Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown Fieldmaster / Wolf’s Hattery Hybrid

kobol

New in Town
A little over a week ago I took delivery of a Camptown Model 1936 Fieldmaster from Camptown Hat Company. But before I get into any kind of review I would first like to explain my “subject header”. Upon trying on the hat I found that it was slightly too small, a little smaller than a home hat stretcher would solve. I made a phone call to Ken at Camptown and he was more than willing to have me send the hat back to be resized. His insistence that I be happy with his product and service was more than apparent and I can highly recommend Ken’s great customer service. He definitely believes in the adage “The Customers Come First” and should be happy. After consulting with him about my options and how I wanted to take this hat on vacation with me within a week (which would have been difficult due to shipping it out East again), I decided to give Wolf’s Hattery a call located in Spokane, Washington (my home state).

Dave Wolf was very pleasant and friendly to talk to over the phone. I explained my problem and was told to ship it out and that he could reblock it and ship it back with the week for a very reasonable and minimal cost. So off the Fieldmaster went. As a man true to his word, my Fieldmaster was indeed reblocked and shipped with a week’s time. And I have to say that the fit is now spot on and appears that his block is very similar to that of the Camptown, at least that’s how it appeared to me. I am posting a picture of it open crowned from Dave Wolf after the reblock. I know Ken has pictures of the open crown Fieldmaster on his site.

I have to say that I really like the felt and the color. The felt has a very substantial (and for lack of a better word), hearty feel yet smooth to the touch. It does indeed seem as if it can take “Mother Natures” worst. It has a shape different than my Akubra (std.) Federation and both of my JPD’s. Which of course I like, due to that I want some variety in my hats (I didn’t want them all to be clones of each other). I mean each are similar in looks, style and color. Perhaps only the few who look at all the details intimately would be able to pick out the differences. I only say that because most of my friends and family think all my hats look alike, but to me they don’t. I’m sure everyone here on the boards would probably recognize the differences right off, but from my experience to date, to the general public, they all look the same.

So with out further to do I present the Camptown/Wolf hybrid. Feel free to be critical and offer any tips or advice.

Thanks.

camptown-wolff5.jpg

camptown-wolff3.jpg

camptown-wolff2.jpg

camptown-wolff1.jpg

camptown-wolff6.jpg

camptown-wolff4.jpg

T

Thumbs

Looks good, Kobol! I like the bash you gave it.

Would it be possible for you to post a closeup of the rear of the bow? It may just be the angle, but it looks a little different than most. My own Camptown Metro has a bow knot that's a little unique, which I think adds some character.

fatwoul

Practically Family
kobol said:
...Dave Wolf was very pleasant and friendly to talk to over the phone...

I don't know if you're the same guy, but a chap over on C.O.W. who calls himself "Cowboy" has also recently been singing the praises of Dave Wolf, who apparently also does quite a nice (if not yet quite screen-accurate) Indy hat. His work certainly seems to be quite special, and it's perhaps unsurprising that he knows how to do a great reblock.

I'd say that an amalgamation of Dave Wolf and Camptown Ken would be bound to work, since both of them clearly care so much about their work and their customers.

As for your hat, it looks great. If mine looks that good (and I'm sure it will, as Ken's work seems to be very consistent in terms of quality). I like the flatter brim, with just a little dip at the front - I think it really works well with the larger brim of a Fieldmaster.

What is especially interesting to me is the bow. Thumbs (aka Marcelle 0 another new member and proud Camptown owner) has recently had me posting pictures of his Metro, and he has remarked how he likes the crooked centre to the bow on his hat. He says it gives it attitude, and I am inclined to agree.

Your bow has a different but equally enjoyable crooked centre. Was it this way when you received it from Ken, or is it the way Dave re-sewed it back on after the reblock? Either way, I think it works great. I think the bows on Camptowns really give the hat a personal/custom feel, in that they aren't all identical like (for example) a Federation bow.

They are like the individual fingerprints of our hats.

I can't wait to see what the bow on mine looks like. :D

Anyway, your Fieldmaster is every bit the beauty that all the others have been, and I hope you enjoy it as much as both you and the hat deserve!

kobol

New in Town
Thanks for the comments "Thumbs" and "Fatwoul". When I get home tonight I'll get a picture showing the details of the bow. The bow is definitely unique in comparison to my other hats and it's from Camptown. Dave Managed to reblock it keeping the bow as Ken from Camptown made it.
I learned about Wolf's Hattery at COW from Cowboy and talked to him about Dave Wolf's work which prompted me to get into contact with Dave.
From my experience so far both Dave and Ken are excellent craftsmen and great to work with.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your Camptown Fatwoul.

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
:cry: I want my Camptown!:(

Yeah, me too, but it's OK - Ken emailed me that he is back from his trip (which they all enjoyed, by the way), and he's back on orders this week.

kobol

New in Town
DanielJones
This is Fieldmaster #019 and thank you for your comments.

Fatwoul and Indycop
I just got off the phone with Ken and from what I was told he is gearing up to get more hats out this week if that helps ease your waiting pains.

fatwoul

Practically Family
kobol said:
...I just got off the phone with Ken and from what I was told he is gearing up to get more hats out this week if that helps ease your waiting pains.

Haha thanks, that might help Indycop, but I know there was almost a month between his order being put through, and mine. So unless the time between didn't see many orders, I doubt I'll see mine so soon. :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
kobol said:
DanielJones
This is Fieldmaster #019 and thank you for your comments.

Fatwoul and Indycop
I just got off the phone with Ken and from what I was told he is gearing up to get more hats out this week if that helps ease your waiting pains.
Hopefully I don't get number 27! That stands for insane person in police code.lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
kobol said:
Thanks for the comments "Thumbs" and "Fatwoul". When I get home tonight I'll get a picture showing the details of the bow. The bow is definitely unique in comparison to my other hats and it's from Camptown. Dave Managed to reblock it keeping the bow as Ken from Camptown made it.
I learned about Wolf's Hattery at COW from Cowboy and talked to him about Dave Wolf's work which prompted me to get into contact with Dave.
From my experience so far both Dave and Ken are excellent craftsmen and great to work with.
I'm sure you'll enjoy your Camptown Fatwoul.
The hat looks great!:eusa_clap Where is cowboy? I haven't seen him post in a while.

So kobol, I take it that Wolf's Hattery is a full-service outfit. Is that right? Spokane isn't exactly next door, but I do get over that way every now and then. If Mr. Wolf does indeed clean and block and refurbish, and his prices are reasonable, well, that would be altogether good news.

kobol

New in Town
Tonyb,
From what I understand, Dave Wolf at Wolf's Hattery does indeed do everything from cleaning, reblocking to making cutom hats as well. I have his business card that states all the above.
Cowboy knows more about this than I do since he has visited the shop. It was through Cowboy's posts at COW that I learned of Dave Wolf and seeing pics of Cowboy's custom made fedora from Wolf's hattery.
Right now Dave Wolf has very quick turn around also. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart