Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CASH FOR CLUNKERS

analogist

One of the Regulars
I speak with my friend Art Fawcett very often. One of the subjects which always comes up is the economy and how the current administration is handling it. Although we differ greatly in many political matters, we both agree that some high level banking exec getting a $100 million bonus while the average Joe can't get a decent mortgage or a decent line of credit is wrong.

One of the items we discussed this week was a local car dealer here in New York who hardly sold any cars at all in 2009 but since the Cash for Clunkers plan, they sold over 100 units in four days. This may be a program that will benefit the consumer, the car dealer and his employees and might be a step in the right direction.

Now, how about Cash for Clunkers for hats. Send Art a felt hat you no longer want, need,, like or which just doesn't do it for you any more. I'm not talking about something you wear to paint the ceiling, or your slobbery Rottweiler's chew toy. You know what I mean, they should be in wearable condition.

Art will spiff that hat up, donate it to the Veterans Administration Domiciliary Long Term Facility in Oregon where one of our Nation's unsung heroes down on his luck and his health will get a nice fedora which hopefully will make his day.

For you, fellow loungers, you will get a $25.00 credit towards a VS Custom Hat which makes getting one of the finest custom hats a little bit easier. Some of you might say I am just giving my buddy some shameless publicity but there is nothing in it for me.

I just like the idea because I really like Art's work (and own many examples), am a robust and frequent donor to the VA, and I love to save a buck.

Contact Art with your questions, comments or anything else you wish.

Happy and Healthy Hot Days fellow loungers,

analogist

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think this is a great idea! (As long as Art doesn't end up losing for all his hard work, of course.) Now, what did I do with that crate full of old hats.... :whistling

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Count me in! Since we're moving and I am purposely paring down I have a few that I can send on. If that's okay.

Edited to add - Not that I want more than one credit, I just have a bunch of hats that could be put to good use.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Apologies for being tardy to this thread - such generosity! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Viper Man

Banned
I asked Art the same question and his reply was one credit per person NOT one credit per hat. You can still send as many hats you want but you'll only get $25 off one time. He also seemed to indicate that this would run through the month of September.

EDIT: I am sending some out soon! It basically amounts to free shipping.

Viper Man said:
... I am sending some out soon! It basically amounts to free shipping.
It would if I didn't have to pay to ship the hat(s) out to him. I guess I'd net about $10 & get rid of some hats that aren't getting any use PLUS SWMBO will think I'm selling as well as buying.... :D :rolleyes:

Inusuit

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
It would if I didn't have to pay to ship the hat(s) out to him. I guess I'd net about $10 & get rid of some hats that aren't getting any use PLUS SWMBO will think I'm selling as well as buying.... :D :rolleyes:

And think of the good karma you will accumulate. I already sent Art a couple of hats that were in good shape but no getting head time.

jpbales

Practically Family
I can't say I agree as much with you about the success of the cash-for-clunkers CAR program, seeing how it put the U.S. in another $3 bil of debt, but I like the idea of the cash-for-clunkers HAT idea. Like some people have pointed out though, once you subtract shipping costs it only amounts to being $10 or $15 off [huh] If it was per hat, however, perhaps with a hat limit (up to 3 or 4 hats, for example), then it would create more incentive for folks to send in their hats. This seems like a good deal for Art as well, because it will boost his stock of vintage felts and materials.

By the way, one reason why car sales may have been low (other than just the economy crash) is that people were holding off on their car purchases for the cash-for-clunkers program to come out.
Sorry, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything :p

Inusuit

A-List Customer
jpbales said:
Like some people have pointed out though, once you subtract shipping costs it only amounts to being $10 or $15 off [huh] If it was per hat, however, perhaps with a hat limit (up to 3 or 4 hats, for example), then it would create more incentive for folks to send in their hats. This seems like a good deal for Art as well, because it will boost his stock of vintage felts and materials.:p

As I understand this program, it is not necesssarily intended to be a "good deal" for either the donor or Art. Art will not "boost his stock" because he is refurbishing the donated hats and giving them to disabled veterans. And remember that the $25 credit comes out of Art's profit on your next purchase, regardless what it cost to ship the hats to him. In my case I sent two hats and shipping was almost $20.

My "incentive" was to brighten the day of a couple of guys who paid a high price for their service to our country. The amount of the credit was not a factor in my decision to donate a couple of hats I no longer wear.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
Need all I can get Evan!!! :eek:

Yeah, you need to make up for getting me involved in this obsession by selling me my first (in twenty years or so) 3X Stetson. That hat, by the way, is still one my favorites. So maybe you don't owe me any karma after all because I am enjoying a new hobby and get to meet great people here on the Lounge.

Inusuit said:
Yeah, you need to make up for getting me involved in this obsession by selling me my first (in twenty years or so) 3X Stetson. That hat, by the way, is still one my favorites. So maybe you don't owe me any karma after all because I am enjoying a new hobby and get to meet great people here on the Lounge.
It's all good Evan, comes out in the wash they say. That is one good old hat!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy