Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas Sports Shoes

Doug C

Practically Family
Considering that you can't get anything even close to it in a normal size, they look pretty nice, and that price makes 'em even better!

Doug C

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Boston.com said:
The shoes may someday be marketed in the United States, but are first being sold overseas. [...] they are marketed as "National Treasure Vintage," which has whetted the appetite of Japanese designers who love anything American retro.
And the Japanese feeling that high price confers prestige helps keep a lot of repro American stuff out of the American market. :mad:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I like them, but if I had to choose between those and a similarly styled Chuck Taylor, the Converses would win. I just don't care for the "PF Flyer" lettering on the front of the rubber. Besides, you apparently cannot purchase PF Flyers anywhere in the state of Michigan, yet Chucks are available on every corner. I won't buy shoes I can't try on first.

-Dave

Burnsie

tonyb said:
How much scratch?
The PF Flyers reissues run between $50-$70 depending on the model. More than new Converse but a good deal less than the Japanese made premium repro's (Mill Reef, etc.).

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I bought a low pair from Zappos and love them!! My big beef with All-Stars is that, at least in my experience, fall apart VERY quickly. I hope my sassy new kicks hold up better! Plus, the PF Flyers are WAAAY comfy and have much better arch support.

Edward

Bartender
PFs do indeed have better support - I'm planning on picking some up eventually myself. Also in the plus corner is that current owners, New Balance, have an excellent ethical reputation. At one time I wore nothing but Converse when it came to sneakers, but I stopped wearing them when Nike bought them out.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I'm a 'Jack Purcell' man myself. I have a couple of boxes I've never worn yet. Hard to find these days!

-dixon cannon

I just got a white pair of Jack Purcell's from the clearance rack at Marshall's ($9.99) not too long ago. You may want to check places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I like the Jack Purcell's style, but I'm not sure how I feel about wearing white sneakers. I feel like I'm wearing two big neon signs on my feet.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My next purchase will be the even tougher to find, Spring Court Trainers,
the French tennis shoe of choice. John Lennon wore a pair across Abbey Road.
springcourt.jpg

-dixon cannon

Burnsie

flat-top said:
GAH! Thanks alot! I just bought these Bob Cousy models to add to my already ridiculously large collection of sport shoes!
Let us know how you like 'em! I've been wearing my navy blue center hi's all day and I must say they're about the most comfortable shoes I've ever had on my feet.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
David Conwill said:
I just don't care for the "PF Flyer" lettering on the front of the rubber.

-Dave
I just got my pair today (Zappos has free overnight delivery!!), and the standard navy blue pair of Bob Cousy 1956 style did not have the lettering in the front of the rubber. Only the logo on the back. Very authentic looking!

Burnsie

flat-top said:
I just got my pair today (Zappos has free overnight delivery!!), and the standard navy blue pair of Bob Cousy 1956 style did not have the lettering in the front of the rubber. Only the logo on the back. Very authentic looking!

Great - now I'll have to get a pair of these in addition to the center hi's I just got!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto