Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casablanca Hat Color

Mighty44

One Too Many
I wish this was it but pretty sure that’s not the Casablanca hat—the ribbon is too wide.
IMG_2079.jpeg

This is an extremely old thread but I thought it needed a definitive answer! I reached out to Warner Bros. and they sent me this.
View attachment 595496

Last edited:
Everybody knows that little or nothing in Hollywood is real. The display included, I think. Maybe the suit (that can’t really be seen) under the trench is the original, but not the hat, and I’m not convinced about the coat. It’s difficult to be 100% certain due to the resolution of the film prints, but I couldn’t make out the subtle extra rows of stitches I noted on the display coat. IMG_2041.jpeg

More grist for the mill?!

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
What do you think, is it at least safe to conclude that the Casablanca fedora was brown?
I'm going to guess it was a beige or tan color. Not gray, not brown, but somewhere in between.

In the photo at the top of the page with Ingrid Bergman, the hat had been rained on, thus appearing darker (I think).

I always assumed the hat was about the color seen here.
Humphrey-Bogart-Casablanca-Trench-Coat-910x1155 (2).jpg

Deeeluxe Definitely

One of the Regulars
I still can't figure out just what it is - maybe a small head circumference and broad face - but no one has ever looked better in a fedora than Humphrey. Perfect match.

It's obviously no hot take that he was a style icon, but it's always worth restating how extraordinarily well dressed the man was.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Love this thread. At the risk of muddying the waters, I’ve always assumed that the hat he wore in Dark Passage was the same hat. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a color promotional photo or ad for the film that showed him in this hat and it was definitely brown. I’ll see if I can find that image…
IMG_2090.jpeg
IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2089.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner