Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Catching up and hat sizing

Zane

Suspended
I have been trying to read so many of the post off here and find many of great interest. I have to say I am glad I was referred to this forum. I was equally pleased to hear from my old boss that sent out the forum links to so many of his customers and people in his address book. It not only gave me this opportunity to find so many hat lovers but also gave me an opportunity to work part time again. It seems many of you folks are from way out in California or far distant places and some even on other countries. I just was looking at Canadaves hat size and wonder where in the world he finds his hats. I recall years ago when the guy traveled down here with his own block and brim flange to have a hat made and his head was size of a basketball actually a little bigger if memory serves me, he was like 8 1/2. I know he was nearing or about 27 inches around where he wore his hat.

Canadave, where do you find hats that fit you from? I know most hats are 7 3/8 or it always seemed to be the most common size. I have been looking at some hat sellers and it seems the largest ones sold nowadays is 7 3/4 and most only go to 7 5/8 .

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Zane
Canadave, where do you find hats that fit you from?

Good question!!!

So far, I've had one made, and another stretched from a 5/8.

I've been searching on eBay for ~3 months, and have'nt found any vintage hats. I found one decent 7/8, which I lost. It was made sometime after the mid 80s.

Art is keeping his eye out for me as well, and is in the process of trying to make me happy with some good quality wool felt. It seems very hard to find something in fur felt that could be reblocked or stretched for me.

BTW, a lot of people on this list are watching out for me as well, which I really appreciate! :D :D :D

Thanks for asking,

David

(If I could find a hat block in my size, I'd probably buy that too.)

Zane

Suspended
7 7/8

David, I tried to send you that PM thing but says your box is full.
Guess I will try it later.

I can say that I think a wool felt hat is an affordable solution for you. I know so many people thing wool felt hats are just junk but I have seen fine quality wool felt hats. It is just the store bought ones that are junk but you can even convert many of them into a wearable hat. I have seen it and I have done it. if you work the felt till the stiffner is mellowed out ( you can do this by hand just as well as a mellowing machine). then replace the lesser sweat band with a good sweat they are a fine hat for many. A lot of them have good ribbon on them already.

Is Art a hat maker? Where is he located?

Re: Re: Catching up and hat sizing

Originally posted by Canadave
Good question!!!

So far, I've had one made, and another stretched from a 5/8.

Thanks for asking,

David

(If I could find a hat block in my size, I'd probably buy that too.)

You stretched a 7 5/8! Curse you. Keep your hands off my size!LOL LOL LOL LOL
I will keeping looking out for hats that just might fit you David. I actually feel bad because I found one too late. The address is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8110391598 . I even tried to bid on the dang thing but it was too late and too little. I think this is probably your size by the 3/4 tag inside. You might want to keep an eye on it because it was poorly described and the buyer might have a hard time fitting into a 3/4 Long Oval. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Zane

Suspended
You know, David may consider looking for a "Westernish" hat in 7 5/8 that would most probably surly make a 7 7/8 as well. Many times felt dependant the thicker felts can be thinned by merely pulling them over a larger block. You can always pounce down a thicker hat to some degree if you do not go so far as to burn it as well.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: 7 7/8

Originally posted by Zane
David, I tried to send you that PM thing but says your box is full.

I can say that I think a wool felt hat is an affordable solution for you. I know so many people thing wool felt hats are just junk but I have seen fine quality wool felt hats...

Is Art a hat maker?

Yeah, I cleaned out my box, so I'm ready to receive! Thanks for your input on wool felt...I think some of the guys here are allergic! :D:D:D

SHARPETOYS answered your Art question, but what he left out is that he is VERY highly regarded by this group as a hat rehabber and blocker extraordinaire!

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran