Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charlton Heston Gone at 84

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
R.I.P Charlton Heston

That is really sad news.I really enjoyed a great deal of his movies.who but charlton could have said ' from my cold dead hand '.
R.I.P Charlton Heston.he will be greatly missed.
It is even sadder,considering the great actor Richard Widmark died a few days ago also.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green were my favourites by the man...

I wish I could say I was saddened, but having had numerous relatives with Alzheimer/Lewy's spectrum dementias (my probable end, hence no kids...) I'd say two years was a 'lucky' escape and a blessed release.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
From THESE Cold Hands

When Heston raised a Kentucky long rifle at an NRA meeting & spoke the
above words, WELL :)offtopic: )

Two of my favorite Heston roles was as "Major Dundee" & his brief
cameo appearance in "Tombstone" :eusa_clap

Solid Citizen :(

PS Todays a good day to watch
"Ben-Hur"" :eusa_clap

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm no fan of his latter-day politics, but I won't hold that against him now... He had a remarkable ability to make larger-than-life characters believable. He was a much better actor than was generally thought - again and again, his gravitas made impossible situations believable. In every appearance, he dominated the screen: you couldn't look away...

He was a real movie star, and we won't see his like again.

Hondo

One Too Many
It’s a shame Hollywood never paid Charlton Heston his due a tribute, love him or hate him the roles he play were great, dominated the screen. Even that (his last) small part in Tombstone, R.I.P. :(

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I was just having breakfast and heard that another hollywood legend has passed on. I ran to my computer and thought I'd be the first at the FL to pay hommage to the man, but some of you other loungers beat me to it.

My favorite Heston film has to be "El Cid', a spectacular film containing some of the best old-world battle scenes ever filmed. His co-star and love ineterst in that film was Sophia Loren.

o_EL_CID_copy.JPG

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Oh my, what a sad day. :( Though I can't say I was his biggest fan, he was one of the greats, and it's always sad to realize another one is no longer with us.

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
At the risk of raining on the parade, he not only gave the NRA a human face, he also had some trenchent, not to say pungent, views on Homosexuals and women not quite knowing their place... he was entitled to the opinions, and entitled to expound them, and I am equally entitled to say that they significantly reduced the measure of man in my eyes.

He was a fine actor, a damned fine one, also a good husband and father too... but there were times he may well have done to better to keep his big yap from flapping.

One thing I did agree with him on...

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."

and I'm damned if I'm going to be politically correct enough to swallow some of his guff like it's Porterhouse...

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Thank you Mr. Heston.

I enjoy watching him in any movie he made. He was one of a kind. The thing I liked the most about the man thou was his little seen sense of humor. For a long while the vanity license plates on his and his wife's cars read "HER'S" and "HUR's".:)

Feraud

Bartender
R.I.P. Heston. The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur were common fare in my household growing up.

Let us not forget he was that rare and early supporter of the Civil Rights Movement in Hollywood.
Charlton Heston was a more faceted a person than he might be represented as.

Hondo

One Too Many
Prairie Dog said:
My favorite Heston film has to be "El Cid', a spectacular film containing some of the best old-world battle scenes ever filmed. His co-star and love ineterst in that film was Sophia Loren.

This one is also one of my favorites, Heston & Sophia Loren, soon to be added to my DVD collection. 55 Days at Peking, and Khartoum.

His strong presence to some of the most acclaimed and successful films of the midcentury. "Ben-Hur" won 11 Academy Awards, tying it for the record with the more recent "Titanic" (1997) and "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" (2003). Heston's other hits include: "The Ten Commandments," "El Cid," "55 Days at Peking," "Planet of the Apes" and "Earthquake."

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
BIG 3

Heston stars in the three of the BIGGEST costume epics of the late 50's/early60's Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur & El-Cid. Now
thats something :eusa_clap

Solic Citizen ;)

RIOT

Practically Family
RIP Mr. Heston

Thank You for all of the great movies and for protecting the rights of all freedom loving law abiding citizens to own guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW