Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
Does anyone know a good site with a history of belts? Or a thread? Preferably ladies. I have three 50s belts, but I really need to learn how to date belts. Help please. I couldn't find a FL-thread on this either.

(I posted this in the show us your purchases, but it's more appropriate here.)

This is a GREAT question and something I wonder about as well. Not so much about how to date belts, but about evolution of belt style and how to pick the right one to be accurate.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Can someone help me date these shoes? They are suede and the straps make me think 40s, but the heel shape from the side makes me think 60s. Any ideas?

greenside.jpg

greeninsole.jpg

greenback.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cherry lips said:
Does anyone know a good site with a history of belts? Or a thread? Preferably ladies. I have three 50s belts, but I really need to learn how to date belts. Help please. I couldn't find a FL-thread on this either.

(I posted this in the show us your purchases, but it's more appropriate here.)
The Dover books, Everyday Fashions of the 20s (and 30s, and 40s, 3 books in all) have good belts in them. Here's what I have gleaned from years of shopping:

20s: Daytime; skinny leather belts, rarely a fabric belt that matched the dress, (they are usually long lost), linked chain belts (sometimes made of celluloid or mother or pearl). Evening; beaded fabric bands that usually matched the dress, fancier link belts with jewels.

30s: Daytime; before 1933, still very skinny belts. but usually matching the dress fabric, often with two-part buckles in celluloid, Bakelite etc. After 33, they got wider, to about 2/5", and often had a metal or leather covered buckle, sometimes two part, sometimes not. Later 30s saw a trend toward very wide belts in soft suede or patent leather.

Evening; again, early 30s tended to be skinny belts, most commonly in the dress fabric and usually with a jeweled buckle, usually two part, sometimes matching the dress clips (a personal fetish of mine!).
Late 30s evening gowns tended not to have belts, but to be more structured so they didn't need it. Same into the 40s...

I can't really help you with later decades!

The best bet is to start buying old fashion magazines. that is where you will learn all the details.

Miss 1929

KittyT said:
Can someone help me date these shoes? They are suede and the straps make me think 40s, but the heel shape from the side makes me think 60s. Any ideas?

greenside.jpg

greeninsole.jpg

greenback.jpg
I think they are 60s, but really passable! Maybe even 70s which would explain the way the ankle strap looks so 40s...they're pretty! Green! You know how I get about anything green!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
I think they are 60s, but really passable! Maybe even 70s which would explain the way the ankle strap looks so 40s...they're pretty! Green! You know how I get about anything green!

Thanks. They'll be for sale if you want them and they're your size. I was waiting to get some answers here before posting them.

Mary

Practically Family
They look like early fifties shoes to me. I don't think the heel looks 60's. It's too high and to sturdy.

The front of the shoe looks very 50's and the straps and the heel makes me think of 40's shoes.

Of couse they could be from the 70's when straps were popular but they look to well-made to be that. Also I've only seen leather going down on the heel on earlier shoes.

M

Mary

Practically Family
God, can't anyone answer soon! Keep on coming back to this page to look at those shoes. The more I look the older they look. Those hells are so elegantly curved. May I ask which size it is?

M

Miss 1929

What, 6.5 EEE?

KittyT said:
Thanks. They'll be for sale if you want them and they're your size. I was waiting to get some answers here before posting them.

I have crazy wide feet. I am really 6.5 EEE, so most of the time have to wear 7s or 7.5s to get into them.... how wide are they across the ball of the foot?

I GOT A JOB! Yay, I will be making twice as much as I have for the past 4 years, this means SHOPPING again! WHOO HOO!

So, I am intrigued by the shoes...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For what it's worth, I'd rule out the '40s for those shoes -- there weren't too many Italian shoes being imported into the US in those days. The "Man Made Insole" stamp is a pointer to the '60s, as is the overall typography of the logo. High-end '60s, but '60s nonetheless.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
For what it's worth, I'd rule out the '40s for those shoes -- there weren't too many Italian shoes being imported into the US in those days. The "Man Made Insole" stamp is a pointer to the '60s, as is the overall typography of the logo. High-end '60s, but '60s nonetheless.

Actually, I just thought of something. They are marked 6M which may be another indicator of a later date? In any case, Lizzie, thank you very much for your expert take on these. I was hoping you would chime in!

Mary said:
God, can't anyone answer soon! Keep on coming back to this page to look at those shoes. The more I look the older they look. Those hells are so elegantly curved. May I ask which size it is?

Miss 1929 said:
I have crazy wide feet. I am really 6.5 EEE, so most of the time have to wear 7s or 7.5s to get into them.... how wide are they across the ball of the foot?

They are marked 6M and are 3" across the ball of the foot. I wear a 6 1/2 and have kindof wide feet, and they fit me fine - except that I have a high instep and the top of the shoe digs. Oh and the fact that I looked for green shoes forever, and now I don't wear them.

lady eel

New in Town
I agree with Lizzie on these, 60's. The heel is too thick to be 50's or 40's. They would be great for dancing though with that thicker heel

Mary said:
Also I've only seen leather going down on the heel on earlier shoes.

M

I am not sure what you mean by this as I have seen, sold, and worn shoes from every decade with leather heels.
In fact leather on the heels is less likely to be found on shoes from WWII times due to leather having military use. Other skins were used like croc and alligator.

Mary

Practically Family
Lady Eel. Yeah you must be right there. It's just that I used to be a sixties gal and on the shoes I've found there's rarely been leather on the heels and not good leather like this one. The leather looks very think and of good quality so this is probably and high end shoe as others have said. Most shoes I have have plastic soles and the ones with leather soles aren't the natural leather colour. But I shouldn't go so much on my own experience, I know that now. I was more into the mod sixites look (plastic, low heels) and this isn't it. But of course there were other styles I don't know much about.

M

cemetarian

Vendor
I need some real help dating this Dress!

When I first got it I thought it was 40's. Then in looking as some late 30's patterns I decided it was late 30's, and then I changed my mind and decided it was early 40's........and now I just don't know.

The pleated sleeve caps could be either (they have that little shelf, not a pad but a shelf).

Any help would be vastly appreciated. It's hom made by the way and a rayon Jersey, so it's clingy.

C638_Mustard.jpg

C638_Mustard_(2).jpg

cemetarian

Vendor
Well it measures 39 inches from the neck to the hem, which is pretty short for either era.......although they didn't differ much from 38-45.....

Reckon it could be later.....it just doesn't look or feel War Years........but .... maybe......

That's why I'm asking.......it's an enigma for me.

Oh and my Mani is 6 foot tall so everything looks short on her.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cemetarian said:
When I first got it I thought it was 40's. Then in looking as some late 30's patterns I decided it was late 30's, and then I changed my mind and decided it was early 40's........and now I just don't know.

The pleated sleeve caps could be either (they have that little shelf, not a pad but a shelf).

Any help would be vastly appreciated. It's hom made by the way and a rayon Jersey, so it's clingy.

How many gores in the skirt? If it's a very broad sweepy skirt, it's not war era -- fabric regulations and all. Could be 1940-41 though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy