Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas Sports Shoes

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
jitterbug1.949b.jpg

Blackjack

One Too Many
Man oh man, PF Flyers!!! I had no idea they were making those again, and in the old school style! I remember wearing those and Red Ball Jets as a kid, I think it was Johnny Quest who they used to advertise PF's. Too cool...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Matt Jones said:
Ringsides are now in stock at Zappos! Also available in green:

RingsideGreen.jpg

Man alive! I like the green ones. For those of you who own a pair of PF Flyers, how is the all day walking comfort? How is the arch support? Are the insoles replaceable?

Cheers!

Dan

Zach R.

Practically Family
Actually, they are probably the most comfortable shoes I've had in a long time, even moreso than my modern lightweight New Balance shoes.

Like Matt touched on, the "Posture Foundation" may not be perfect for everyone, like those with extremely flat feet w/no arches, because it *does* offer considerable arch support.

But for me, it almost feels like you're not wearing shoes at all(which is the mark of a quality shoe, IMO).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My PF's

The white hi-tops illustrated above offer plenty of "road feedback." :)
I can feel all the stones underfoot. But I like that - sort of like moccasins.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't know about the ringsides, though I do know that the Derbys are thin in the sole.

The 1946 Converse are really much cooler than the picture lets on and they feel better than regular Converse. They are limited so if you are going to get a pair get them now... I don't know if they are going to put them out again anytime soon. I have a pair of the Low Top 1946's coming too and will post pics when they arrive.

Yes they had low tops back then... they were the Tennis shoes.
vintage-parchment-low-lrg.jpg

I still need some ringsides.

Zach R.

Practically Family
The ringside's arch isn't terribly high, its pretty moderate as far as I can tell(but I'm certainly not a shoe expert either).

To answer another question: you cannot feel the pebbles and such underneath your feet very much at all compared to Jacks from my experience, the sole is pretty solid.

I'm definitely getting another pair of shoes from PF, has anyone bought a pair of the Number 5s yet?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I've had a few questions from friends on the street, so here are a few answers.

The 1946 repro Converse are no more comfortable on the sole when walking than modern Converse. There are a few minor differences. One, better heel fit; The 1946 repros come in snug around the heel; two, The thicker old school laces which are flattened tubes have a stretchy give to them that allows a more fitted comfort to the top of the foot without being constraining... they stretch a bit. I guess these are the style laces Converse used to use before they switched over to the flatter non tube laces they have been using since the 1980's. The cotton used in the shoes is thicker. The rubber used for the soles has more flexability when new.

As for the PF Flyers, I only have the Derby's and from what I can tell they run a bit narrow on the foot. Much different fit than Converse. Thinner sole and with much more wearing are a little less comfortable than the Converse, though they look really really awsome.

I wear a size US
9 1/2 ee dress shoe.
10 regular trainer
10 PF Flyers
9 Converse

Converse run nearly a full size larger than regular US sneaker shoe sizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou