Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Kudos for the many stellar suggestions so far, though I've noticed that most are a significant trek from Redavis' downtown hotel. I don't know his transportation situation but cab fares to and from some of these spots would be.....:eek:

So, in the interest of keeping it within manageable walking distance, I'll throw out a few suggestions.
For tunes:
Andy's
Blue Chicago
Red Head
Wonderbar

For grub:
Frontera Grill
Ditka's
Pizano's
Hugo's
Gibson's
Al's Beef
Spiaggia and Bistro 110

Sorry, I gotta' leave now as I seemed to have developed quite an appetite.:p

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Excellent catch on both Hot Doug's and Night and Day, Mr. Smith!

Very canny geographical deduction, Tomasso - Blue Chicago works. I shot a commercial in one of their two locations a couple of years ago - Great atmosphere. The Redhead is a good call if you want a throwback piano bar experience, and Rockit isn't far away, nor is Heaven on Seven, although I think that location closes around 5 or 6.

Whatever you do, avoid the House of Blues - The staff's attitude is generally ugly.

Well done, Gents,

T.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
M Tatterscratch said:
Heaven on Seven, although I think that location closes around 5 or 6.
The original H/7 (in the Garland building on Wabash in the loop) closes early but the Rush St. location is open late.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
M Tatterscratch said:
Maybe that's why people become gangstas - for the food!

Mmm-MMM, yo,

T.

Chicago food is worth dying for. Trust me. ;)

I found the hot dog stand, I'm not sure if it is the same owners as in the 1970s ( I don't remember the name because I was little), but it is in the same area. It is called Jimmy's Red Hots and it is at 4000 W Grand Avenue. Here is the link on Citysearch: http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/3730043/chicago_il/jimmy_s_red_hots.html

longpar7

New in Town
More food?

Hot Dog preference is the Char Dog at Gold Coast Dogs...can even get them at both airports. A perfect time killer when I get home to grab a couple while waiting at the baggage claim.

Favorite pizza is Pizzaria Due, just west of Michigan Avenue.

Hats Plus is no frills, great service...nice hats.

If you need a cigar, try Iwan Ries.

Corona Smith

New in Town
Tatterscratch, if you ever find yourself back in Chicago, I absolutely insist upon sharing a drink with you. Your knowledge of the city and how to sidestep the obvious hipster nature a city like Chicago embraces is quite apparenty and envied by yours truly.

As for continued eats, tourist nature and history aside, there is not a better cheeseburger to be had in Chicago than at the Billy Goat Tavern. I have a monthly standing lunch date there and it's always a very good time, especially when you have the opportunity to converse with a legend such as Jeff the bartender. A more knowledgeable man you will not meet, and there isn't a joke under the sun that this man hasn't heard.

It is my hope that upon Redavis' return from the city, there will be further places for me to explore. Search well, sir.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Chicago run

Alright, you talked me into it... I might just have to make a run into Chicago and hit Hats Plus tomorrow (Thurs. the 15th) and buy a new cover or three!!! Looks like they'reopen til 8pm on Thursdays, which should give plenty of time to spend some hard earned cash...Never knew they had such a good selection!!!

Cheers!

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Ask for Jeremy, Mr. Brody - He'll take excellent care of you. I think he's even a Lounge member.

If you think of it, please tell him that Trevlin says hello, and that the hat-case survived the Atlantic Crossing without difficulty...

Regards,

T.

Corona Smith

New in Town
Touche, Tatterscratch. In fact, your wit was so sharp there I may have to offer up a threeche! ...And I can tell by those crickets chirping in the crowd that yet another attempt at humor has fallen flat. Sigh.

David V

A-List Customer
I'm tossin in my quarterly plug for Home Run Inn pizza.
It is my favorite. (course, Chicago is a town where everybodies got a favorite joint for pizza!)

For a great Italian beef look for the "Scala's Beef" sign in the window.
Best dogs come from the Vienna Beef Co. with poppy seed buns from Mary Jane.

OH! Don't pass up the chance to sample the variety of ethnic restaurants that Chicago is famous for. You name the country, we got a mom and pop store front that serves it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Corona Smith said:
there is not a better cheeseburger to be had in Chicago than at the Billy Goat Tavern.
:rolleyes: There are dozens of joints that will blow the doors of their world famous cheeseborger, cheeseborger. Billy Goat is all about the circus, it ain't about the bread. The best cheeseburger in that hood is at Boston Blackie's ,a block and a half away.

"We will not tell you that the cheeseburger served at the Billy Goat Tavern is a gourmet’s delight. Far from it. It is made of a beef patty so thin that it cannot be cooked rare; the cheese on top is impure, adulterated American." Roadfood

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
"We will not tell you that the cheeseburger served at the Billy Goat Tavern is a gourmet’s delight. Far from it. It is made of a beef patty so thin that it cannot be cooked rare; the cheese on top is impure, adulterated American." Roadfood[/QUOTE]

Alas, in my experience, the BGT can't sue Tomasso or Roadfood for libel, either. I only ate there once for lunch with my Art Director - Both of our burgers were so small you could have used them for change in a parking meter, and they came entombed in the middle of a huge loaf of slightly brittle bread, entombed with a still-yellow tomato.

The demimonde-ish girl at the counter was only rude insofar as you could get a word out of her in the first place, and I don't mean in a charmingly gruff way, either. God bless anything that manages to become a legend in this fast-forward age, but they won't see me again soon.

Perhaps you have to "know someone" there to get good food - Wouldn't it be something if there was a secret room in the back, an "Eat-Easy", if you will - filled with succulent, overstuffed burgers and fries that made you think of the first cookout of summer?

If and when I'm in Chicago again, I'm going to go in there, march up to the door in the back, knock twice, and say, "Corona sent me..."

Medium Rare,

T.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
A 3 hour tour.. A 3 hour tour!!

Ok so I really didn't take "Rush Hour" into consideration. However I got to Hats Plus about 6pm, which gave me two whole hours to try on every possible hat... Ok almost every hat!!! Even my #1 little monster found some hats she wanted!!! And though I wanted to stop at all of the afore mentioned food providers... We had family down the street with dinner made! Go figure... I make a trek like this only to find out I have a brother in (or out) law, just down the roada bit!!! Looks like I'll be goin' back sooner than I thought!!!

But before I forget... The fellas at Hats Plus had everything I could have possibly wanted. Not to mention, the fellas there treat you like you're one of the guys!!! An excellent crew!! And what a selection!! I had #1 monster taking pics all over, in between trying on mad bombers.... And I have to say, they made my feeding frenzied fedora (a hat beaten up by 3 year old triplets) look like new!!!

Was it worth the roadtrip????

What are you kidding me!!! To be able to compare products and try hats on, rather than blindly buying and hoping for the right stuff... 2 fedoras and a pair of Newsboy caps later, I would have to give a definate yes!

SO here's to the fellas at Hats Plus!! Thanks for putting up with a 38 yr old kid in a candy store. And most importantly, thanks for making my quick road trip to Chicago worth while!!!

Corona Smith

New in Town
Ah the disparaging of the Goat, a time-honored tradition in and of itself. I suppose being a regular and the youngest "wiseman" in the Goat's long-storied history, I am granted with a perk here and there. Next time you're there, find a man named Tito, or tell Jeff the bartender that you know a fella by the name of "30s man." A series of nods and winks will follow and you will be treated to a shot, a beer and far beyond the run-of-the-mill cheeseburger.

-DG-

Ben

One of the Regulars
Which location would that be -- and are you sure you have a good reputation? A far-beyond-the-run-of-the-mill could be fraught with peril.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Corona Smith said:
Ah the disparaging of the Goat, a time-honored tradition in and of itself.
Most of the newspaper and ad folk I know bailed on the Goat after the SNL skits rendered it a tourist trap. I recall Mike Royko, a neighbor of mine, lamenting the fact. In any event, I was more of a Riccardo's guy. ;)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I'd better throw my tattered hat in:

There's a place just in sight of the Belmont rail entrance, or exit as was my case (Blue Line, in case you're wondering). It's a little dive with bar style seating, a tv in the corner and a couple of griddles and fryers in front of you. For the life of me, I can't think of the name.

But I'll tell you why I went there:
1. I saw two Chicago Police officers eating there, which is what brought me in the door.
2. There was an elderly, blind man sitting in the corner watching the tv. That's right, I said blind and watching. Don't ask me, he had the cane and black glasses.
3. The woman working was gruff, broad shouldered and had your typical "Chicago" accent.

I figured if local cops eat there, it's cheap and fast. If old blind men eat there, it's decent tasting, and if the woman taking orders is as...well...colorful as she was, the place is authentic. And I was very pleased with the end results!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21