Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cap-firing Tommys

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
OK so the price is kinda crazy..

But these look fun for inside during the off season and indoor reenactment

http://www.wwiiguns.com/store/product_catalog.php?c=8

They also have videos of a Military tommy

http://www.wwiiguns.com/photos.html

I also ran into the Airsoft verions which might be just as fun if you don't shoot the BBs inside

http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=Airsoft_gas_blowbacks&Store_Code=R

Cheaper version with video

http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=Airsoft_gas_blowbacks&Store_Code=R

http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/me...a1&Category_Code=High-Grade-AEGs&Store_Code=R

I suppose these would work for things from gangland sh-tuff to WWII resistance????

Toys! toys! and more toys!!

Anyone own any of the above mentioned??? I've only been using the real sh-tuff and not sure if they're worth it.....

Cheers!

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
During the summer, I was big into Airsoft. I have a great m1911, and it's much cheaper while maintaining realistic weight and feel. Plus, it's spring -- more sturdy, less finicky.

UHC 1911, 15 bucks:
AP-UA-961B.htm

I also have an m14. Great quality. 100 bucks:

yhst-71071575345129_2026_13882766

There's also real-steel Airsoft Thompsons made from the body of an actual Thompson, but those are a cool grand about.

Also, for any of you into enactment, get into Airsoft! It doesn't hurt badly, and it's so much fun! There's huuuugeee WWII events where you must be period accurate. They sometimes even bring in helicopters, jeeps, and tanks(!!):
IMG_2450.jpg

DerMann

Practically Family
A while back a Chinese company released a clone of the Tokyo Marui M1A1 Thompson in full metal and it retail for about $150 (at most). It's a great alternative to cap firing guns, although the sound produced is much different.

WE Tech makes several models of the 1911, including the original 1911A1. It can be had for as little as $90 and is of good quality. It's gas operated, so the slide reciprocates each time the trigger is pulled. Great fun

I sold my WE 1911 to a friend and bought a WE Luger P08. Same quality except it has the insanely entertaining toggle action (still gas operated).

I think VFC makes a full metal/wood BAR, however, it costs upwards of $1000.

Tanaka makes a Garand, M1, and possibly M2 carbine (all full metal/wood). They're upwards of $300, depending on what you want, but all of amazing quality.

Spent too much time with airsoft...

Edward

Bartender
Love the Thompson. A cheaper version of that would be attractive, though I'm not sure about the legality of it over here (there was some talk a few years back of them tightening thed law on possesion of replica weapons as they were being used in various criminal ventures, obviously by folks who wanted others to think they had a gun without having to actually carry one - or bother with the difficulty of getting hold of one).

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Love the Thompson. A cheaper version of that would be attractive, though I'm not sure about the legality of it over here (there was some talk a few years back of them tightening thed law on possesion of replica weapons as they were being used in various criminal ventures, obviously by folks who wanted others to think they had a gun without having to actually carry one - or bother with the difficulty of getting hold of one).
In the UK it's perfectly legal. There's simply an FPS cap. They won't sell guns with an FPS over 300 to you.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Excuse me Gentlemen, but please be careful

Pardon me for butting in, Gentlemen, but please excercise extra caution with regard to replica weapons.

As Edward pointed out, in many areas laws have been changed regardng replica firearms to protect the "brandisher" (and the police, from lawsuits). For example, California passed a law that all toy guns and replicas for sale to the public have to be bright green or bright orange. This is because of a terrible incident at a Halloween party in 2000 in which an actor was killed by police officers.

Neighbors had called the police to complain about a "disturbance" (the noise of the party), and when the police arrived one of them saw the actor with a very realistic looking gun and shot him three times, killing him. There were several party guests dressed as police officers at the party, and costumes at Hollywood Halloween parties can get awfully athentic lookng, so his friends think he mistook the real police for guests. (There was more off-topic controversy about this incident, and Johnnie Cochoran represented the actor's family in a lawsuit against the L.A.P.D.)

Again, I hope you'll pardon me for butting in...It's just that your fellow Loungers would hate to see anything happen to you.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Nice...

I could see myself buying one of those if I could inspect it first and it was wood and metal and "realistic" looking.

I got to shoot twenty rounds through a real Thompson once. The instructor told us to shoot little bursts of three or four rounds, however I just turned it on its' side and let loose. I got yelled at, but it was very, very cool!

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Imahomer said:
Nice...

I could see myself buying one of those if I could inspect it first and it was wood and metal and "realistic" looking.

I got to shoot twenty rounds through a real Thompson once. The instructor told us to shoot little bursts of three or four rounds, however I just turned it on its' side and let loose. I got yelled at, but it was very, very cool!

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=1061 Mostly metal. No wood. Shoots incredibly fast, and you can easily modify it to have blowback.

http://www.wwiiguns.com/store/product_details.php?p=217

^^^ That is definitely the best, though.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
pricey blanks

I checked into the 'PFC' blanks a few years ago. They might be fine if youre making a video indoors, but they'd be totally impractical for any WWII reenacting.
The 'blanks' are about $5 each round & if you were to load up a few mags , that would add up. Then you'd have to scoop them all up and unscrew them to reload them w/ a charge.

Incidentally, I believe most states still require the blank firing gun to have a blaze orange marker on its barrel.

Edward

Bartender
Dexter'sDame said:
Pardon me for butting in, Gentlemen, but please excercise extra caution with regard to replica weapons.

As Edward pointed out, in many areas laws have been changed regardng replica firearms to protect the "brandisher" (and the police, from lawsuits). For example, California passed a law that all toy guns and replicas for sale to the public have to be bright green or bright orange. This is because of a terrible incident at a Halloween party in 2000 in which an actor was killed by police officers.

Neighbors had called the police to complain about a "disturbance" (the noise of the party), and when the police arrived one of them saw the actor with a very realistic looking gun and shot him three times, killing him. There were several party guests dressed as police officers at the party, and costumes at Hollywood Halloween parties can get awfully athentic lookng, so his friends think he mistook the real police for guests. (There was more off-topic controversy about this incident, and Johnnie Cochoran represented the actor's family in a lawsuit against the L.A.P.D.)

Again, I hope you'll pardon me for butting in...It's just that your fellow Loungers would hate to see anything happen to you.

That would be the other thing that would be of concern to me. A few times in recent years there have been folks shot by the police here in London - three or four years ago, there was a guy shot dead by police in Hackney, after a table leg that he was "brandishing" was mistaken for a gun. Of course, growing up in Northenr Ireland also made a big impact on me that way - there's any number of stories that went around there. Once a ten year old was shot by a squaddie in Derry - wooden cut-out rifle, with a length of copper pipe for a barrel. The squaddie saw the sun glint on it, and fired instinctively.... bit of a risk for a cool photo prop!

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Edward, check out www.arniesairsoft.uk

Arnie's is the source for all info on UK airsoft, hell, worldwide airsoft. Any Q's you have about legalities can be answered there.

I play airsoft, not as much as I wish I did, and played for 2 seasons in Vietnam kit w/ an m14 and an M16A1. My friend (before he quit to go to school) had a WW2 101st kit, he had quite a few rifles including a Thompson, a gas-blowback Garand, a gas Kar98 and a full metal MP40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR