Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone help me spend my b'day money?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Okay, All, I could use your advice here: For my birthday, I have $200 to spend, and I'm looking for a nice hat, preferably a newer one, since I just got a vintage off ebay and most of the other vintage ones I see I'm not intersted in (stingy brims, "Sinatra" looks, hombergs, etc.).

I'd love to get an Adventurebilt 100% beaver, but it's just out of range. Is the Adventurebilt rabbit really good? How does it compare with the Akubra Federation (or Fed Deluxe)?

I'm also looking at Peters Brothers' "bullet-proof" fedoras as well as their custom Indys (though I'm more intersted in a non-Indy shape). How do these rate? They told me they'd be willing to shape a "bullet-proof" with a custom tear-drop crown for $200.

Things I'm looking for in a hat: wide brim, shapeability, good weather-resistance, comfort and longevity.

Thanks for the input!

Simon

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Unless Peters Bros. has raised their prices...

The last time I talked with them a custom bulletproof fedora was $180. And I think that is a little too much. I have a Peters Bros. and it's very stiff. Really stiff. They give new meaning to the word stiff. It's a well made product, but it has a very low crown.

I don't own an Adventure Built, but I have had Steve Delk do a sweat band and ribbon replacement and he did a good job. Alot of people like his hats.

Have you tried Camptown Feildmaster? Ken has had some good reviews.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Adventurebilt

Save your $ until you have enough for the "real thing." Get the beaver and you won't have to worry about trading up after a few months.

There is no comparison to any of my numerous hats to the Adenturebilt Fedoras(4 of 'em) Steve has made for me! The beaver is so easy to style and feels luxurious next to rabbit.

jeboat :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
DOESNT ANYONE LIKE A GOOD OLD STETSON TODAY? THEY LOOK GOOD . HAHA ,JUST KIDDING . FOR 200.00 i WOULD RECOMMEND AN AKUBRA HAT . THE PROBLEM IS THAT MOST OF THE AKUBRAS HERE IN THE US ARE WESTERN OR OUTBACK STYLED HATS .SO UNLESS YOU ARE A COWBOY AT HEART ,YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO ORDER ONE FROM A STORE IN AUSTRALIA .

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Go with a custom only a little more money!

Simon82 wrote

Things I'm looking for in a hat: wide brim, shapeability, good weather-resistance, comfort and longevity.

Thanks for the input!

Simon

You can get that beaver from Steve for $225.00 he gives a discount to members here. The rabbitt is also $25.00 cheaper. He then will make you a hat that will last you and yours a lifetime. :)

http://www.adventurebilthats.com/orderPrice.asp

Bebop

Practically Family
There is nothing wrong with most Stetson hats. They may not be Adventurebuilt or Akubras but the ones I have seem to be well made and I have put mine through alot of weather without them falling apart. Chances are that you could get a nice hat for less than $200 and it will last a long time. Look at Noggintops.com for some great Stetsons. You could always borrow a couple of bucks and go for an Adventurebuilt beaver. I believe that the rabbit (wild hare) that Akubra uses is better than any other rabbit used on any other hat. Davidmorgan.com has a good selection of non-cowboy hats like the Bushman and the Squatter or the Sydney. Not the cheapest, but the best customer service I have ever experienced and that is worth a few bucks to me. So if you are going to do rabbit, do Akubra. Anyone, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Just putting two and two together to come up with my suggestions.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
If you already have $200. you are so close to a custom made beaver from Adventurebilt, you will be much happier in the long run to wait a month or so until you get the extra 35.00. Another $25 for the hat and probably around another 10 or so for the shipping. That way you can have it made exactly to your specifications. I gave Steve the exact specs I wanted and he delivered dead on.

Remember Steve used to be a Cabinet maker for years before he started making hats. He's used to measurements in the 1/8th and 1/16ths and he gives you that type of precision in his hats. If you have $200 already don't bother with an Akubra. I've had 6 Akubra's and while they are nice hats they just don't compare to Steve's hats. It's like comparing a Ford Pinto to a Rolls Royce. Sure the Pinto will take you where you want to go but if you want to go in real style you take the Rolls.

I forgot to mention that even though Steve specializes in Indiana Jones fedora's, he can make a vintage replica just as easily. Just give him the brim width and crown height and that's the way it will come. He can shape it for you if you want or do like I did and order it open crown and shape it yourself.

fedoralover

MattC

A-List Customer
My two cents

Peters Brothers hats are very very stiff. Like a cowboy hat. Not great for a fedora.

Akubra's are very well built and very durable. Not the nicest or most supplefelt. Mine is also very stiff, and it will be a hard fit if you have a long oval head. They are damn hard to adjust.

If you can stretch a little to the Adventurebuilt, do it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
How about a Camptown Fedora for around $140? It's advertised as a 50/50 Beaver Blend. You can find Kens ad over at COW for now until he gets his web site up. I have one and couldn't be happier. It comes open crowned, but he will shape it for you for a small fee. Shaping this hat is very easy though, as it is very pliable yet holds its shape very well. And, if there are enough folks interested he will be creating a gray model. Mine is shaped in a Raiders bash, but being an open crown leaves the shape up to you. It also has a ventelated sweatband as well that works well enough with a bit of a breeze.
PICT1712.jpg

But hey, that's just my two cents.

Cheers!

Dan

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That would be my second choice if I just couldn't come up with the extra dollars. I personally think it would be a better hat than the Akubra dollar for dollar because the Akubra is all rabbit, whereas you are getting 50% beaver in the Camptown. Good suggestion Daniel.

fedoralover

Simon82

One of the Regulars
All--

Thanks so much for the advice (and "happy birthdays"), everyone. It really made a difference in my decision. I'm going to reach for the Beaver Adventurebilt. Everything I've seen of Steve's looks great, and he seems to have quite a following. And since he's so good at mimicking other hats, I'm looking to get a hat like Chris Cooper's in "Seabiscuit." Can't wait!

Again, I appreciate the input.

Simon

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Fedoralover: Thank you sir!

Simon: Very good style choice indeed. When you get it we must see the pictures. That style will be my next purchase down the road.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran