Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chas Needs Furniture!!

Chas

One Too Many
Hello, all. Or should I say G'day?

I'm now established in Edithvale, and while the house is a bit drafty (which will be fixed), I really need to make it into a home.

In (almost) desperate need of decent furnishings - priority being kitchen and lounge. Something fedora-lounge-ish in persuasion, of course (think deco-50's) so if there's anything you Victorians need to offload, I am all ears.

Please, please email me!

Cheers.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I suppose this is one of those times ...

If you have to ask where Edithvale is, it probably doesn't matter, since we're talking furniture.

In this part of the world, however, Goodwill if checked daily, is a great place to find 50s and 60s stuff still.

This week I noticed they still had the new condition green mushroom cookie jar.
I don't know what that is supposed to connote?
Why would we have ever thought it was cool to put cookies in a giant green mushroom?

Wacky times, those!

Anyway, welcome home, where ever it is.

Sam

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Edithvale's a suburb in Melbourne.

Welcome to Australia, Chas. Gotten used to driving on the wrong side of the road, the temperatures, the currency and the language-barrier yet?

It's boiling in Melbourne at the moment (cool change doesn't show up until Sunday), so I hope you're keeping cool.

If you're looking for old furniture, I strongly suggest trawling through places like op-shops, flea-markets and places like that (Op shop = "Opportunity shop", same concept as the thrift-shop).

If you can make it (this might be a fair drive for you), the Camberwell Sunday Market is open on every Sunday (except public holidays) in Camberwell. It is Melbourne's one and only flea-market. You can buy and sell anything there. Antiques. bric-a-brac. Collectables. Hats. Clothes. Books. Musical instruments. ANYTHING. Including old furniture. I know of one or two guys who are furniture-sellers at the market. They're easy to track down (just look for the enormous trucks) and see if there's anything there which might tickle your fancy (and your wallet).

The market is open from about 5:00am until 1:00pm. Every Sunday (unless otherwise specified. If unsure, check the website).

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Things in op-shops can be really, really cheap. You want a genuine Savile Row suit for $60? That's what it's selling for at the op-shop where I work. I know, I hung it there myself. Just yesterday, I purchased a neat pair of shoes for $7. Brown leather slip-ons. Shoes in my size are really hard to find (I have small feet), so I snatch them when I can find them.

I'm not like some guys who have impressive collections of shoes. I have two pairs of black formal shoes, one pair of boots and one pair of brown leather slip-ons. I'd worn my brown leather slip-ons for so long (almost daily) that they're really falling apart. I'm very hard on my shoes and I wear them until they're complete toast. So I bought these shoes as replacements when the other ones finally die (and that's probably not gonna be very long, since I bought those second-hand as well).

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
Thanks.

I'm aware of the Op-shops; they are what they are- pretty hit and miss, and I have had some success with them, but for the real stuff I need to find it on ebay and actually win the thing. Unfortunately being a health care shift worker it means I have few days off and very seldom do they fall on Sunday.

This looks like it's going to take a LONG time to sort out....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner