Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Model-59 flight jackets

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Fascinating post.
Never knew that that the Chinese or North Korean air forces issued leather flight apparel.
If copies become available they could certainly make a buck there!

Edward

Bartender
Ah.... I've blown the mad money for a few weeks. These look cool. It'd be interesting to see the trousers (though a shame they're not selling jacket alone as that would save a few bob...). Be interested to hear from anyone who does buy one, though. At some point, I'd love one.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars

That's interesting but I when i firstly saw this thread I tried an almost blind browsing on chinese sites (armed with automatic translators and all...) and ended up finding these same jackets... I guess they will cost a lot less if purchased from there.

Another possible source could be Albania.
After the fall of Hoxha's regime you could buy albanian militaria in Italy for a song... not sure about now, they tell me that Albania's economy has enormously developed since then.

ciao!

Edward

Bartender
They definitely would be cheaper in China, it'll just be finding them will be the issue. I wouldn't attempt an ecommerce site there without a local's support. The Chinese are lovely folks in my experience and as honest as any other culture (usually moreso, actually), but I would never sink big money into anything where the potential for communication mishaps exists. I went looking for army surplus places in Beijing when I've been there, but so far I've found nothing other than places selling loads of US and US military style garments. I suppose that's what's fashionable out there. I guess, given especially that as far as I know they still have to do some form of national service, it's not really that attractive to Chinese kids to wear their own country's stuff.

guygardner

A-List Customer
There are government surplus/state company stores in every Chinese city, but I've never seen the flight jackets there. They usually carry those huge green greatcoats, army boots, gloves and helmets. Beijing used to have a large state company store close to the World Trade Center towers but it closed.

There is a great flea market in the southeast called "Panjiayuan" for anyone in Beijing or thinking of making a trip. There are local merchants with shops but also people from the countryside who bring stuff on the weekend. They have antique pottery (fake and real), calligraphy, motorcycles, cameras, and vintage military stuff. I've seen some old army coats from the 1940s-1960s (looks like the stuff the red army wore on the Long March).

http://www.beijingguide2008.com/panjiayuan_market_beijing/panjiayuan_market_beijing.html

Edward

Bartender
There are government surplus/state company stores in every Chinese city, but I've never seen the flight jackets there. They usually carry those huge green greatcoats, army boots, gloves and helmets. Beijing used to have a large state company store close to the World Trade Center towers but it closed.

There is a great flea market in the southeast called "Panjiayuan" for anyone in Beijing or thinking of making a trip. There are local merchants with shops but also people from the countryside who bring stuff on the weekend. They have antique pottery (fake and real), calligraphy, motorcycles, cameras, and vintage military stuff. I've seen some old army coats from the 1940s-1960s (looks like the stuff the red army wore on the Long March).

http://www.beijingguide2008.com/panjiayuan_market_beijing/panjiayuan_market_beijing.html

Ah, cool - I'll check that out. Not one I've been to. I'll be over there in April next (usually three trips a year).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I realize that the fur collar offers warmth when turned up and secured with a throat latch and prevents neck chaffing when turning around in the cockpit, but what is the designed purpose of a collar as over sized as that? Can anyone offer some insight? I've seen a similar peculiarity with some of the German kanaljackes. The collar seems so large that it would obscure the eyes if turned up.
Oversized furry collars were common in the Eastern Block and Soviet sphere, and even Russia until recently. I agree, the collars are too big to be practical; I suspect at some point they became just a style feature.

Great photos in this thread.

Really cool thread! I also had no idea Chinese issued leather flight gear, especially not stuff this cool!

I wonder how 'made in China' whiners feel about this. It is made in China, but it is also made in China.
0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I wonder how 'made in China' whiners feel about this. It is made in China, but it is also made in China.

That depends on what and when stuffs were made. Up until the early nineties, most of the PRC products, especially wool and silk garments were of superior qualities, and certainly not copies of anybody.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating. Hoping one of these days someone will create a thread with examples of less talked-about jackets from around the world.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating. Hoping one of these days someone will create a thread with examples of less talked-about jackets from around the world.
There isn't that much interest around here, especially since this isn't really a military forum. There's more on VLJ.

Here's a lot of pilots and air force generals, North Korean this time (click for large image).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn