Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas Sports Shoes

jake431

Practically Family
Speedster said:
They are cool shoes even though i also tend to get sweaty feet in them.:D

I like them a lot.

I've found that with canvas shoes, the important thing is how tight I lace them. If I don't lace them too tight, my feet don't get sweaty, but if I try to lace them up snuggly as if I were going to play sports in them, then they do get sweaty. But, I only wear them for general walking around, casual wear, and they don't need to be too tight.

Now, leather sports shoes, they make my feet hot no matter what I do. Except for Adidas shelltoes, they're basically perfect (but hardly vintage in the same way these canvas sneakers are, so I didn't post them).

-Jake

jake431

Practically Family
Mr. Rover said:
I am in love with your red Chucks. Are they vintage or repro?

The Pf Flyers are pretty cool too.

The Chucks are 1946 reproductions Converse made either last year or two years ago. They came in Red, Parchment, and Navy. I really wanted a Parchment pair but I missed the boat. The green pair behind them I got more recently; they're a 1946 reproduction made in hemp by Converse. I got them from their website.

The Pf Flyers you can get from zappos and I heartily recommend them. I find them to me far more comfortable than modern chucks and more distinctive looking. The brand is now owned by New Balance, just like Converse is owned by Nike.

-Jake

Jay

Practically Family
I, as of late have been wearing white low-top Chuck Taylors. I got 'em after I noticed how Hunter Thompson always wore them. First pair of white sneakers I've ever had.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Check out this thread

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=3888
JosephC_Brandstetter-vi.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Squishing Toes

Tony in Tarzana said:
My PF Flyers squish my toes too much, even though they fit fine otherwise.

All sneakers are comfortable to start it's after a few hours in summer that they get "squishy" and you start to get "foot rot" .... I exaggerated the last bit!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Cap toes, and sneakers!

Stacy Adams makes a black and a brown captoe boot. They tend to.... paint (?) their leather rather than dye it, but the black isn't terrible. Check 'em out.

Sneakers: I thought Jack Percells were correct? I think robertsshoestore.com carries some, although with the ever-popular Chuck Taylors.

Jp

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cowboy76 said:
Ok guys and gals....questions on what's available these days in the world of shoes and sneakers...

First,
PF Flyers.
My question, which style that can be found on the internet is correct for 1930s-40s,..IF any??
LizzieMaine, you once said you owned a pair,..have any info on them versus what's out there that's available?

Mine are the canvas high-top "Center" style, which was first introduced in the mid-'40s, and the current repros appear to be a pretty close match to the type of gym sneaker worn by both men and women in that era. Mine are "natural canvas" white, but black would also be period-appropriate.

pf_flyers_hi.jpg

They're similar to the traditional Chuck Taylor Converse shoes, but have a thicker sole and a lower ankle -- and are much more comfortable. Only sneakers I can comfortably wear, in fact.

cowboy76

Suspended
Found a little site dealing with vintage sneakers,....
http://sneakers.pair.com/m-jack.htm

The Jack Purcell's still being made (via converse):
jack-6c.jpg

Did they ever REALLY make a pair of LEATHER Jack Purcell's or any other old sneaker in the Golnden Era?? You see them here and there and I could swear that I had seen either an ad or photo where they were actually leather??

LizzieMaine

Bartender
cowboy76 said:
How do they FIT,..do they run small, large, or dead on? I know about a year ago I was in a retail outlet locally and they had just a few PF FLyers when they came out, I tried on a pair and they were very small,...I THINK I tried on my usual size??

Well, I had to buy a men's size, which runs a size and a half smaller than the size I usually wear, but they fit quite nicely with no crowding or cramping. I take a B or C width in women's shoes, which is rather narrow when translated to a men's shoe, so it may be if you have wider feet they might feel a bit tight. The arch-support insole, however, is a wonderful thing.

Flivver

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Mine are the canvas high-top "Center" style, which was first introduced in the mid-'40s, and the current repros appear to be a pretty close match to the type of gym sneaker worn by both men and women in that era. Mine are "natural canvas" white, but black would also be period-appropriate.

pf_flyers_hi.jpg

They're similar to the traditional Chuck Taylor Converse shoes, but have a thicker sole and a lower ankle -- and are much more comfortable. Only sneakers I can comfortably wear, in fact.

In 1955, when I was four years old, PF Flyers were heavily advertised on television. I badgered my parents until they bought me a pair in the hi-top style.

Boy, was I ever disappointed when I tried them on at home, and discovered they wouldn't make me fly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy