Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Changing liner in a-2?

MRB1248

Familiar Face
The only time I've done it was with an old jacket I sent to US Wings in OH. They did a pretty respectable job, considering the jacket was about 30 years old. I don't know if I would be keen on sending something like an Aero or Kelso jacket to them because they didn't sew the cuff back on exactly straight, but for the one I sent it was ok. I think it was a really old J Crew.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
hope you know what your asking. Is it really *that* bad? May you find the right person to do it for you for the right price. Post some pics of the condition of the existing liner for us. If its original you know how I feel about leaving it be. I already made the worst of someone elses Thread recently by shooting first, asking questions later. and that was a mistake. Lets Just see what you got to work with, if its *that* far beyond Salvage or not. I can easily patch it or repair whats left of it. I would be grateful to see how its doing first and foremost. if its so old that it has cloth or Thread Rot or if its Just stinky or Grea-hee-heesy I wonder how the cuffs and waist knit is holding up because those will have to come off, its a lot of *to do* to get it back together again exactly like it was if the Leather is already timeworn and the grain is fading etc, there is a real trick to fitting the waist knit back on and to get it right even the Forensics Team at CSI would have a tough time finding the original holes and getting back together seamlessly as already been mentioned here it might be a bit out of skew even if done by a pro is all Im saying.. I could clean and repair the existing liner for a six pack of beer though. Finding correct material Is not my department, but I could do my best to get on the horn with people and see what I can come up with for ya in the meantime in the textile dept. you are better off paying top dollar to the real pros to handle the Job if its original...and better off still to simply make do, and Leaving it be if its original in my very strong opinion.

Who would want an A-2 that isnt showing signs of Long winded Flight hours and Real Hard missions on it though?

you gotta give me some more rope to hang by here.

I have done a liner once successfully, it was a 50s civilian HH G-1 Looking thing that was breathing its last and had a once beautiful but now hideously ruined Quilted liner that had literally been a mouse house for many decades and it was Just teeming with rot, I would have left it that way if it wasnt a total Bio Hazard, The shell had to soak in an oil bath for a time to neutralize the Mildew and mold. you would have been repelled by Just the sight, The smell would make a buzzard cry. It was tragic shame but I got it back together and it probably went right back into a moldy heap of clothes as the persons home would have made the season finale of the show Hoarders.

Hopefully someone more capable than me will chime in and have mercy on your poor Jacket.

If its true vintage but not original and not worth much, and you are on a shoestring budget, try the thrift store for another Vintage leather coat that is safe to Recycle. and gut the liner out of one you can live with, and have someone who is trustworthy and capable take care of the rest.

Dont ask me why because this is a little blasphemous talk for me even, but Im personally a big fan of those 70s Schott A-2 Liners that are Green quilting that look like the Quilted paneling inside a B-52 Bomber. :cool:

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My faithful ELC RW A-2 had liner & knits issues after hard years of wear & ended up going back to ELC to have these issues put right...result: One happy camper & jacket :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner