Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camping in WWII Army surplus tents

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Back when I was a kid, we used to go camping. There usually was about 15-30 friends and relatives who'd trek up to Yosemite or Tahoe and spend a week camping. My uncle and some others had old WWII Army surplus tents and cots. I wish I could find some pictures. But these were the ones with the guide lines and the canopy over the entrance. Did anyone out there camp with the same gear?[huh]

Lincsong said:
Back when I was a kid, we used to go camping. There usually was about 15-30 friends and relatives who'd trek up to Yosemite or Tahoe and spend a week camping. My uncle and some others had old WWII Army surplus tents and cots. I wish I could find some pictures. But these were the ones with the guide lines and the canopy over the entrance. Did anyone out there camp with the same gear?[huh]

Oh yeah. We had that stuff in the Boy Scouts. They were old even then. Good luck in finding those now. We used to have a Jungle George's Surplus store in town back then and everything like that was cheap. Sounds like you had the same thing there.

Regards,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I was in my troop when they started transitioning from WWII surplus. Some of the static camps still use the stuff.

I was At Yosemite National park bagging peaks and got back to the camp to notice a 48 star flag. We just retired the old 50 star flag last night and I was perplexed.

Apparently they just recieved the 48 star a week ago as new old stock. They were going to send it back.

Radioflyer

New in Town
I'm a Scoutmaster (age 50) and absolutely love to camp in an old walltent. It takes some lumber, rope and knowhow, but much more comfortable and utilitarian than these modern domed, fiberglass poled, Gore-texed things. You can still buy the green walltent through various outlets and, together with a couple Army cots, makes for great camping.

Being a semi-retired Civil War reenactor, I still use my plain white canvas walltent and fly on Scout camporees and you'd be surprised how many adults and boys alike ask where I got it and relay and interest in camping that way.

Still fun!

rf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner