Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling on all AERO "Happy Days" Jacket owners...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Seal vicenza with seal knits is a nice combo. I'm thinking of seal with caramel knits for my A-2, though I'm also tending towards dark seal for slightly more contrast.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Cheers Fanch.

With Seal Brown or Mid Brown knits?

Personally I would match seal brown knits with seal Vicenza but either would work equally well. Berry knits would, I think, give even more contrast.

Seal vicenza with seal knits is a nice combo. I'm thinking of seal with caramel knits for my A-2, though I'm also tending towards dark seal for slightly more contrast.

Denny from Aero said "I personally would go for Mid Brown knits with the Seal Vicenza and Seal knits if you choose the Dark Seal Vicenza, but really it is personal choice . Either combination would be like some of the examples of vintage jackets below, but personally I prefer the knits not to be darker than the leather."

I definitely prefer Seal Vicenza to Dark Seal.

And I actually think that most of the vintage 50s civilian jackets that I have seen (examples below) do actually have darker knits than the leather. And as I want mine to look like a deadstock original early 50s civilian A-2 with slash pockets like the examples below, I'm thinking the Seal knit would look more traditional/authentic than the lighter (more contrasting) Mid Brown knit with Seal Vicenza.

Thoughts?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
VTG 50S HORSEHIDE LEATHER BOMBER FLIGHT COAT JACKET 3.jpg 20121111150808.jpg

Last edited:

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars

The knits on this picture look lighter as they actually are. I have both knits at home (mid brown and seal) and they are darker. Aero can send you samples as well.

I actually think that most of the vintage 50s civilian jackets that I have seen (examples above) do actually have darker knits than the leather (in contrast to the many of their versions of authentic military A-2s, which mostly appear to have a lighter knit than the leather). And as I want mine to look like a deadstock original early 50s civilian A-2 with slash pockets like the examples below, I'm thinking the Seal knit would look more traditional/authentic than the lighter (more contrasting) Mid Brown knit with Seal Vicenza.

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Personally I think the darker knits make a nice contrast especially as the hide becomes more broken in and weathered somewhat.
HD

I still keep coming back to the mid-brown of Aero's Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide - I love the colour...

Brown Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide.jpg

So it's either BROWN Heavy Front Quarter Chromexcel Horsehide with SEAL knits as pictured below:

6434dc3d00228d7d_john daniel 50s Bomber.jpg

Or SEAL Vicenza Italian Veg tanned FQHH with a SEAL knits:

Seal Vicenza FQHH - smoother 2.jpg Seal Vicenza FQHH - smoother 4.jpg image.jpg

Arrggh! I cannot decide. Which would look more authentic early 50s? Please help!!!

20121111150808.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Both are great leathers, but my suggestion would be to go with the Vicenza. It's that bit softer than FQHH (it's more of a midweight), and much closer in weight and drape to the original jackets you're looking. Also, I personally think a 'softer' leather works better with knits in general. Leave the FQHH for when you decide you need a halfbelt too.... ;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Both are great leathers, but my suggestion would be to go with the Vicenza. It's that bit softer than FQHH (it's more of a midweight), and much closer in weight and drape to the original jackets you're looking. Also, I personally think a 'softer' leather works better with knits in general. Leave the FQHH for when you decide you need a halfbelt too.... ;)

+1 (everything Edward said). Personally I would leave off the epaulettes on a Happy Days jacket, once again my preference is for a simple, understated look.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK Dave, it's settled: Vicenza HH with no epaulettes. You pick the colors for the Vicenza and the knits. :D

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Ok. It's settled. I will go for Vicenza in Seal with Seal knits. But I still think I like the epaulettes.

Thanks so much guys. I'll order tonight after work.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, I was getting ready to say "Nooo Dave"
nooo Dave.jpg

However, I just saw that Aero's Happy Days jacket comes with epaulettes
964ccde05dcb264_happy days p1 copy.jpg

So ... think you have a fantastic jacket soon to be in the queue. :D

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Well, I was getting ready to say "Nooo Dave"
View attachment 26636

However, I just saw that Aero's Happy Days jacket comes with epaulettes
View attachment 26637

So ... think you have a fantastic jacket soon to be in the queue. :D

Yes it does. And I didn't want to mess with the jacket's silhouette. It really does look so fantastic as it is, epaulettes included..! ;)

And it will look even better in Seal Vicenza with Seal knits. :D

Last edited:

Dagenham Dave

One of the Regulars
Officially ordered - Seal Vicenza with Seal knits. (I have request the lightest Seal available, and with a selection of least grainy skins for my jacket.)

Also, I don't want my jacket to have too short sleeves. According to Carrie at Thurston Bros., "the sleeves shorten about 0.5 inches during the break-in, so we always recommend the added length.” Denny at Aero confirmed this: "sleeves can shorten up to 0.5” once they start to develop creases on the inside of the elbow." If my desired sleeve length is 27.25", should I add 0.5" to take it up to 27.75"?

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Officially ordered - Seal Vicenza with Seal knits. (I have request the lightest Seal available, and with a selection of least grainy skins for my jacket.)

Also, I don't want my jacket to have too short sleeves. According to Carrie at Thurston Bros., "the sleeves shorten about 0.5 inches during the break-in, so we always recommend the added length.” Denny at Aero confirmed this: "sleeves can shorten up to 0.5” once they start to develop creases on the inside of the elbow." If my desired sleeve length is 27.25", should I add 0.5" to take it up to 27.75"?

Forget about half an inch, this is nonsense. Of course, sleeves run up a bit, but for "§$%& sake, this is a leather-jacket, not a posh suit. Aero cannot work on that precision, anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner