Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Candy Cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
*Groan*

I'm not a smoker, have never been a smoker, and never understood why anyone would go to great lengths to make themselves look and smell good only to mask it all with smoke and the smell of smoke.

I remember the candy cigarettes from the 60s when I was a kid. I liked them from time to time. I grew up with a mother who smoked. People all around me smoked. And yet, somehow, I managed not to do it.

I grew up with drugs being available around me. Somehow, I managed not to do it.

I grew up with toy guns, playing cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, soldiers at war. Somehow I grew up without thinking using a gun on others for fun is OK.

Maybe I just had parents who taught me well. Maybe those anti-drug/cigarette campaigns worked. Maybe I just wasn't interested.

Why should anyone take responsibility for their own actions when there are so many out there willing to say it's not their fault, they were exposed to it as a kid?

I'm getting rather tired of it all...

Cheers,
Tom

Jay

Practically Family
I find it funny that they still have to drag the tobacco companies into the article. They don't make candy cigarettes or sponsor them. I wish the whole issue would just be dropped. I smoke, and I blame no one but myself.

Yes I enjoyed candy cigarettes when I was little. I was elated when I won a "carton" of them on the boardwalk in Wildwood when I was about 10. Did they ever think that kids like them because it mirrors something adults do? Who didn't want to be grown-up when they were young? I didn't want to be bothered with bedtimes and school and all that stuff.

Thus concludes my out-of-the-blue rant. My apologies.

Doh!

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
I'm not a smoker, have never been a smoker, and never understood why anyone would go to great lengths to make themselves look and smell good only to mask it all with smoke and the smell of smoke.

I remember the candy cigarettes from the 60s when I was a kid. I liked them from time to time. I grew up with a mother who smoked. People all around me smoked. And yet, somehow, I managed not to do it.

I grew up with drugs being available around me. Somehow, I managed not to do it.

I grew up with toy guns, playing cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, soldiers at war. Somehow I grew up without thinking using a gun on others for fun is OK.

Ditto, sir.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I remember them with the powdered sugar dusted around the bubble gum cigs. Youd blow them, and the 'smoke' would come out lol

How stupid. The gimmick is to trigger an oral fixation, so later in life, its imprinted on the potential user triggering a 'happy memory'.

There is nothing of a bigger smoker detourent than seeing a parent wither away and die because of it.

LD

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
I loved them as a kid, I definitely don't smoke.

Although, I have to say, for me, I didn't really prentend to smoke them...maybe for a minute. I think I just ate them. lol

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Candy cigarettes lead to harder stuff... bubblegum cigars.
When I had my first son I wanted to hand out gum cigars and had a hard time finding them.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.nostalgiccandy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=2&Page=2

Surprised the Target store hasn't sued them. :p
I smoked as a teen up till time I got pregnant with first child. My father died from lung cancer with mesothelioma and father in law with lung cancer smoking 2 packs of Pall Mall without the filter. My 2 grown children have now quit thank the Lord. I do detest cigarettes but I also am a bit tired of the no self responsibility trend.

I loved the wax lips and orange whistle like harp you could play music on, chic o stik, and a long time ago the little coke bottles. lol

Novella

Practically Family
I loved candy cigarettes as a kid. I can still vividly remember one trip to an amusement park where my cousin and I "smoked" dozens of candy cigarettes over a few hours. They were tasty sticks of sugar, how could I not like them? I haven't turned into a smoker now though, and the sugar sticks didn't sway me to think smoking actual cigarettes is something I should do. I like sugar, not tobacco.

Foofoogal

Banned
I vividly remember sitting under a grape vine wooded area with my brother. I was probably about 7 and he was about 9. ( He was always getting me in trouble) :p He caught part of the vines on fire because we were actually trying to smoke the grape vine. lol
Creative kids know how to improvise.

Tango Yankee said:

Maybe I just had parents who taught me well. Maybe those anti-drug/cigarette campaigns worked. Maybe I just wasn't interested.

Why should anyone take responsibility for their own actions when there are so many out there willing to say it's not their fault, they were exposed to it as a kid?

I'm getting rather tired of it all...

Cheers,
Tom

Well said. I don't need to add another thing. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Masamunect

New in Town
I think my grandmother has a mr potatoe head with a pipe.

As far as the candy cigarettes go, I think it's all malarkey, unless you don't teach your kids better then they might go and do that. When it all comes down to it it's the damned parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24