Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown Metro...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Camptown Metropolitan #14

In the words of Squidward of the Spongebob Squarepants fame, "It has arrived!"

I love it!!:D :D

DR007.jpg

DR009.jpg

DR014.jpg

It is a tad stiff right out of the box, but man once you start playing with it it softens right up.
Ken, if you're reading these, you did a fantastic job of it. Thank you so much!!

Cheers!

Dan

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Well it's about time!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Great looking hat as expected! I know what you mean as mine is very springy. i keep strecthing the long oval in and it keeps wanting to go back to its normal shape. the brim does to, I have'nt had the time to work with it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Mine is holding the shape I put into the brim. Don't be afraid to muscle it a bit, it won't hurt the hat. It's funny, I was saying earlier this evening as I was shifting things about with the hat that I would have been afraid to do some of the things I do to hats now a few years ago. This place has taught me a lot about hats, especially the quality ones. Maybe tomorrow I'll ply a little steam to it to soften it further and set it how I like it. The felt is pliable enough to take a very tight pinch. What fun!

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It's easier than you think. It just takes a little patience. I had done my Fieldmaster with a dimensional cut, following the instructions given and just taking my time with really sharp scissors. When done cutting I did a little sanding to smooth the edge and that was it. Then all I had to do was shape it to my liking again.

Cheers!

Dan

T

Thumbs

Very nice! If I'm reading right, you said you DIDN"T use any steam for that shape? Not even the brim?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! But I can't take all the credit. Ken put in the initial bash based on photos of my Fieldmaster, I just refined it a bit to match. The brim was a basic demi curl & I had gone to town on that part to get it to match again. A little muscle softened it up rather well. It is now fairly soft with just enough spring in it to have that snap brim look.
Thus far there was no steam used in the shaping of the hat, but I do think I will apply some steam to make sure the shape is set.

Cheers!

Dan

fatwoul

Practically Family
Looks fantastic, Dan. What is also great is knowing that every time I see someone with a new Camptown, it means mine is closer to being next on Ken's list. :D

I think I've decided that unless the brim looks sombrero massive when I wear it, I am definitely going to keep my Fieldmaster brim bigger than I am now used to, because it will be my winter hat, and may accompany me to Texas in February (I have yet to confirm that trip). It's also possible I'll be in New York later in the Autumn, too, so what better time and place to be wearing an all-weather hat from Irvington, NJ?

BTW, I'm posting my trip plans because some of you might want to meet up. I am a bit annoying, though, so I don't blame you if you duck out.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
BTW, I'm posting my trip plans because some of you might want to meet up. I am a bit annoying, though, so I don't blame you if you duck out.
We already know that!lol lol :D
The fatwoul world tour! You gonna sell shirts? When's your Florida stop?

fatwoul

Practically Family
First I need the hat, then I'll plan the trip. lol

I emailed Ken to see whereabouts in the list I was, but I haven't heard back. Hope they're all OK.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, hopefully you're the next to get yours.:) Can't wait to see what you make of it.

I can't say enough good things about mine. It has that same soft feel of my field master & I'm sure it will get bunny butt soft with a little more handling. The spring of the felt softens up when you're shaping it yet it holds it shape once curled or pinched. I think a modicum of steam will set it nicely.
The leather perforated sweatband is top notch as always and the fit is nearly perfect right out of the box. Like any hat that is new there will be a break in period where you will have to play with it but it doesn't take long.

Like I've said before and I'll say it again, Ken has a good deal here with the Camptown Hats. One who desides to purchaes one won't be sorry in the least. So now I have the grey ghost twin to my Fieldmaster. I give the Metropolitan fedoras thumbs up.:fedora: :fedora:

Cheers!

Dan

fatwoul

Practically Family
Managed to speak to Ken last night. Nice guy, isn't he? I rang to find out whereabouts in the list I might be, and he told me I could be waiting a while longer as he may need to order more browns in my size. He offered me a Metro instead, and said he'd do me a deal on a Fieldmaster later, but to be honest I just can't see myself wearing a hat in that sort of grey, so I'm going to stick with the Fieldmaster and wait it out. :)

tandmark

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Well it appears that Camptown is having a "Fall into the Holdays Sale". That's some good news for those who would like a Fieldmaster or Metropolitan and may be feeling a bit of a monitary pinch. Now we should be seeing more Camptowns posted here.

Howdy,

Sure is a tempting offer! Might even be enough to get me to order a fall-winter hat that's not black or near-black, for once.

How long is Ken's turnaround these days then? Is a hat ordered during the "Fall into the Holidays" sale likely to arrive before New Year's, or before mid-summer, or . . . . ?

A long turnaround isn't any part of what I'd base a decision on, mind you. It's OK by me that quality often takes time. :fedora:

Cheers,
Mark

fatwoul

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Well it appears that Camptown is having a "Fall into the Holdays Sale". That's some good news for those who would like a Fieldmaster...

Got an email from Ken this week telling me my Fieldmaster is in, so once it has had a dimensional cut it will hopefully be on the way to me. I really hope Ken marked it up properly otherwise I'll probably get stuck with another tax bill.

Anyway, those of you considering a Fieldmaster should note the mention in Ken's COW post that he is now out of brown hat bodies, so Fieldmaster orders may take longer to complete than Metros.

I still think my Fieldmaster will be worth the wait, but it is something to keep in mind for those of you thinking of getting one for Christmas - you should check with Ken if that is going to be possible.

Good to see his business continuing, what with all the recent events.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR