Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cap Fabrics

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes when I go to a fabric store I come across colors and patterns and I ask myself, "would this make a nice vintage style cap?"

I thought it would be helpful to have a thread with just fabrics that we would like to see made into caps. There are so many styles, patterns and colors to choose from and also depending on the time of year, from cool linens to thick tweeds, and not to mention the tons of VTG fabrics that are out there too. Some of us have posted fabrics under The Cap Faction already, but we can continue doing that here if that's ok with everybody. :)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
There are so many fabric's to choose from. I am not a big fan of bold patterns. I like tan and green and blue shades of fabric as I can wear them with almost anything. A basic cotton twill in tan is a great everyday cap that is not made much in other than the cheap cap's common today. I love Donegal tweed and a good Denim in a cap also. Not a fan of tarten plaid in a cap as it is kind of bold and I wear cap's back and forth to work a lot an tarten plaid is not a basic cap.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I second Ed´s opinion regarding the patterns. Bold is not for me as well. OTOH I like my cap fabric kind of "coarse". All Tweeds and coarser fabrics are fine, especially when they are brownish or greenish. For summer caps I can´t seem to get used to the look of linen or cotton caps. No idea why, but I prefer grey, striped fabrics like the ones you would use for suits (the pattern and color, not necessarily the fabric).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm a great fan of herringbone fabrics for caps, like these:

BEIGE%20HERRINGBONE%20HARRIS%20TWEED_jpg.jpg

h_%20MAREE%20TWEED_jpg.jpg

z1_%20GLENHUNT%20GREY%20HERRINGBONE%20TWEED_jpg.jpg

LIGHT%20BLUE%20HERRINGBONE_jpg.jpg

I especially like herringbone when, like these fabrics, you can really see the pattern and it isn't lost in one shade.

i would also be rather keen on having a cap made from moleskin. i don't know whether moleskin has ever been popular with cap makers, but i like its rigidity. I think it could work really well for a broad flat cap - the fabric would really hold its shape.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Man I love to have a HH cap like in that ad, what year is the ad dated? And for a Buck & 39.cents
:cool:
Mr freedom horsehide 6 panel cap
232323232%7Ffp73458%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C29%3B965%3B34%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63588%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C29%3B964934%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp6355%3A%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C29%3B968834%3Bnu0mrj

the bottom pic shows mr freedom wool fabrics.. supposed to be up to 100 year old stuff they found in France
The horsehide is processed as was the old days

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, your right. It would probably look nice, but would be for loungers who live in colder places. Here in California the weather is kind of crazy in winter. could be cold one day, and then warm the next.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Yup
if i wear my leather cap i bring a extra fabric cap just in case of the climate change...if i go to San Francisco its a must..... i work there & keep 2 diffrent type of work caps there & extra sweaters.
Johnny J
the HorseHide is not as hot as a sheepskin cap really... now if i get a ratty HorseHide Jacket ill cut it up for you to sew me up a 8 point...
Al's Attire my tailor a while back made 2 out of a old HH jacket i had..

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I was just real curious after Feraud mentioned leather, so I whipped this up real quick to get an idea, but its not finished yet. I need to get to work on other caps. I do notice that a leather cap needs good padding underneath to keep its shape. This one is sitting over another cap.

IMG_0418.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner