Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Campus' wool jacket

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd show you this find. Picked it up for $1.50 today at a flea market. Heavy and super warm. Any estimate as to the date? Campus was popular during the '50s but the Talon zipper is an early type, isn't it?

001-45.jpg

002-40.jpg

003-34.jpg

Pocket zips:
004-27.jpg

005-21.jpg

006-28.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
The campus label was around well before the 50's. I know for sure they were around in the 1940's, although, I'm not sure if they go as far back as the 30's.

That said, that style of jacket is often associated with the 1930's and early 40's and are very much sought after - especially if they're form the 30's - for $1.50 you got yourself a screamin' deal!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
I think that particular Talon main zip is a "later" one: '50s and up.

B
T

Interesting, I've not see that one before. If I had to hazard a guess, I wouldn't have said 50's, I would've thought earlier; the zip tab looks almost art deco in styling.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure that zip (extra long pull) is a later one- seen it on some later style gear and date-able military items. The materials of the inside of the jacket probably point to a later year of manufacture, don't they..?
Do I see a polyester/nylon pile lining and quilted nylon..?

But I have been wrong once before.

B
T

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Typeface, color scheme, and quilting on the label
all scream 60s to me. Design looks early 60s, liner
looks later. All just opinion, though.

Really great jacket.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Typeface, color scheme, and quilting on the label
all scream 60s to me. Design looks early 60s, liner
looks later. All just opinion, though.

Really great jacket.

The liner really threw me. Nylon, it looks like.
The tag is very similar to another late '50s/early '60s Campus sports coat I own.

The style of the jacket looks '30s/'40s though jackets up through the '70s were often the same style.

Thanks guys, that helps me out a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn