Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown Metro...

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Righteous idea!!!

A Fed first to practice with...and then when I win the lottery this weekend (or next week)...I can order the Camptowns, a couple VS's...and then work on my project hat....:eusa_clap :D

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
A Fed first to practice with...and then when I win the lottery this weekend (or next week)...I can order the Camptowns, a couple VS's...and then work on my project hat....:eusa_clap :D

A Fed eh? Regular? Mid-Brown? You should have them mail it via me so I can see the colour!!! :rage: lol

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
:D Actually Fatwoul...I was thinking of the grey...I've heard that the brown has a slight green cast, while the deluxe has that red cast...Though I do want a brown fed-dlx.....:D
How much would that be to have them send the hat by way of you to me?...
Colby Jack

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
:D Actually Fatwoul...I was thinking of the grey...I've heard that the brown has a slight green cast, while the deluxe has that red cast...Though I do want a brown fed-dlx.....:D
How much would that be to have them send the hat by way of you to me?...
Colby Jack

Yes, My Fed Dlx does have a reddish tone to it, which Deb (I think it was Deb) described via email as a really rich chocolate brown, which I think is accurate. It really is a nice colour, and if you're wanting a brown fed, I'd say stick to that.

A greenish-cast eh? I suppose that might actually not be so bad.

It really is very kind of you to offer, but I couldn't let you divert a hat past me. I wouldn't dream of letting you wait longer for a hat (I know the wait can be excrutiating!) and I wouldn't like to open a box with someone else's hat in it. The first time the box opens it needs to be seen by the person whose hat it is. A bit like ducklings bonding with the first thing they see when their eyes open. :D

But if anybody does have a Mid Brown Fed Reg, I'd really appreciate it if they could take pictures of it under various light - outdoors, fluorescent, tungsten, etc.

Anyway, enough of this Federation talk. I'm cluttering up a Camptown thread. :eek:fftopic: Apologies.

I emailed Marcelle today and asked him if he had any photos of his Metro before he bashed it, so we might get to see an open crown.

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
If it wasn't for the sharp creases necessary in the crown of the "TVA", I'd consider putting that bash into my Fieldmaster.

Hey buddy, truly my TVA does not have any sharp creases in it.
I have worked on putting a sharp pinch in it but the felt is so soft that it hasnt taken yet and I HAVE USED NO STEAM OR WATER ON IT AT ALL.
So I would think an Open Crown type fedora like this would be a dream come true for a lot of us.

T

Thumbs

Hi, everybody. This is my hat. Thanks for all the compliments on it. I signed up here a few years back, never really posted, but I've been lurking for quite some time. I almost feel like I know everybody here and from what I've seen, you're all great folks.

Thanks to Fatwoul for helping me out so much. I figured a few people here might like to see some pictures of this hat, considering there aren't too many around. Mine is #13.
I didn't take any pictures of it open crowned, sorry. :eusa_doh: Wish I would have. I didn't use any steam or water for the bash, but it is a light job. I would use a little if I was going for anything sharper.

Deanglen, I do wear it with the flat brim. A small part of me wants to put a little shape into it, but the rest of me says leave it alone.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Greetings and salutations, Thumbs!

A big thumbs up to your being a posting member, Thumbs. You've got a hat that puts us in a fever for one just like it! Good taste in hats! I've got one I'm trying o keep the brim flat on, but I have long oval head which tends to give it some arching on the sides. Keep the pics and posts coming! Welcome, friend!

dean

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Welcome thumbs! This is an easy place to hang out in! I think I've just about dropped off the face of COW (until I get my camptown).
I wonder how Kens numbering works? If say there is just one number 13 for all camptowns or a 13 in each model. It would be neat to know in a couple years when everybody has camptown 321 something that you've got one of the first runs!

PS deanglen can you translate your sig for us latin impaired? (Don't even know if its latin, just think tis) I'm guessing something about fortune favoring the silent.

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
...PS deanglen can you translate your sig for us latin impaired? (Don't even know if its latin, just think tis) I'm guessing something about fortune favoring the silent.

I think it's more about how bravery; bravery lying in one's quiet hope or something.

Think of what the word "fortitude" means, rather than "fortune".

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
Fatwoul have you heard whether you will get your camptown by your b-day?

Nope not heard a peep. Kinda weird cos it seems Ken was in touch with Dostacos while he was away, but we all know how busy the guy is. I was going to give him a couple of days after he got back, but if I haven't heard anything I'll bug him.

But anyway, aren't you in front of me in the list?

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
Welcome thumbs! This is an easy place to hang out in! I think I've just about dropped off the face of COW (until I get my camptown)...

Yeah I still swing by, but I just don't feel I have as much to say over there as I do here.

indycop said:
...I wonder how Kens numbering works? If say there is just one number 13 for all camptowns or a 13 in each model...

My hunch tells me that Metros and Fieldmasters each have their own number sequence. The reason I think this is because Dostacos' Fieldmaster is #21, but Marcelle's Metro is #13. It wouldn't make sense for Marcelle's to be numbered so much lower than Marcelle's because they were sent out within a week of each other.

The numbers also would suggest more Fieldmasters being sold than Metros, which stands to reason as the Fieldmasters have more potential interest from the Indy nuts.

EDIT: I hope Marcelle isn't the superstitious type. lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Nope not heard a peep. Kinda weird cos it seems Ken was in touch with Dostacos while he was away, but we all know how busy the guy is. I was going to give him a couple of days after he got back, but if I haven't heard anything I'll bug him.

But anyway, aren't you in front of me in the list?

Beats me! I ordered the last week of July but I have no idea how many are ahead of me.
Whenever a hat box does show up its gonna be interesting since I won't know if its a camptown or a panama or even one of the misses hats.
When is the big day anyway?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Yeah I still swing by, but I just don't feel I have as much to say over there as I do here.

My hunch tells me that Metros and Fieldmasters each have their own number sequence. The reason I think this is because Dostacos' Fieldmaster is #21, but Marcelle's Metro is #13. It wouldn't make sense for Marcelle's to be numbered so much lower than Marcelle's because they were sent out within a week of each other.

The numbers also would suggest more Fieldmasters being sold than Metros, which stands to reason as the Fieldmasters have more potential interest from the Indy nuts.

EDIT: I hope Marcelle isn't the superstitious type. lol

Just name it lucky 13!
I had sent Ken an email last week while he was gone asking if he hasn't done mine yet if he could leave it open crown. I also asked him if he has thought about doing something like a bogie in the NOIR. I will gladly be his first customer on it, and I think it would take off for him. He really is getting a good following!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Longing...

I keep going to Ken's site...and fixating on those hats...and it's both of them...they just look like the perfect pair.....My gosh...I'm drooling again...:eek:
Yes Fatwoul...When is the big day?...
I'm still going to get the Fed first to play with...and then I'll find a way to order both of those Camptowns.
Tomorrow I'll be scanning those images of my grandfather's hat...and we'll see what we can come up with...I know the picture's were from 1942 and then '54.
Cheers
CJ

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
Beats me! I ordered the last week of July but I have no idea how many are ahead of me...

Yeah, mine didn't get paid for until 17th August, so I'm a long way down the list from you.

indycop said:
...Whenever a hat box does show up its gonna be interesting since I won't know if its a camptown or a panama or even one of the misses hats...

Yeah that will be exciting, although of course, you will be able to tell the difference between the panamas and Ken's parcel, because the panamas will have all sorts of air freight and customs stickers all over them, but Ken's will just have domestic shipping labels.

indycop said:
...When is the big day anyway?

The very last day of the month, so based on Ken's current wait time, it might just squeeze in before then. I'm not really too fussed, though. If it doesn't show up then, I'll use it as an excuse to buy another hat while I wait. :D

indycop said:
Just name it lucky 13!...

I used to live in No. 13. Never did me any harm. lol

indycop said:
...I had sent Ken an email last week while he was gone asking if he hasn't done mine yet if he could leave it open crown...

Yeah, I was happy with open crown from the start, because I enjoy that bit myself. I considered asking Ken to forget about the dimensional cut to make things easier, but I made a bit of a hamhanded effort of the brim trim on my Fed, so I decided to leave the dimensional cut with Ken.

indycop said:
...I also asked him if he has thought about doing something like a bogie in the NOIR. I will gladly be his first customer on it, and I think it would take off for him. He really is getting a good following!

Yes. Part of my wants him to sell loads, but of course part of me also wants his clientele to stay small and select, because then it feels more special. :eek:

Colby Jack said:
I keep going to Ken's site...and fixating on those hats...and it's both of them...they just look like the perfect pair.....My gosh...I'm drooling again...:eek:

I know, I know, I should have ordered both. Keep on rubbing it in. lol

Colby Jack said:
...I'm still going to get the Fed first to play with...and then I'll find a way to order both of those Camptowns...

Very sensible. I've found my Fed to be an excellent learning tool. I didn't order my AB or my Fieldmaster until I'd had my Fed a couple of days to see how it looked and see how the bash went, etc.

Colby Jack said:
...Tomorrow I'll be scanning those images of my grandfather's hat...and we'll see what we can come up with...I know the picture's were from 1942 and then '54...

You should have majormoore make you up a hat in homage to your grandad - he did a fantastic job of RBH's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR