the red could be 'too much'. I think it either goes with black biker jackets or something closer in tone to cordovan.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I still keep coming back to the mid-brown of Aero's Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide - I love the colour...

View attachment 26586

So it's either BROWN Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide with SEAL knits as pictured below:

View attachment 26571

Or SEAL Vicenza Italian Veg tanned FQHH with a SEAL knits:

View attachment 26573 View attachment 26574 View attachment 26572

Arrggh! I cannot decide. Which would look more authentic early 50s? Please help!!!

Both are great leathers, but my suggestion would be to go with the Vicenza. It's that bit softer than FQHH (it's more of a midweight), and much closer in weight and drape to the original jackets you're looking. Also, I personally think a 'softer' leather works better with knits in general. Leave the FQHH for when you decide you need a halfbelt too.... ;)

You guys are going to think I'm crazy, but to be honest, I don't really like the way Vicenza wears after seeing the photos posted on http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Aero-Jackets&p=1920719&viewfull=1#post1920719, especially the last 3 photos (reproduced below):

Aero 1920s Work Coat Vicenza 1.jpg Aero 1920s Work Coat Vicenza 2.jpg Aero 1920s Work Coat Vicenza 3.jpg

I think it looks too thin and creased compared to photos of original 50s civilian A-2s I've seen, especially these 2:

IMG_0086.JPG image.jpg

I think this guy's jacket looks much more like the leather I'm looking for, and closer to the originals - well worn Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide.

6434dc3d00228d7d_john daniel 50s Bomber.jpg

And this about the Aero "1950's Flight Jacket": Ours uses the same Heavy Horsehide widely used during the period and the same typical blanket or cotton linings that were popular at the time. (pictures below taken from the Aero website)

1914bd8914844d2a_1950s FJ  Cordovan hero 1 copy copy.jpg 6164bd8915cb372f_1950s FJ  Cordovan hero 2 copy copy.jpg 9994eedd6d48de5b_2824ed51c51e05d3_s1903-shoulder-800FJL.jpg 2864eedd6f100eda_4434ed51c1b37234_s1903-shoulder1-800FJL.jpg 2224bd891a25faaf_1950s_fj_cordovan_detail_1 copy.jpg 4654bd891b2c1e57_1950s_fj_cordovan_detail_2 copy.jpg

According to Denny at Aero, the leather is Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide, either regular or tumbled.

I really like it, and it must be the period correct leather for a "Happy Days"?

And here it is in Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide:

Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide - new 2.jpg Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide - new.jpg

And after a few years wear:

Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide - broken in.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
FQHH from the 1950's was generally lighter than the stuff Aero uses. As I've said before, down here I rarely found FQHH comfortable. It's rarely cold enough and when it's really cold here the leather's not warm enough (leather isn't insulated). I think FQHH looks great but I ended up hanging my half-belt from my wall as a decoration. A period accurate HH from Aero would include jerky horse. I like the Happy Days pattern but I'd probably go goat or jerky. You'd wear that for much more of the year. But you know what? Yur first big jacket is rarely if ever the one you end up keeping. So maybe go with FQHH, see how you find it and get it out of your system. I reckon you might buy 2 or 3 before you settle.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm wearing my seal brown jerky Mulligan today and don't really see much creasing present. Personally I would much prefer a knit jacket made with mid-weight HH or goatskin over FQHH and save the latter for a HB or something else without knits. Now a Teamster ... brown FQHH is just about perfect. Close your eyes and try to imagine what use your jacket will have 1-2 years from now long after the novelty of a new jacket is long gone.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I would pull the trigger on the jacket with no more consideration. You will never get that "perfect" in a certain sense, a leather jacket never is. And period correct? What does that mean? I would think also in the 50th there was a certain variation in garments, leathers, the like. You should choose the jacket YOU like and then be good. ;)

I would pull the trigger on the jacket with no more consideration. You will never get that "perfect" in a certain sense, a leather jacket never is. And period correct? What does that mean? I would think also in the 50th there was a certain variation in garments, leathers, the like. You should choose the jacket YOU like and then be good. ;)

+1

And your new jacket may just surprise you in a way you didn't expect. It happens! :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
You guys are going to think I'm crazy, but to be honest, I don't really like the way Vicenza wears after seeing the photos posted on http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Aero-Jackets&p=1920719&viewfull=1#post1920719, especially the last 3 photos (reproduced below):

View attachment 26845 View attachment 26846 View attachment 26847

I think it looks too thin and creased compared to photos of original 50s civilian A-2s I've seen, especially these 2:

View attachment 26848 View attachment 26849

I think this guy's jacket looks much more like the leather I'm looking for, and closer to the originals - well worn Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide.

View attachment 26850

And this about the Aero "1950's Flight Jacket": Ours uses the same Heavy Horsehide widely used during the period and the same typical blanket or cotton linings that were popular at the time. (pictures below taken from the Aero website)

View attachment 26851 View attachment 26852 View attachment 26856 View attachment 26855 View attachment 26853 View attachment 26854

According to Denny at Aero, the leather is Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide, either regular or tumbled.

I really like it, and it must be the period correct leather for a "Happy Days"?

And here it is in Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide:

View attachment 26858 View attachment 26857

And after a few years wear:

View attachment 26859

Dave

I know what you're getting at. That sleeve crease look looks great on some jackets, such as the one pictured, but for the flight jacket you're going for, I'd too want something that stays looking a little newer with less creasing. Even the FQHH will do that to a degree.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I know what you're getting at. That sleeve crease look looks great on some jackets, such as the one pictured, but for the flight jacket you're going for, I'd too want something that stays looking a little newer with less creasing. Even the FQHH will do that to a degree.

If minimal creasing is desired, go with Aero's goatskin.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
FQHH from the 1950's was generally lighter than the stuff Aero uses. As I've said before, down here I rarely found FQHH comfortable. It's rarely cold enough and when it's really cold here the leather's not warm enough (leather isn't insulated). I think FQHH looks great but I ended up hanging my half-belt from my wall as a decoration. A period accurate HH from Aero would include jerky horse. I like the Happy Days pattern but I'd probably go goat or jerky. You'd wear that for much more of the year. But you know what? Yur first big jacket is rarely if ever the one you end up keeping. So maybe go with FQHH, see how you find it and get it out of your system. I reckon you might buy 2 or 3 before you settle.

So would there ever have been 3oz FQHH in the early 50s? Or only 2oz jerky horse?

In my opinion, the colour of the Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide is so much nicer than the Seal colour in any of the mid-weight leathers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't get too obsessed with what's period, it's a path that can lead to humourless fanaticism. All I'm saying is that you certainly don't need to go 3oz to recreate the mid 20th century.

But yes, the heavier jackets of the period tend to be German - the American ones are more likely to be 2.2 to 2.5 oz horse. And jerky hide is quite similar to the hides used then. Bear in mind that period buyers didn't have long discussions about character or graining. In fact, many of the hides probably had a flat finish.

Personally I think most hides look great if you wear them a lot. As I said before buy what you like, learn from it and, I kid you not, if you aren't broke you will spec out and buy another jacket as you enter your quest to get the perfect leather jacket. I bought at least 4 jackets in 3oz before working out they weren't right for me or Australian conditions.

Last edited:

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't get too obsessed with what's period, it's path that can lead to humourless fanaticism. All I'm saying is that you certainly don't need to go 3oz to recreate the mid 20th century.

But yes, the heavier jackets of the period tend to be German - the American ones are more likely to be 2.2 to 2.5 oz horse. And jerky hide is quite similar to the hides used then. Bear in mind that period buyers didn't have long discussions about character or graining. In fact, many of the hides probably had a flat finish.

Personally I think most hides look great if you wear them a lot. As I said before buy what you like, learn from it and, I kid you not, if you aren't broke you will spec our and buy another jacket as you enter your quest to get the perfect leather jacket. I bought at least 4 jackets in 3oz before working out they weren't right for me or Australian conditions.

I guess it is really about the look I like most, and that is Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide (with Seal knits); to me these jackets all look very similar:

image.jpg image.jpg Brown Chromexcel FQ Horsehide_john daniel 50s Bomber.jpg Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide - broken in.jpg

If there was a Brown in the mid-weight, I'd consider it - I'm just not a massive fan of Seal. Perhaps Battered Steerhide is a closer to the brown colour I like:

Battered Steerhide.jpg

Dave, these are personal choices that only you can answer.

Please post pics when you've got it in hand and on your back.
I'm sure it will be great.
Cheers.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Dave, these are personal choices that only you can answer.

Please post pics when you've got it in hand and on your back.
I'm sure it will be great.
Cheers.

Yep. Time to bite the bullet, Cobber.

Just waiting on samples of Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide in Brown and Brown Antique/Tumbled (and knits in Seal and Mid-brown), and I will.

But I'm pretty sure it will be Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide with Seal knits.

Cheers guys. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo