Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas Sports Shoes

SGB

One of the Regulars
Neat thread.
I bought a pair of PF Flyers black high tops last year in Indianapolis, still have to wear them though. I still have an old original pair of my black high top Joe Lapchicks that still fit, I'm just afraid to wear them and maybe damage them. Also have a few pair of the USN green and black WWII era high tops, all originals, and one pair of brown with a smooth sole for parachute packing crews.....so they wouldn't hurt the silk, smooth soles.

SGB

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Wonderful party. Shame I wasn't invited.
I do admire the guards. Shame I have to kill them all.

DSCF6797-vi.jpg

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Casual shoes of the Golden Era

What kinds of shoes are out there that mimic the styles of the 1930s, for casual wear? I'm looking for something comfortable - maybe a crepe or rubber sole, and very soft upper construction - something like suede, or very supple leather.

I have two pairs of Allen Edmonds spectators (black and white, brown and white) but with their leather soles and uppers, aren't exactly what I have in mind. Another pair of black and white spectators I own are great - they have a crepe sole and buttery soft leather uppers - I've walked five miles, all over NYC, in them before.

I once owned a pair of tan suede shoes with flexible soles, with the suede in a wingtip pattern. Again, very comfortable, casual, but with a bit of flash. I'm looking for something like that - something other than sneakers.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
here's my casual shoes
reissue of 1930s PF flyer ringsides. Sort of sneakers, sort of not. Green leather and creme herringbone canvas, with a rubber sole.
now out of production.:rage:
985-155577-t.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't got a scanner to show you the original pics, but I've got a book at home titled "Everyday Fashions of the Forties as Shown in Sears Catalogues" that features men's casual shoes that look just like these 'chukka' shoes:

chukka.jpg

These shoes are available online from www.violetpromotions.co.uk, although there may be cheaper options closer to home. Here in Sydney, Raben footwear sell crepe-soled suede chukkas and similar shoes for soemtimes as low as $50. Happy hunting!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Espadrilles

Tomasso said:
Espadrilles are classic Golden Era Summer/Resort shoes. Think linen clothing, a Panama hat and espadrilles.

I have a love/hate realtionship with those things. I have worn them in the Greek Isles back in the 80s but even with rubber on them the inners are hard to bear. This year they are making a comeback.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
cookie said:
They are so awesome I do not know why they are out of production....maybe the Loungers can make it happen????
They're great shoes.
I know I'd buy another pair (but not at 78 bucks)

jake431

Practically Family
Vintage and Vintage Sytle Sneakers

I took these photo's for another board, but I thought they might be welcome here as well. What vintage sneakers do you wear? I guess technically these are reproductions of vintage sneakers, but I'm sure you all knew what I meant. Not counting a pair of Jack Purcell's, these are what I wear:

Converse:
IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

Pf Flyers & ProKeds:
IMG_1163.jpg

Something about these types of sneakers, I'm a sucker for. I can't help it.

-Jake

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Sneakers

I have always (and so does my son) found the Converse sneakers to be very sweaty after hours of use. Why did they become so popular?

jake431

Practically Family
That's interesting; I've always found the reverse to be true - leather sneakers get far funkier on me than canvas ones.

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic