Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The brillantined hair of Carlos Gardel

Have you ever heard of Carlos Gardel (1890-1935)? Born in France (or Uruguay,depending on whom you speak to), he emigrated to Argentina at the age of two. Gardel was (and remains, more than 70 years after his death in a plane crash) the single most popular interpreter of tango songs in history. In addition to singing and writing tangos, Gardel starred in numerous Argentine musicals, performed on NBC radio in New York, starred in several "videos" (with Bing Crosby, Ray Noble and others) for Paramount Pictures, and had just signed a Hollywood film contract when his life was cut tragically short.

Argentina has three icons: Eva Peron, Diego Maradona, and Carlos Gardel. To this day, images of the singer are found on postcards and posters in Buenos Aires. The sound of his voice drifts from open windows. For Argentina, Gardel is Crosby, Sinatra and Elvis rolled into one.

What's less well remembered is that Carlos Gardel was the most stylish of all Golden Era dressers. Below is a photo of him with his signature brillantined hair. Young men all over South America copied the style.

In other sections of the Lounge, I've posted more photos of Gardel in a uniquely striped dress shirt; a snappy fedora; and a single-breasted, peak lapel suit with a double-breasted vest.

Viva Gardel!

Gardelhair1.jpg

Gardelhair2.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
What I thought was neat was that newstands seem to all sell photos of Gardel all over Buenos Aires. That and all the Gardel-related stuff you see around Caminito.

Honestly I had never heard of him before I visited there but I bought many tango CDs (and some 78s) there and now I am a fan of his singing.

I think Gardel being a good dresser is probably also in part just because he lived in that region. Even today the average Argentine male dresses far better than the average American.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy