Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown Metro...

fatwoul

Practically Family
I got an email today from a chap called Marcelle. He's not sure about posting pictures, etc, so he asked me to post the photos of his new Camptown Metropolitan for him. I'm also going to post his comments on the hat:

Marcelle said:
I am very happy with the hat. I've been wearing it daily for a week, and just working the felt with my hands. It's starting to soften up nicely. It will be buttery soft when all the stiffener works out. I've owned about 40 vintage hats, and I can tell this is a high quality felt, much better than Akubra in my mind and I do own 2 Akubra hats. I LOVE that the brim is unflanged. I didn't know if I would like that, but I'm glad I didn't request any additional brim rolling, it's perfect with just the Demi-Curl. Most people will probably style their brims, but I left mine, I figure time will do it for me.

Met01.jpg

Met02.jpg

Met03.jpg

Met04.jpg

Met05.jpg

Apparently Marcelle lurks, so I'm sure he will read any comments you leave about his new hat, but as you can see he is very pleased with it.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to proxy-posting, Marcelle! The only thing better is direct involvement! That's a great hat you have there! Grey fedoras are highly prized. Camptown does good work. Do you flip down the brim front when you wear it? I'd like to think someone wears a flat brim around here. It's the campaign hat lover in me. Love to see it on you! If you join up, I think you'll find the Lounge a great place. Guys like Fatwoul are the norm around here. Not that his name is "Norm", but he's one of many. Weak humor is allowed here too. Hope to see you in the Lounge!

dean

fatwoul

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Where can I get one? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

PM JerseyJones and get yourself on the list. He gets back tomorrow.

I cannot wait for mine. :D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for posting Marcelles Metropolitan. It is a lovely looking lid. Makes me desire mine even more. This is a great place for hat lovers in general, and lovers ov vintage style. It is a haven of good eggs.
Congratulations!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J.T., like Fatwoul said just PM JJ (Ken), or e-mail him to get the ball rolling. I can say from experience that you will love the Camptown hats.

Cheers!

Dan

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
NICE!
I'm dying to get mine!

Me too! There is no smiley which accurately conveys the sheer antsy-pantsy excitement I am experiencing about getting my CtFm.

RBH said:
Fats, you a good guy... just dont let everyone know!lol

I know. I'm fantastic. :D

RBH said:
...Great Camptown! Thanks for letting us see it, I hope you post a few of it on yer noggin'!

Hopefully Marcelle will post some of those himself. I've been trying to encourage him to post. He sounds like a nice guy.

DanielJones said:
Thank you for posting Marcelles Metropolitan...

My pleasure. It really is quite a splendid lid. Makes me wish I'd ordered one of each when I had the chance. Ah well, I've still got my Fieldmaster coming some time.

DanielJones said:
...It is a haven of good eggs...

Definitely. Did I mention I'm fantastic? :D

DanielJones said:
...I can say from experience that you will love the Camptown hats...

Stop it. You're making the wait unbearable. lol

J.T.Marcus said:

Yes I wasn't sure about posting the link directly to his site (I'm not sure if that's allowed), but most people just deal with Ken through PM or emails anyway. You can also call him, and he's a nice guy to deal with on the phone.

He's away until tomorrow, so if you do call him, give him a chance to get unpacked and stuff, but you should certainly consider one of his Fieldmasters (as I am getting), Metropolitans (as shown in this thread) or Noirs (no details of this one yet, but it is his imminent black hat offering.

I think my Fieldmaster is going to have a gentle pinch in it. My Fed Dlx now has a ridiculously cruel, tight front pinch on it, which is fine, but I just couldn't do that the lovely-looking 50/50 blend on a Camptown.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I'm gonna do the tight pinch!:D :fedora:
I am also considering going with the fieldmaster 1936 instead of an AB. Don't say that on COW! I would probably get lynched. I just don't know if I could take a year wait for an AB.

dostacos

Practically Family
indycop said:
I'm gonna do the tight pinch!:D :fedora:
I am also considering going with the fieldmaster 1936 instead of an AB. Don't say that on COW! I would probably get lynched. I just don't know if I could take a year wait for an AB.
his fieldmaster is the greatest [at least to me] and I am going to add a metro as soon as I can, he is very good to work with, keeps you informed and is on "holiday" still......I got an email from him while he was out and about. he HAD a 7 5/8s metro, not sure if it is still there or not. I want it with the same bash as pictured in this thread

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
I'm gonna do the tight pinch!...

Ouch. I've pinched my Fed Dlx too tight now, so the hat looks very angular, but I don't really mind. It was supposed to be my experimentation hat afterall. Of course I'll want to see it, but I'm thinking my Fieldmaster will be my country hat (or at least my "proper" adventure hat), and my Fed Dlx will be my town hat, and I associate tighter, more angular bashes with urban settings.

indycop said:
...I am also considering going with the fieldmaster 1936 instead of an AB...

I know what you mean. I decided to get both, since I wanted my hats to be staggered, so I ordered my CtFm and my AB pretty much the same time. I remain optimistic that my Fieldmaster will arrive for my birthday. :D

indycop said:
...Don't say that on COW! I would probably get lynched. I just don't know if I could take a year wait for an AB.

Well, it really isn't a year's wait - Steve's talking about aiming to ship out all his current orders in (I think) February-March 2008, so that is really only 6 months. So long as mine arrives before my Canada trip in June, I don't mind the wait. I've actually nearly forgotten about my AB.

dostacos said:
his fieldmaster is the greatest [at least to me] and I am going to add a metro as soon as I can...

Yeah, I really should have got both...

dostacos said:
...he is very good to work with, keeps you informed and is on "holiday" still...

He should be back tomorrow, but I'm going to wait until next week before I send any messages, so as not to swamp the guy.

...I got an email from him while he was out and about. he HAD a 7 5/8s metro, not sure if it is still there or not...[/quote]

dostacos said:
...I want it with the same bash as pictured in this thread

It is a nice relaxed pinch, isn't it? I think looser pinches like that really suit the Camptown's I've seen.

But hey, maybe Indycop will prove me wrong.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Fatwoul you can always do a double purchase when he gets the NOIR in. Now that i've seen the pic in the other thread with all the hats on the shelf at art's, I just keep thinking i've got a PB custom that despite what I may hear on COW it is a really nice hat . So maybe I should try something like one of Art's customs. Plus I don't want to just have a bunch of indy hats, I want a little variety. With what Ken's fieldmaster costs I could get one of those and one of art's shortly after or before. [huh] :eusa_doh:

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
Fatwoul you can always do a double purchase when he gets the NOIR in. Now that i've seen the pic in the other thread with all the hats on the shelf at art's, I just keep thinking i've got a PB custom that despite what I may hear on COW it is a really nice hat . So maybe I should try something like one of Art's customs. Plus I don't want to just have a bunch of indy hats, I want a little variety. With what Ken's fieldmaster costs I could get one of those and one of art's shortly after or before. [huh] :eusa_doh:

Yes! That's precisely my thinking. I don't want all my hats to end up looking like Indy hats. That's what my AB will be (although I wonder - how many people get an AB open crown and do it themselves? I'd consider that, and maybe put a looser pinch into it). So, I can experiment with my Fed Dlx, and try a different bash in my Fieldmaster (a gentler one, for me, I am sure). I'm planning on getting a Fed Reg or another Fed Dlx to try a TVA bash like RBH's. I love that hat. I just wish I could see what colour a MId Brown Regular Federation really looked like. The colour is so hard to distinguish online.

You're right. I could get a Metro when Ken comes out with the Noir, although I'm not sure I could ever get a black hat. They're just too sharp and formal for me. Even grey would be pushing it. But that's OK - I don't mind having a battery of brown hats, if they are all different browns.

As for the price of the Fieldmaster, you're right - that's good too. When I was looking at the AB and AB Deluxe, that was what immediately turned me off the ABD. I'm sure it's a nice hat, but for the price of an ABD, I could afford to get a regular AB from Steve, a Fieldmaster from Ken, AND a Fed Reg from hatsdirect to try out the TVA/RBH bash.

RBH and his hatter should set up a reshaping service, just doing those TVAs.

But yeah, if Not_Bogart's rich uncle left me a load of money too, I'd get a whole bunch of other hats. I'd get me four different Art Fawcetts - one for each season. Then, I'd get a couple of straws. I'd probably even get one of those visor straws for amusement.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
IndyCop and Fatwoul...those Camptowns are wonderful...I'm looking at those now myself...I never realized how hard this hat craze would be. I want so many...and that TVA...Wow!...I working on the pics of my grandfathers hat, and seeing about a duplicate of that one. I'll be posting that one soon. Maybe you guys can help me out.....
Cheers
Colby Jack

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
IndyCop and Fatwoul...those Camptowns are wonderful...I'm looking at those now myself...I never realized how hard this hat craze would be...

I'm selling the Camptown name all over the place just based on how they look, and how happy people are with their hats when they arrive. I can't imagine how much more enthusiastic I will be when mine shows up.

Some people would say that I might be setting myself up for an anticlimax, and that no hat could live up to my expectation, but behind all the internet big-talk, my expectations of my Fieldmaster are realistic. I am almost certain it's going to be a firm favourite when it gets here.

Colby Jack said:
...I want so many...and that TVA...Wow!...

We clearly have similar tastes. If it wasn't for the sharp creases necessary in the crown of the "TVA", I'd consider putting that bash into my Fieldmaster.

Colby Jack said:
...I working on the pics of my grandfathers hat, and seeing about a duplicate of that one. I'll be posting that one soon. Maybe you guys can help me out...

Yeah sure if you need a hand with that just drop me a PM. Looking forward to seeing it. :)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
After the tight pinch for the metro. I am considering a tawny fawn akubra with the TVA bash. That would combine both RBH's awesome TVA and fatdutchmans excellent looking hat. And it would be inexspensive with a short turnaround! I also wonder if anybody has ever tried to make a federation into a bogart style.

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
After the tight pinch for the metro. I am considering a tawny fawn akubra with the TVA bash. That would combine both RBH's awesome TVA and fatdutchmans excellent looking hat. And it would be inexspensive with a short turnaround! I also wonder if anybody has ever tried to make a federation into a bogart style.

Hahahahaha you know, when I was looking at fatdutchman's tawny fawn the other day, I was thinking "I wonder how RBH's TVA bash would look in a paler colour". True story.

Well then we have a plan. You get a tawny fawn and TVA it, and if someone can somehow show me the "true" colour of a Fed Reg, I'll get one of those and do the same.

Then RBH can start the "TVA Bash Thread". Cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda