Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't wait to see this one...

Stoney

Practically Family
Pilgrim,

Thats a great looking Homburg and quite old as well. Note the pleated liner, transparent fabric over the Resistol Logo and the unreeded sweatband. Since Fedoras are a dime a dozen compared with quality vintage Homburgs, I would leave it as is. You have made a great score there for $22.00 the hat is worth much more.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ah, Pilgrim, Pilgrim, Pilgrim...

You're not the first to post a recent homburg purchase with an announcement of "fedoraizing" in the poor hat's future! And generally, the consensus of the crowd tends to be that if you want a fedora, buy a fedora--don't ruin a perfectly lovely vintage homburg to do so! :eusa_doh:

When it comes in put in a center crease; perhaps a couple of side dents, if you're so inclined. Then wear it as is--who knows, you might grow to like it that way! :p

Oh, and once you've put it on--pictures!

Cheers,
Tom

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I will see what it looks like when I get it home. I am not a homburg wearer, so it has no utility for me in that mode. OTOH, I may decide to re-sell it here. Depends on what the brim setup looks like and what color it turns out to be...I have some niches in my hat line already filled.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Pilgrim, you got a very nice hat at a great price. I have one exactly like it. I will go out on the limb one more time and repeat what I have posted before. It is YOUR HAT, DO WITH IT AS YOU WILL.

The before of my Resistol "10"

MVC-388F.jpg

MVC-389F.jpg

MVC-390F.jpg

MVC-391F.jpg

the after

MVC-422F.jpg

MVC-421F.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I'm in two minds about this one.... I'm loathe to convert a great hat, but on the other hand I certainly understand the desire to turn a hat one wouldn't wear into something one would.... As ever, of course, this is the choice of the owner alone. I'm sure a factor in the decision is that, despite their apparently being rarer, hombergs simply don't fetch what a fedora will on eBay.

That conversion is a fine looking job, Bud. Looks to me like you've restyled the crown in a more fedora style, then left the brim largely alone, or have you curled it down a little in the manner of the snap-brim homberg? It's a little hard to tell from the photo.

I have three homs in my collection - two are left as is (one black Dobbs, one light grey Champ), the other (a Herbert johnson for Brooks Brothers) came with it's brim left alone, but the crown bashed like a fedora, with a centre dent and sharp pinch. I like both styles (the undented hom has especially grown on my since I got used to higher crowns with my Federations). I'm especially fond of the Homberg with the Fedora-type bash in the crown. The curled brim gives it a touch of the dandy, while not being quite as formal as a more traditionally shaped homberg. Very Mick Collins. ;) Might be a good option to start with - means you can always reblock and experiment with it as a more traditional look later on?

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mr. Pilgrim

T. Y. has a point. Sell me that "moth-eaten" "humbug" and keep shopping for a fedora. I'll be glad you did. You'll also win good favor from the Society for the Presevation of the Homburg (if there was such a thing).

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Bud, your post is rather inspirational! That Resistol looks like an exact twin of mine, but lighter in color (I think). Even says "ten" in the sweatband.

I may use your work as a model - looks like you did the crown, and added a little tweak front and possibly in back. Very nice, and a distinctive look that's much closer to fedora than homburg.

Failing that, Senor Boodles, as Inspector Clouseau once said, "we may have speaks". :p

Boodles

A-List Customer
Mr Pilgrim

Pilgrim said:
Bud, your post is rather inspirational! That Resistol looks like an exact twin of mine, but lighter in color (I think). Even says "ten" in the sweatband.

I may use your work as a model - looks like you did the crown, and added a little tweak front and possibly in back. Very nice, and a distinctive look that's much closer to fedora than homburg.

Failing that, Senor Boodles, as Inspector Clouseau once said, "we may have speaks". :p

Actually sir, that is Chief Inspector. I just now looked up the OFAS link and noticed in the description that your new hat measured 22-1/2 -3/4. 22-1/2 is as big as I can wear. If it's actually 22-3/4 someone else with more brain capacity than myself may have to save the thing from going under the fedoraization knife. That should not be a problem for so nice a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran