Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chatham Chatter - The Stetson Chatham

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
As requested, a new thread to discuss the Chatham. My upgrades at Optimo made it home yesterday.

I began with the Chatham from bencrafthats.com that they customized with a 2 3/4" brim for a 40's look. Of course, it has that low crown and some complained on here that it was not proportional.

So, off to Optimo we go. I requested a 9 ligne binding in shiny :D taupe, a 16 ligne Hatband in Olive, and that they replace the stetson profile with a shallower teardrop and a wider pinch (I have a wide face) as part of a clean and block

and now, the pictures. Click to go to the full size shots at my Picasa acct.

closeup with brightness enhanced to show detail

and for the noggin...

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
While I would not recommend going out and buying a Chatham and then putting all the pretty ribbons on it as the cost with postage could put you in a $220 hat. However, if you bought the hat because you liked it and want to make it even better, this is a way to go.

The colors for this came directly from an Ebay shot of a chocolate colored whippet with period ribbon. I took the pictures from the auction, printed them out at Walgrens, and sent them along with the package.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
marvelgoose said:
While I would not recommend ...and want to make it even better, this is a way to go.

Small price for something that is unique and brings satisfaction. A very nice conversion. Wear it in good health Sir! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

carldelo

One Too Many
Wow

That is a truly swell-egant upgrade - nice idea to use the ribbon colors from a vintage lid. Time to decide how to modify my sage Chatham - still thinking of having it turned into a small-scale OR. Worth & Worth is a short subway ride away, but the work done by Optimo on yours is making me think the extra money for postage would be well spent. Thanks for taking the lead on this - I think the high quality of the Sovereign felt makes it a natural for modification.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice end-result on the Chatham, marvelgoose. I like the brim binding and the new ribbon. I re-worked the front of the crease on mine some time ago to try to make it higher but without more felt to work with, I did not have much success. I still like the Chatham though, and wear it quite a bit...yesterday as a matter of fact.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Could this be why Stetson Whippeted (copyright Matt Deckard 2009) their Chatham?

Do you have any pics of the inside?

New sweat and liner or is it the original?

100_0260.JPG

The Whippet (II) currently from Stetson.

product_10827_211_29_36.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I really like what you had done with it, marvelgoose! I think it's a big improvement. The more I look at those hats with the wide brim binding, the more I like them.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Could this be why Stetson Whippeted (copyright Matt Deckard 2009) their Chatham?

Do you have any pics of the inside?

New sweat and liner or is it the original?

No inside pictures as I left it all standard. Black satin and all. I have looked at that Whippet a few times but the similarity to the Chatham keeps me away. I already have a Chatham!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I really like the bound edge. Now that I have held a 9 ligne in my hand, I really like that width.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Got mine day before yesterday

I say it's better quality than the Indiana Miller. I ordered mine from Miller Hats and it arrived in about two weeks. The color is sage which seems to change color depending on the light, but I like it very much. It's sort of gray/brown/green with a greenish gray ribbon. The hat is a bit stiffer than most fedoras i've seen but it's not a bad thing. It's not western hat stiff. The bow did not feature the typical Stetson pin but a embroidered Stetson tag stitched in behind the bow in vertical letters. The tag is like what you would find in a shirt. The liner is black with the Stetson logo in mostly gold with also some blue and red. The sweat band says: "John B. Stetson Company", and "The Sovereign". I am very pleased with it out of the box. I like it for what it is and I seek no modification exept for some Scout felt hat repellent for the rain. Oh and I pulled that feather out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo