Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check it out...I won!

Originally posted by Canadave
He's got some wacky preferred checkout system, which didn't work when I tried. I've asked him twice if I can just PayPal him, and he's yet to respond.

David

Give him a break he is one armed and left handed. LOL
If you know how much the total is with shipping it might just be easier to PayPal him. I am sure he will get back to you--- eventually.

Regards to all,

J

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ads

I have almost all the Stetson, Knox, Dobbs, Dunlap, and Borsalino ads in .JPG format, if you need one for your avitar. Mine is a Stetson horse racing ad. I love this look, block, and color, so it's my avitar.

Canadave

One Too Many
GOT IT!

OK, the hat arrived today, and the seller must have been a one armed, left-handed measurer, 'cause her 22" somehow became a true 7 3/4! jamespowers was right!!! :)

[Reminder: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8115327814&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT]

"7 34" is handwritten on the inside of the sweatband, and the reorder tag also shows "7 3/4". I think the hat may have shrunk a bit, because the sweatband is a bit wavy. Moral? It doesn't fit, but I plan to take it in to be stretched and cleaned tomorrow. Sorry, no photos of me wearing it yet. :(

This is my first vintage hat, so I don't have anything to compare the felt to, but it feels pretty good to me. It's in great shape, but is a bit dusty and smells a bit musty!:( Will a cleaning fix this? Is there anything I should do?

Thanks for all your input (and to JP, for the "head's up"),

David

PS SHARPETOYS hazarded a guess that this is from the 50s/60s...any other guesses?

Re: GOT IT!

OK, the hat arrived today, and the seller must have been a one armed, left-handed measurer, 'cause her 22" somehow became a true 7 3/4! jamespowers was right!!! :)

Hey, that is great. It is good to be right for once. LOL Tags usually never lie. Measuring tapes and such...well....

[Reminder: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8115327814&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT]

"7 34" is handwritten on the inside of the sweatband, and the reorder tag also shows "7 3/4". I think the hat may have shrunk a bit, because the sweatband is a bit wavy. Moral? It doesn't fit, but I plan to take it in to be stretched and cleaned tomorrow. Sorry, no photos of me wearing it yet. :(

I figured it would not fit you straight out of the box but it is going to be a heck of a lot easier to get this one to fit since it is just one size down from correct. Darn, no photos. I need a chin to finish my collage. LOL

This is my first vintage hat, so I don't have anything to compare the felt to, but it feels pretty good to me. It's in great shape, but is a bit dusty and smells a bit musty!:( Will a cleaning fix this? Is there anything I should do?

Knox was a pretty good brand. Even their lower end stuff was still nice. Yeah, some hats can smell musty. A good cleaning will get rid of it. If it bothers you now just put a few moth balls in the box with it. Just make sure they do not touch the hat. This usually means you trade one odor for another though. :D

Thanks for all your input (and to JP, for the "head's up"),

No problem. I am just sorry some of the others didn't work out. Every seller thinks they have a huge size hat. Then when you ask it comes back as a 7 3/8! That's huge for a walnut! LOL

David

PS SHARPETOYS hazarded a guess that this is from the 50s/60s...any other guesses?

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Re: GOT IT!

Originally posted by jamespowers
Yeah, some hats can smell musty. A good cleaning will get rid of it...just put a few moth balls in the box...you trade one odor for another though.

I'm pretty sensitive to smells, and hate the smell of mothballs. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the cleaning helps. Thanks for the other input.

David

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cleaning time!

Your "new" hat smells "musty". May be mold, smoke, water, the odor of the old cardboard box...."

Only your nose "knows". HAHHAHAHA

I suggest a good airing out in an open spot, if the weather is dry, put it outside overnight on the patio table, preferably in a hat stretcher or hat block so it won't blow into the garden soil.

That will help immesurably.

If you LOVE the hat, send it to someone to clean and block it. Optimo can do it, so can Art.

YOU can do it. Buy some NAPTHA, get a spray bottle, and SOAK the thing in the solvent (outdoors of course). Use a terry towel to wipe the dirt off the hat, and let it air dry on a proper block.

You will have a nice, clean , vintage hat!

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Cleaning time!

Originally posted by Andykev
Your "new" hat smells "musty". May be mold, smoke, water, the odor of the old cardboard box...."

In this case, my nose would guess "dampness" or mold (but none visible.

...and let it air dry on a proper block...

Aye, there's the rub. Where the heck am I going to get a 7 7/8 block? :( Anyone? No? I didn't think so. ;)

There's a good men's old school hatter in Toronto who Kilgour Trout has used with success. I'll give him a try.

Thanks for the help, Andykev.

David

Re: Re: Cleaning time!

In this case, my nose would guess "dampness" or mold (but none visible.

Aye, there's the rub. Where the heck am I going to get a 7 7/8 block? :( Anyone? No? I didn't think so. ;)

There's a good men's old school hatter in Toronto who Kilgour Trout has used with success. I'll give him a try.

Thanks for the help, Andykev.

David

You are not going to find a size 7 7/8 block. My suggestion is to cut down a good-sized tree. That should do it. LOL LOL
An old school hatter who has done this stuff before should be able to help you easily. He can resize it without much trouble as well. All in all, it will still end up being a pretty good deal considering that a hat of that quality today could set you back a few hundred.
AndyKev gave you some good advice there. Set the little fella out in the open air overnight in an area that it will be safe. You can always turn it upside down on the crown and put something sufficiently heavy in it so it will not move around if it gets windy. I don't mean a brick either. :D Something sanitary and clean. Don't put a bottle of Bushmills in it either. I understand leprechauns like stingy brims and Bushmills attracts them. LOL
Seriously a jar of something innocuous and heavy should do the trick. :)

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: Re: Re: Cleaning time!

Originally posted by jamespowers
...Set the little fella out in the open air overnight in an area that it will be safe. You can always turn it upside down on the crown and put something sufficiently heavy in it so it will not move around if it gets windy.

Hmmm, something heavy and will fit in this hat...how about a watermelon? ;)

David

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
Ok post pictures...

It doesn't fit yet! Picture the top half of a face, wearing sunglasses with this perched on top: :)

fedora4.jpg

This is the eBay pic. The dents are actually more pronounced...I think the seller popped them out.

VOTE: Should I lose the pin and/or the feather? (I know how JP feels about this.)

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara