Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carryon Luggage

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I dont have anything but big luggage and am taking a three night trip to Tampa in January. Always used wife's soft sided luggage (some line that was in Crabtree and Evelyn and changes patterns) and that wont work. I am thinking of a briefcase/laptop bad, but I dont know if that would hold a change of shoes, a dopp kitt and about three days of clothing. Would it? If so, I could use it at work and justify the expense. If not, suggest something that can do double duty.

If not, I am about to look at Lands End or LL Bean at something that would be maybe just carry on luggage.

So make suggestions. $200 or so is my range or less. I got her briefcase at revolveclothing.com for a one time order they took 30% off which made her briefcase a bit over $200 (and they had it to start with $30 cheaper than Filson's website)

Daughter said just get a duffle since I don't carry a laptop and if I did I'd use my nexus tablet and have it out. So maybe ll bean after all. Feel free to point me to one. They have one for 60 today but it may be too small. I'm not sure what size to get as I'd prefer the larger size of what is allowed to be carried on. I may use it for two times a year

saw the Osprey Porter 46L but I have read that the plastic clips on those things can be broken.

Do you men who travel more by plane prefer wheels or a back pack option? Ill start flying once or twice a year more now that we have Southwest, but mostly car trips for weekends. I am thinking that value wise, the Lands End or LL Bean options would be good because of the lifetime replacement and cost.

Dont need to spend a lot because I am not a road warrior.

There are many very good quality carryon bags in the $200 price range, particularly if it's not something you're going to carry often. I prefer the roll-aboard type, as they are easier to manage for long walks through the airport, though that rules out those who refuse to carry anything made after 1920. I have a 22" TravelPro carry-on that was around $100 that has seen heavy use and held up remarkably well. I also have a complete set of Victorinox which includes a couple of carry-on bags. Most luggage today, even the old established US brands, is made in the same factory in China (that's one reason I went with the Victorinox a couple of years ago).

Another option is to find something on eBay. I don't know what they have, but I'm sure there is a selection, and you could probably find one of the pre-China, US-made bags, if you don't mind a little use on it. For reference, the largest size roll-aboard for most planes is typically 22".

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

PERSONALLY, I find checking luggage is a better option because you don't have to be so retentive about what goes in the carry on bag. The airlines CHANGE what is allowed on an irregular, but frequent basis, as does the TSA. I'll defer to the Hawk about the current sizes. I own a very old rolling duffel that gets checked occasionally. If you get the wheels, get good ones so you can use it for a long time. I'd get the wheels because it's easier to walk the long halls.

I do my best to get on the plane with a laptop, car keys, comb, credit card, cash (bills not change), a book to read, and absolutely nothing else.

Just my $0.02 and not worth that

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Wheels, absolutely! They are lifesavers considering how many lines you have to stand in lines, etc. Get one with good sturdy wheels, esp. ones that revolve all the way! It has become dog eat dog in the overhead bins so don't get the cheapest one, but if you aren't going to travel much don't break the bank. We have a Samsonite store in MD. They were very helpful and have several diff. brands.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:

sal

One of the Regulars
My two cents. I travel frequently and I am one of those that I will never check a bag unless I am going to be gone for more than five days.
I would highly recommend a custom messenger bag from Timbuktu. I think it would fit the bill and you can use it for work as well. Most times I will travel with the Timbuktu under the seat and a small backpack (llbean) in the overhead packed with some clothes. The two give me versatility as well as enough space. And they are easy to transport. YMMV

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I'm a backpack flier myself. I picked up a Victorinox out of the trash one day. Busted zipper. A co-worker took it with him to his Filipino clothing shop and had the zipper replaced. I've used it on 3 trips back and forth from Afghanistan to the US now. As I don't fly direct and make stops in other countries I find the backpack to be the way to go, sling it on and hop on and off trains, trams, cabs...

It's certainly not vintage in any way and I will eventually shop for a classy backpack. But until then it's doing nicely.

Matt

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Found a Ful 21 hybrid rolling duffle for 55 shipped

Need help deciding between rolling Duffles and backpack Duffles. Any tips from seasoned travelers?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Last summer the wife and I made a trip to Bermuda. She used a roller carry-on and I used my backpack. She quickly grew jealous of my backpack. Easier to take it up and down the stairs to the jet (no jetways at the airport in Bermuda). I think roller vs backpack comes down to how the rest of your travel goes? Are you going straight from Airport to home/hotel via car? Do you park in long term parking, hike to the bus stop, take the bus to the terminal, walk through the terminal and intentionally use the stairs to keep the blood flowing, arrive at your destination and maneuver via public transport? Do you want to take the same bag and empty it's contents in your hotel room, use the bag while shopping? While hiking a mountain? I think the answer lies in the overall travel style you prefer.

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
As an aside I've thought for a while now it would be amusing to make a line of fur covered carry on luggage and market it as "Carrion Luggage".

Matt

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Last summer the wife and I made a trip to Bermuda. She used a roller carry-on and I used my backpack. She quickly grew jealous of my backpack. Easier to take it up and down the stairs to the jet (no jetways at the airport in Bermuda). I think roller vs backpack comes down to how the rest of your travel goes? Are you going straight from Airport to home/hotel via car? Do you park in long term parking, hike to the bus stop, take the bus to the terminal, walk through the terminal and intentionally use the stairs to keep the blood flowing, arrive at your destination and maneuver via public transport? Do you want to take the same bag and empty it's contents in your hotel room, use the bag while shopping? While hiking a mountain? I think the answer lies in the overall travel style you prefer.

Matt
I may use long term parking. I do have a small timbuk2 backpack I could use in tandem with a roller. I won't use it for hiking or shopping. No buses really. Taxi from airport to hotel or rental car or someone puck me up. Won't know about how much walking in an airpirt

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Wheels, absolutely! They are lifesavers considering how many lines you have to stand in lines, etc. Get one with good sturdy wheels, esp. ones that revolve all the way! It has become dog eat dog in the overhead bins so don't get the cheapest one, but if you aren't going to travel much don't break the bank. We have a Samsonite store in MD. They were very helpful and have several diff. brands.

Have a great trip!

Ok how do I know if the wheels are gonna be good? Mind checking out the Full 21 hybrid and seeing? EBay and amazon had them or I can get a link tomorrow. Llbeans is about 80 shipped

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hi

PERSONALLY, I find checking luggage is a better option because you don't have to be so retentive about what goes in the carry on bag.

I do my best to get on the plane with... a book to read...

Amen. I just returned from Dallas and checked bags. It is so much easier and all I want to carry on is a book. And sit by a window...:)

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Found this hard shell wheeled case with four wheels at a decent price

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/exo-hardside-spinner-carry-on/213172?productid=10212273

and a soft sided one with a zippered compartment in front

http://www.ricardobeverlyhills.com/Bel Aire/22" Expandable Wheelaboard TM

a) 4 wheels or 2?
b) can you pull the 4 wheel behind you like it has two wheels, for speed purposes if you have to rush?
c) would I be better off with a suitcase that has a front zippered panel so I can access things like tickets or the liquids I have to let them see?

Last edited:

mojoboots

New in Town
I just bought a vintage brief case on ebay that is wider on the bottom with "gate mouth", roomy for the essentials and a bit more, plus its got the classy vintage look!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If you're looking for a vintage sort of bag, then you can't go past a classic gladstone. But if the style isn't that important, a typical wheeled cabin-bag will suffice in most cases. Of course, you'll want something very light. Some of the latest offerings by Samsonite are very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner