Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cars then and Now

Jay

Practically Family
My only question is "where has all the style gone?" My mom bought a new VW Passat and I must say it has the most bland design I've seen yet. There's nothing(style-wise) that makes me say "wow-neat!" only things that dissapoint. It makes my 1987 Trans Am seem very cool, though. Anyhow, I'd still rather have an old car, like maybe a black 1933 Hudson Terraplane or a 34 Essex 8. Anyone else wanna tell their fantasy auto?
If someones already done this, let me know.
Thanks

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
These two come pretty close for me...

38Coupe.jpg

'38 Ford Coupe

38Pickup.jpg

'38 Ford Pickup

The Captain

One of the Regulars
Today the word "style" is pretty subjective. There are plenty of choices to satisfy the "you are what you drive" credo. One of my favorites (and I have quite a few), is the 1939 Ford. The lines speak to me! Here is a photo I took at this years Fortuna, CA Autorama.
49615479.Autorama7230547.jpg

Shot with a Canon 300D

Mycroft

One Too Many
The car makers today need to make either their own new style completely (without references to the past), or completly resotre the past because the mix of the present and past most of the time does not cut in style, an exception could be the new Dodge Charger

shamus

Suspended
looks like a Cord 812. But it looks low to the ground. The 812 was supercharged and could do 100 mph. Much faster than any police car of the day and the car I believe was the first with retractable headlights.

I use to live near Auburn Ind. where they once made Auburn, Cord and Duesenbergs back in the day, and every year they have a festival honoring the cars. It was a blast to see them all driving down the street in all forms of restoration.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Looks legit! I have seen some of the 60's ones and they just kind of look off. But, the 30's cars definitely have style any model and make shouts class. Fords are nice but problem with them is that for one to find an original in good restored shape, you're going to be shelling out $25,000 to $35,000 for an old car with mechanical brakes that have been known to fail. Every one knows that I'm a MoPar man but, measuring it up Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler's are much nicer. Plus, All Chrysler makes had hydraulic brakes as early as 1933! Ford took forever to convert over to hydraulic brakes! It wasn't till 1939 that Henry broke down and converted to the new trend in safety. Tea-toddling (I guess that's how you spell it) old grouch. :rolleyes:

Here is a photo of a 1934 Dodge, need I say more?
34dodge0wm.jpg

1935 Plymouth,
35PJ.jpg

1939 Chrysler,
1939_2Chrysler_Imperial.jpg

Today's cars all look like crap. I have seen some nice designs come out off of the Chrysler drawing table but, most cars out there all look the same. That's why I took the plunge and decided to drive a 60 year old car every day. They have lots of head room and space to wear a hat and I don't feel like a nerd stepping out of a vintage car dressed in vintage clothes like I did when I drove a 1988 Mazda 929.

Old cars rule!

PS. Here is a 34 Plymouth.
34PEa.jpg

Root.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Automotive artistry!

Those are some truely amazing looking cars. Reminds me of something the character "Marv" said in the film "Sin City" about modern cars all looking like electric razors!

I really like the 1939 Chrysler with the sun visor on the windshield. Man wouldn't I love to own that baby! (or any of the others for that matter!).

Wild Root

Gone Home
1939 Chrysler is one of my top 5 favorite cars! Such design, such lines and what a good solid car. I would really like a four door more then a two, but that's just because I'm crazy for suicide doors. I think I'd ditch the visor though, they just say ?¢‚Ǩ?ìCholo?¢‚Ǩ? and that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not really my thing. Some fender skirts would look really sweet though!

Old cars are work. They need attention and love. But, if you have one you really like, it's not really a chore or much of a bother. You'll want to take care of the car like one of your own family members! ;)

Keep them on the road!

Root.

PS. Want the looks of a Duesenberg with out the price? Try out a 1932 Chrysler Imperial
Chryslerimperial.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
MK said:
I would love to have a restored vintage car. I don't know if I will get around to buying one. If I do it will be one that won't need to be redone. I hope the day comes to pass.

If you ever decide to do that, MK, come east to find one. The prices out here for a totally restored vehicle seems to run about half the price as compared vehicles found on the left coast. I know where two are sitting about 4 miles from where I'm sitting that cost $5000 and $6000 apiece, and are like new....both Chevies, one with a flathead 6, the other a flathead V-8. So, they're affordable in completed shape, and many a LOT less expensive than the prices I've just mentioned.

Regards! Michaelson

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
What year on those two Chevies...

Agree that the prices EOTM are less than CA. Would love to talk my wife into an older ride, but can't get her to kick the Stuart Weitzman shoe habit. (Pun intended!)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Michaelson-

FYI- Chev never made a flathead V-8.

Ford/Lincoln were big on flathead V-8s and V-12s and Cadillac/La Salle had flathead V-8s too- before Cadillac was GM.
Chev's 1st real production V-8 was OHV and introduced in '55; the 265 cu.in. smallblock- although they did toy with OHV V-8s in 1917-19 but that was a passing fancy. Chev's staples were 4 and 6 cyl. engines.
In '57 came the 283 cu. in. version with fuel injection and 283 HP.
The earliest Corvettes had the 6 cyl. engines.

I won't go on...

I still want a '49-51 Studebaker Business Coupe.

B
T

Michaelson

One Too Many
It is restored. That's what the fellow found in the car when he picked it up for restoration from a barn in upper Tennessee, so sometime in the distant past a flathead 8 was dropped in the car. It wasn't a recent introduction either.

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran