Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cav hat 2

liten

One of the Regulars
you see it all time on visit to web sites cavalry hats4 sale and they are silly low crown hats with big hanging brims , how stupid they look , and also stating ,these are genuine looking hats ,when i no for a fact there was no cavalry hat at all, and the hats they actully wore and supplied with, were high crowned and small brimed

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I'm not sure what you mean by a cavalry hat, but I remember when I began doing Indian Wars living history back in the 1970s and how difficult it was to convince the public that the soldiers didn't really wear bright yellow bandanas around their necks!

They'd seen them in the movies and they certainly didn't want to hear or see anything different.:rage:

liten

One of the Regulars
by cav hat i mean the campaign hat or clouch , in our terms, it just annoyes me that hat sellers gloss them over by calling them cav hats and stick bright yellow cord s on them to catch the eye, theres one hat seller i noticed has gor 6 different cav hats for sale and none of them any thing like wwhat actully wore,

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Gotcha

People get some pretty strange ideas and they aren't too anxious to learn the truth

I've had a lot of buckskinner friends who are thrilled with wearing a deer hide shirt ... until they have to do it in 100 degree weather. They still can't accept historic reality ... too tied into what the movies show

It's the same way with cowboy stuff

Once you've had to work in chaps, they lose a lot of their romance, but in the movies guys sport them day and night

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Most cavalry in the modern US Army wear cavalry hats made by Stetson. If you look on the numerous sites that represent the various active cavalry units, many have links to Stetson deals on these hats.

liten

One of the Regulars
not sure what the modern cavalry wear in the way of soft hats , or a cowboy hat style , im more into the indain wars and span am hats that were iissued, i was after a 1876 hat a few years back , and there was no way i could find one , apart from the real thing, which were over a thousand dollars,and falling apart! in the end i had make one up my self

liten

One of the Regulars
cavalry boots

hi any one out no about indain wars cavalry boots? looking to buy any body who or has pics or patterns of boots though indains cheers

HATCO

Vendor
liten said:
you see it all time on visit to web sites cavalry hats4 sale and they are silly low crown hats with big hanging brims , how stupid they look , and also stating ,these are genuine looking hats ,when i no for a fact there was no cavalry hat at all, and the hats they actully wore and supplied with, were high crowned and small brimed

Yes, we make hats for the army. One of the few, official/unofficial items allowed to be worn by service members as part of their uniform.

This link provides a history of how it came to be.

I don't think the retailers are trying to sell the hat as though it were a replica of the 19th century. Possibly ignorantly, but not maliciously. Instead I think they are trying to sell to the current service members.

Good luck finding a hat to your liking. BTW We make 4X and 5X hats open crown with 7 " crowns and up to 5" flat brims. (You guys complain about stiffner. You should see how much goes in the brim of that hat to keep it flat!)

liten

One of the Regulars
boots

thanks but ive been there , 1885 pattern i want , i no they are 21" high, but thats all

liten

One of the Regulars
7'' is the ideal open crown height ,for campaign hat , dont think chemical brim stiffing was a option in the 19th century, folding the edge over or stiching of the brim was what thy did back then

Speedbird

A-List Customer
C Company, 7th Cavalry Indian War Wars Living History Group

Hi there,

A couple of friends and I run an as authentic as possible Living History & Re-enactment group here in the UK covering specifically C Company in the 1876 campaign (though the main man hates the term re-enactment and re-enactors generally - I keep telling him that it is a word that covers a broad church from authentic to total farbs ... but he has just got it stuck in his head that Living History is good & re-enactment is bad. That's by the by, it's just a terminology thing).

We haven't properly been active for a couple of years and I have a horrible feeling our website and domain name has slipped away - it was www.7thcav.org - we live in different parts of the country and divorce, the recession, illness etc have all taken there toll!

In terms of our uniforms and equipment we went through a process of painstaking research, trial and error and tried lots of different suppliers. In the end we had a lot of uniform items tailored by a good local seamstress using authentic cloth and materials - we found some good commercial repros from re-enactor suppliers but often they would fall apart after a couple of weekends - trousers especially, even tentage! I think the problem is a lot of stuff is made for display or western nights rather than to be actually used in a canvas tent in a field in the wet & windy UK up north! Leatherware we tend to import from the States.

With regards to slouch hats, mine came from a small western supplier and is a black high-ish crown medium brim felt that came from a western store. I bashed a centre crease, took off the ribbon and added a stampede strap and cav sabres. My boots are as authentic as possible but I bought them from my pal when he upgraded so I am not 100% sure of origin - but his family business is a traditional cobblers in North Yorkshire so he knows what he's about when it comes to boots etc. I have a Remmington Army sidearm, and appropriate ammo pouch, flapped holster and belts with sabre hangers. This rig is slightly earlier than the Colt rig often associated with the 7th Cav but is still accurate and authentic (and can serve as ACW as well which is it's attraction for me as it is not cheap gear and to use it only for a narrow window of time would not be very cost effective).

One thing for sure is that the 7th Cav on campaign were a mixed bunch wearing all sorts of different kit and equipment; some privately purchased, some old kit from ACW in some cases (less so later on but still plenty of Civil War kit out on the remote outposts), newer kit - some experimental, as well as regulation issue.

As mentioned in previous posts, the public at shows take a lot of convincing that there is more to the 7th than yellow neckerchiefs!

I will try and dig out some photos for you! In the meantime this chap does a credible impression generally - he's not of our group but we know him fairly well and for a one man band he does really well!

http://www.7thcav.org.uk/index.htm

Gary Owen!

Speedy

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
My understanding of the slouch hat, in the Indian Wars Period, is that it was never "official issue," it was a private purchase, from the sutler store, therefore you will see huge variations in style. There is probably no definitive "slouch." Like the Luftwaffe leather jacket, which was a private purchase civilian jacket, with many variants.

Uniformity is an issue, even with "issue" items until well after WWII

liten

One of the Regulars
slouch

there was a issue hat, for the indain wars , the first one the andrews hat 1872 which fell apart after a few weeks ,then there was the 1876 hat which wasnt that much better, and both hats were black which was a problem in the summer months, and of low qualitymaterials , wasnt until 1883 with a color change and an inprovment in quality that things inproved in the hat department

liten

One of the Regulars
cav 2

thats why ive gone for the 80s period , its to hard to pin point what custers troopers wore in way of a uniform and the gear they used, all we can do is guess, or go by period comments, theres no photos of enlisted either only officers portraits ive only seen one photo of custers cavalry which was take in 1875 at fort lincoln , and that was a distance shot, and was of e company gray horse, there slouch hats looked rather big, and on the average they lwere small in statue and which made there horses look big

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy