Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chapeau Corot or Dickerson & Co. of Detroit. Anyone here remember them?

skid lid

New in Town
New acquisition fished from the 'bay: a like new gray homburg labeled Chapeau Corot (reg. U.S. Pat. Off.) Dickerson & Co. Detroit on the liner. Same on the sweatband. The box lid says "since 1866 - Dickerson's - Hats...Cravats - 1558 Washington Blvd. - Detroit"
I find no mention of them, store or hat, on the wayback machine, including this here virtual lounge. Anyone remember Dickerson's or ever seen or heard of Chapeau Corot? Something about that "reg. U.S. Pat. Off." after the name makes me think that Chapeau Corot isn't a French or Quebecois hatter, but rather a house or captive brand of Dickerson's or some other company, the "French" connection was for that air of sophistication that a common American hatter didn't possess.
Anyone else care to speculate? Thanks, SL

I should add that the logo in the liner shows an artist's palette and brushes around the words Chapeau Corot - Dickerson & Co. Corot was a 19th century French landscape painter and the use of his name by the 20th century probably didn't require payment of any royalties. More speculation.

skid lid

New in Town
Bump for pics.

At last, old dog learns to post a picture, to wit, the aforementioned chapeau: P3170185.JPG P3170187.JPG P3170180.JPG P3170177.JPG P3170178.JPG P3170184.JPG Maybe not quite "as new," but a necessary hat style in a useful color with an interesting label. I think it's a keeper!
Anyone here ever seen this maker before?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Detroit was at one time, lined with shoe stores, hat shops,mens wear clothing stores that held a great deal of variety for the "better off" public. Sadly it is now a virtual ghost town. MY Husband's family was much more familiar with that area of Michigan, but in asking him the name of that store does not ring a bell. Very nice looking vintage lid. You did good on that one.

skid lid

New in Town
Thank you, LMM. I'm not familiar with Detroit or Michigan, at all. But I gather that it has just about fallen apart. Very sad. Not that retail clothing or small manufacturers are doing so well in very many places, these days.
I DO wonder what company actually made this hat, and what the story is behind the label.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I won a hat on Ebay also from Dickersons. There is little on Google about the store. I Googled the address and it looked as if the building was being renovated. All that is left in Detroit today is Henry the Hatter.

skid lid

New in Town
I won a hat on Ebay also from Dickersons. There is little on Google about the store. I Googled the address and it looked as if the building was being renovated. All that is left in Detroit today is Henry the Hatter.
Was it also branded "Chapeau Corot"? I'm a newcomer to the world of old hats but feel pretty certain that it was an American made hat. I found nothing at all with Google about Dickerson's clothing in Detroit, but I did see the street view on Google Maps and it does indeed appear as if that address is under renovation.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
I was born and raised in the Detroit area and still live here. As LuvMyMan states, downtown was once a plethora of hat shops and shoe stores. I find vintage items with local shops' names on them often. That said, I've not seen Dickerson's before. And Detroit IS reviving. I am currently coveting an expensive Detroit-made watch from this company:
http://www.shinola.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner