Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carlos Gardel

Maguire

Practically Family
I'm a huge fan of tango, my grandfather used to be a tango singer himself in clubs (mostly cuban social clubs) but when he died i got most of his cassettes and plenty of Gardel ones.

Besos y amores, cartas viejas, and el sol del 25 are my favorites, although of course, i like his more famous songs (Caminito, Volver, Mano a Mano, adios muchachos, etc).

There are plenty of youtube videos from his films back in the 20s. He died (along with his main collaborator, Alfredo Le Pera in 1935 in a plane crash, tragically) . They don't make them like they used to. I'd say the tail end of music came at around this time, and to hear Gardel compared to the soulless nonesense churned out by the radio today, well it is a breath of fresh air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQpmznpR99U
- volver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jildNDPHPQo
-mano a mano

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
My grandfather was the one who introduced me to Gardel's music, and i have to agree with you when you say his music is better then the nonsense today. I would take Gardel over rap/hip hop, any day of the week.

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Cada dia canta mejor. I completely agree. The more I listen the better he sounds. When I found tango about eight years ago, it brought all my loves together in one thing: class, male artistry without femininity, great music, great clothes, history, tradition, nostalgia, the Old World, the Golden Era, etc.

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Basically, the tango is an improvisational dance in which the leader (traditional a man) leads his partner (traditionally a woman) through any of an infinite variety of steps. ("Leading" is the best english concept, but the reality is more complex than mere leading and following.) Everything affects the dance at the moment: the feelings of each of the partners, how they react to the music at that particular time, the atmosphere of the place, etc. The music is very classically based with many influences (the origins and influences of tango has been and continues to be the subject of endless discussion and disagreement). The tango grew out of a very macho culture, but being expert at its artistry became a very male value and achievement. It involves aspects of character and accomplishment that one normally might today consider more feminine, such as feeling and interpreting music in a emotional and physical way. The improvisational nature of it makes it different than ballroom dancing, and the style of it is more artistic than jive. Compared to non-dance things, it might be a bit like fencing or gymastics. But it really is unique. And the dance is also only part of a larger philosophy or worldview. I hope that I have explained myself a bit. I have been to Argentina many times. They say that everyone there is a philosopher. Perhaps it is partly due to the tango. It seems to make one thing of everything in more philosophical terms - at it did for me.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. A popular pastime that makes people think.

My take on it is that not doing certain things because they're feminine or girly suggests either a) an insecure masculinity, undermined by too much pop culture, or b) a deep-seated misogyny, born of overly strict gender roles and family values.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Fletch said:
male artistry without femininity
Interesting. Care to elaborate?

I suppose he means Gardel's stereotypical masculine softness, his manly heavy makeup, his virile openly emotional singing, his long macho eyelashes and the like. ;)

If he'd perform today, the Republicans would demand a stage ban.

(Concerning tango as a whole, it is macho, of course, though I wouldn't overinterpret the philosophy part.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it is somewhat common for men to dance the Tango with other men. This started in the days when men would visit houses of easy virtue, and Tango music was played on the Victrola. The men waiting their turn would practice their steps together. I don't think anyone got nervous about it back then.
I saw Tango Argentino in 1986 on Broadway, just when I had started taking ballroom dancing lessons. I never got beyond the basic step. I couldn't even turn around. But I loved it. We saw the show and then went to an Argentine restaurant, where a very old lady was singing WONDERFUL Tango torch songs. I also went to a party where some of the cast of Tango Argentino showed up and danced. So cool.
Another factor that makes Tango unique is that is really music for the middle aged, rather than the young. It is music for people who have lived long enough to have a past, have a few regrets, still have passion, and are able to look back philosophically at life.

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Shaul-Ike, I was actually referring to the tango in general. Although, as a part of it, Gardel has many of the attributes I mentioned.

Maguire

Practically Family
I agree with rittmeister. If this thread turns into a men vs. women's lib thread.. know i had no part in inciting it for the record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany