Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas Sports Shoes

Edward

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
They're similar to the traditional Chuck Taylor Converse shoes, but have a thicker sole and a lower ankle -- and are much more comfortable. Only sneakers I can comfortably wear, in fact.

I believe that's due to the patented "Posture Foundation" sole, which, reading the wikipedia entry, I see is much more significant than just the improved arch support as compared to the Converse models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pf_flyer

FWIW, Jack Purcells were around back in the day, however, they were a PF Flyer model, not Converse. Converse, having bought out PF Flyer from original owners BF Goodrich in 1972, kept the rights to that model for themselves when they later sold off the rest of the PF Flyer rights due to antitrust concerns.

I was a big Converse fan right up until 2003 when Nike bought them out, which was the end of it for me, conscience forbidding buying a Nike product. PF Flyers appeared in the UK again around and about that time, and owners New Balance have an excellent ethical reputation as far as I can established, so I foresee several pairs of those on my horizon... maybe a pair or two for next summer, once funds improve and the weather for canvas footwear arrives. :)

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Retro Chuck Taylors

I remember in the mid to late 80's Converse had the anniversary model- 60th? 70th? I dunno, but they were black with black rubber. Looked cool actually- however I was into skateboarding at the time so I burned through a pair about every 3 weeks. Oops.... Not that they would fit me now.

Doug C

Practically Family
So, there's no more Keds "Title Bout" to be had anywhere (for a 10.5) ?? Man that's just my luck!

Doug C

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
My wife and I each have a pair of very old Converse All Stars - mine are black and hers' are white. Actually, I think her All Stars date to highschool days of the late 40's. My wife graduated from highschool in 1947-48 and I graduated in 1948-49(same highschool). During the 1930's and 1940's, you never wore sneakers for everyday wear. They were strictly for tennis, basketball, volley ball or other sports. I started playing tennis at a very young age (in the 1930's) and would either go to the tennis courts barefoot or with regular shoes and then change to tennis shoes and socks to play tennis. I really don't remember ever seeing anyone wearing tennis shoes or sneakers just for everyday wear. I sort of think it just wasn't "done". During the golden era there was more of a tendency to dress for the occasion, whatever it might be. Also, for tennis older fellows wore white long flannels, younger guys wore white shorts and girls wore short white dresses, NEVER shorts. I grew up in the South, so it may have been different in urban areas, but I doubt it was. (Other than going barefoot until ten years or so old - LOL).

Bill

Edward

Bartender
Seems to me the sneaker as a shoe really arrived with the teenager and rock and roll in the fifties?

I seem to remember that when I was at primary school (elementary? aged 4/5 through 11) from 79 through 86, there was a slow drift from leather shoes to trainers. As I recall, the first three years or so involved us wearing proper leather shoes to school and changing into indoor "gutties" when we got there (probably only Paddy and maybe one or two others on here know that word lol ). For the first few years, indoor shoes were all-black, slip-on plimsoles, the kind with the tongue-shaped elastic panel on the top of the foot. Thereafter, more modern style trainers started to creep in. I think by the time I was in my final year there, we were wearing the trainers to and from school as well as there. Outside of school, it was probably around 1983 that trainers became the default footwear as opposed to summer weather shoes.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I started school in 1968, and sneakers were absolutely not allowed for anyone except on the one day a week when we had gym -- everyone wore regular leather shoes all the rest of the time, and no one would have even considered doing otherwise on pain of being sent home to change. And the idea of a *teacher* showing up in sneakers was no more likely than that same teacher dancing naked at the top of the flagpole.

We did wear sneakers in the summer, of course -- but usually they were cheap knockoffs such as you could get for $2 a pair at Grants, blue or white imitation Keds for girls, and black imitation PFs for boys. You'd get them in June as soon as school let out and they'd be tattered ruins by September.

The rules didn't change on sneakers-in-school until probably 1972 or 1973, about the same time jeans were allowed and girls were permitted to wear pants.

haruspex

New in Town
Not exactly what you're looking for as these aren't "period correct". However, they are classy and made of THE softest leather I've ever seen on a pair of shoes. As a die hard sneaker head I can say with much conviction that these are some of the nicest shoes I've been able to get my hands on.

Reebok L.S. supremes:
6lkeauu.jpg

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
One of the things I forgot to mention is that the Converse tennis shoes of the 30's and 40's (and I guess earlier, too) stunk to high heaven. I think in later years that got resolved, but in earlier times they stunk, bad! It must have been a combination of sweat and either the rubber or maybe how the canvas was dressed.

I remember we always had to leave them out either on the back porch or preferably in the barn (what we called our garage). Never did learn why they had that "unique" smell. Anyone have any information on what made this so?

Bill

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This thread made me remember a brand of sneaker called Red Ball Jets. Here's what I found when I Googled them. They were made from 1951 till 1971, so not quite 30's - 40's. This page has lots of fascinating info on the subject.
I think the "teenager" as we know him/her today was one of those social changes that took place during WW II. Archie Comics, somewhat to my surprise, started just before the War, I think 1939, and Archie could be called America's first teenager. Also, the 1947 movie "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer" is all about teen culture. They show a high school basketball game where all the players have classic black high top sneakers. Speaking of which, :)offtopic: ) I saw a 1945 screen test of Marlon Brando for "Rebel Without a Cause". That's right, 1945. So teenage angst as it was celebrated in the 50's, was definitely a 40's phenomenon also.
Oh yes, those late 30's Nancy Drew flicks show teenagehood in the 30's. Might check out the footgear in them, as well.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Doggonit Matt! You guys are nothing but trouble!!!

1st it's the hats... Then a cap here and there... Then it's a few suits and the half dozen leather jackets... Now you have to show me shoes like this!!!!

Alrighty then!!!

I would be very grateful for the contact info for the preferred vendor of those sharp Ringsides..

And since we're putting together a vintage boxing presentation... Which pair of shoes would you suggest for our fighters since the Keds are out of production???? Doug C, I'm in the same boat my friend!!

Thanks again you guys!! Man this brings back memories.... I gotta go find my old Lucero II Schmitt Stick!!!

Ryan

Familiar Face
Those Keds can be found on the Keds site. Look under "sale", only drawback is limited size left. Converse still has their vintage shoes. I saw the vintage leather hightops. On sale for 79 bucks. Another option for you is to build a pair of converse. You can pick out color for the shoe, lining, laces, stitches and rubber heel. This is for the regulars as well as the leather shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy