Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual summer straw for the beach?

Pacemaker

New in Town
My wife's family is from Savannah, and we end up spending a good chunk of time on the beach at Tybee Island each summer. I'd like to find a casual straw I could wear on the beach - something under the $200 if possible. I'm not looking for a Panama - something in raffia, torino or toyo would be fine. I like the general look of the Biltmore Palazzo, but I'm curious about other options as the only other hat I own (um, so far) is also a Biltmore. I guess I could always go with one of the straws they've been rolling out at Target each Spring the last few years, I'd rather not if I can help it. I welcome any recommendations! Thanks.

Pacemaker

New in Town
Thanks for the recommendation! Yeah, whenever I see guys in Target hats, I always think they look... well, let's just say they look like they're trying too hard. I just want a nice hat. :)

carldelo

One Too Many
If it's just for beach wear, I'd suggest a Sunbody hat. They have some similar to the Biltmore you linked to, but 1-3/4" is a pretty narrow brim for the beach. I'm thinking 2-1/2" is more appropriate for sun protection. The cotton sweatband on their Guatemala palms is good when you're hot and sweaty on the beach. Yes, it will draw the sweat into the straw, but it's a beach hat after all.

http://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/category/6/fedoras-dress-amp-sporty.cfm

For a more dressy straw, there's a million places to look, but Panama Bob is certainly a favorite around the lounge. Milan tend to be hot, BTW. Definitely skip the Target hat, though...

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's just for beach wear, I'd suggest a Sunbody hat. They have some similar to the Biltmore you linked to, but 1-3/4" is a pretty narrow brim for the beach. I'm thinking 2-1/2" is more appropriate for sun protection. The cotton sweatband on their Guatemala palms is good when you're hot and sweaty on the beach. Yes, it will draw the sweat into the straw, but it's a beach hat after all.

http://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/category/6/fedoras-dress-amp-sporty.cfm

For a more dressy straw, there's a million places to look, but Panama Bob is certainly a favorite around the lounge. Milan tend to be hot, BTW. Definitely skip the Target hat, though...

Hi

I'd second the Sun Body. Sun bodies are kind of heavy compared to a Panama, so definitely get vent holes put in it. Most hatters can do that, or Sunbody will before they ship it.

Later

DougC

Practically Family
I'll third a Sunbody hat. I have one that I've worn for three summers and I'm constantly reshaping it. Added benefit is that you can pour water in the crown and the evaporative effect will cool you down.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you're looking for an inexpensive Panama, I just picked up an "Indiana" from Panama Bob via his eBay store (id: panamahatsecuador). It's a no frills hat with a cloth sweatband, and not the finest weave, but for $40, no complaints from me.

IMG_20130311_154325_zps454acc51.jpg

Pacemaker

New in Town
Thanks y'all - I really appreciate the help.

1-3/4" is a pretty narrow brim for the beach. I'm thinking 2-1/2" is more appropriate for sun protection.

Yup, I'd thought the same thing. I like the look of a stingy brim on a straw hat, but a wider brim makes more sense on the beach. Thanks for your help!

Definitely skip the Target hat, though...
Ha! Will do. :)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
If you want an inexpensive hat and you are close to water I'd recommend a poly straw like the Akubra Capricorn or Countryclub. For both living in Hawaii and also traveling in Monsoon Asia I've given up on straw and just wear polystraw now. Its not quite as cool as real straw but if you get caught in the rain or it blows in the ocean its not a problem.

images

images

carldelo

One Too Many
Chasseur has a good point, and it's funny it's coming so late to this discussion. The Akubra polystraws are nearly indestructible and are pretty breezy with the open weave in the crown. I'm not sure why I didn't recommend them earlier - I like them and have two myself. The only drawback to them in my opinion is the sweatband, which is a flexible fake leather, kind of sweat-inducing. As I recall, if you order from Everything Australian or one of the other high-quality vendors in Oz they will substitute a cloth band if you ask, it just takes 3 months for the custom order. But the standard sweat is not a deal-breaker and the hats have a lot of good qualities, fairly high crown, bound brims, good color selection, etc.

I go thru a bangora straw western hat every Spring/Summer.
I do have some Sun Body palm leafs
sunb4.jpg

as well as an Akubra poly-straw, forget the model name.
zep00.jpg

I take this hat to the humid areas of South Central Georgia & it serves me well.
I have no worries if it falls in the lake...
zephyr2.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chasseur has a good point, and it's funny it's coming so late to this discussion. The Akubra polystraws are nearly indestructible ...

Hi

It's not so funny. No one in Wichita carried them, I haven't seen one in Oklahoma City either. Hatman Jack and Schaefer's Hat Works in Noble carry both Sunbody and Panama's. I wouldn't consider recommending anything I haven't seen. I'd have to see one before deciding on getting it.

later

carldelo

One Too Many
Hi

It's not so funny. No one in Wichita carried them, I haven't seen one in Oklahoma City either. Hatman Jack and Schaefer's Hat Works in Noble carry both Sunbody and Panama's. I wouldn't consider recommending anything I haven't seen. I'd have to see one before deciding on getting it.

later

Well, I tend to agree, but I have two Akubra polystraws and wear them alot, so could have recommended them.

In fact, I suspect that if someone ordered an Akubra and decided not to keep it, it could be sold here on the lounge in pretty short order - they are not expensive but the lead time can be significant so a finished hat is desirable.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
The customer service from Everything Australian is excellent when ordering Akubras (at least in my experience).

Some Akubra shots in action:

Capricorn:
397551741.jpg

397551762.jpg

Countryclub:
403257792.jpg

402971009.jpg

403257820.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member