Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Check it out...I won!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Hat

You scooped a big buy, and that's not just the hat size. Nice lid. But you also slipped up, and I have a photo of Canadave wearing his new hat (he went for the express mail). Now why haven't you been more candid with us, Dave? You look so good in this new avitar photo:D ;)

f7f1d4af.jpg

Hey David,

That is great to see that you got it at such a decent price. :clap I see you also managed to hold on until the last few seconds. Gee, I wonder where you got that idea. ;)
Now promise me to remove the feather and use the pin as a tie tac. :D
I'd be willing to bet that it truly is a 7 3/4.
From what I recall, Robert Reed was not only a hatter but the name of a high end men's shop by that name. I could be wrong though.
I hope the hat looks as good as it does in those pictures. Are we going to get a 3/4 head shot with the hat on you when you get it? LOL

Regards to all,

J

Re: Great Hat

Originally posted by Andykev
You scooped a big buy, and that's not just the hat size. Nice lid. But you also slipped up, and I have a photo of Canadave wearing his new hat (he went for the express mail). Now why haven't you been more candid with us, Dave? You look so good in this new avitar photo:D ;)

f7f1d4af.jpg

Geez, I think he needs a haircut. Got a nice close shave though. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by jamespowers
1 Now promise me to remove the feather and use the pin as a tie tac. :D

2 I'd be willing to bet that it truly is a 7 3/4.

3 I hope the hat looks as good as it does in those pictures. Are we going to get a 3/4 head shot with the hat on you when you get it? :D

1 I promise!

2 You're on!

3 Is that a photo of you in your avatar? Let's see a head shot of you! :D

David

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Dave Wrote

Any comments on this "Knox - Flying Cloud, sold by Robert Reed, Gentlemans Hatter" would be appreciated.

The Knox Flying Cloud was there mid line hat made at that time. The Flying Cloud was a famous ship and Knox used that as a symbol to suggest that the hat was as light as a Cloud.
Robert Reed was a fine mens haberdahsery and hatter.:D :) :D

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
...The Knox Flying Cloud was there mid line hat made at that time. The Flying Cloud was a famous ship and Knox used that as a symbol to suggest that the hat was as light as a Cloud.

Thanks Roger. Any idea when it would have been made? (I don't want to rely on the seller's estimate.)

Wearing a hat named after a ship seems somehow appropriate for my hat size, huh JP? :D:D:D

David

Originally posted by Canadave

Wearing a hat named after a ship seems somehow appropriate for my hat size, huh JP? :D:D:D

David

Hey, I said that first! :D The hat is a size 7 3/4 though. Will that fit or will you need to have it sized up a bit? My chart says that a 7 7/8 is a 1/2 inch bigger. Come to think of it, I can jamb my melon head into a 7 1/2 but my head prefers a 7 5/8. I can think easier with a 7 5/8 too. LOL
Let us know when you get the Flying Rowboat. :D

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by jamespowers
...The hat is a size 7 3/4 though. Will that fit or will you need to have it sized up a bit?

I'm assuming it will have to be stretched a bit (if it's truly a 3/4. Remember, he said it was 22" around, which is much smaller. You figured he was a one-armed-left-handed measurer, and believed the tag. We'll see).

David

PS Is the fact that there is so little feedback on this hat an indication that most people hate it?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I hope you won't be disappointed

Ouch, that is a 7 or a 7 1/8. Too bad. Did you ask the seller to gently look under the sweatband for the "reorder tag". Most vintage hats have the block, color, and size on that tag. I have saved myself a ton of grief on Ebay by ask ask ask ....

If you can't find a tug boat hat for your head, ask Art to make one for you. He made one for me, and for Zohar...and both of us are :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

this is the link I put in another topic..

save this for reference

Hat Life Size Chart

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Dave wrote

PS Is the fact that there is so little feedback on this hat an indication that most people hate it?

They forgot about the hat and went off on your small hat size!:D :confused: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Canadave
I'm assuming it will have to be stretched a bit (if it's truly a 3/4. Remember, he said it was 22" around, which is much smaller. You figured he was a one-armed-left-handed measurer, and believed the tag. We'll see).

David

I going to go out on a limb and believe the tag before I believe the guy's measurements. LOL
I don't hate the hat, remember I pointed it out to you? :D It looks to be a decent quality hat. Put it on your head, snap the front of the brim down and your set. Oh, don't forget to put the two forward dents back in as well. :cool2:
You look to be a tall thin guy. Think Sinatra man. :cool: The original Ocean's 11 hat.

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: I hope you won't be disappointed

Originally posted by Andykev
Ouch, that is a 7 or a 7 1/8. Too bad. Did you ask the seller to gently look under the sweatband for the "reorder tag". Most vintage hats have the block, color, and size on that tag. I have saved myself a ton of grief on Ebay by ask ask ask...

...this is the link I put in another topic..

save this for reference

Hat Life Size Chart

I DID ask the seller to measure the sweatband, and he said it was 22" I knew that was way too small, as I use the same hat size chart that you posted. However, jamespowers was sure that the guy measuring just did a bad job since there is a 7 3/4 tag*. I wondered whether the guy could be out over 2 inches, and noted that the sweatband is wavy, so thought it possible.

I knew I was taking a chance, but it's not that expensive. We'll see what I get. (BTW, the guy isn't very responsive to his payment preference, so I may not be getting it anyway! :))

Good advice about the reorder tag.

David

*I'm NOT blaming you, JP. I appreciated your input.

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
His ad says he takes Paypal. Whats up????

He's got some wacky preferred checkout system, which didn't work when I tried. I've asked him twice if I can just PayPal him, and he's yet to respond.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara