Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Model-59 flight jackets

lapa

Familiar Face
Most of the time we've been talking about US or UK flight jackets. Here is something different...

Attached pictures are air crews in Chinese model 59 flight jackets. They were usually in goatskin.

The type has run a very long history in China Air Force. It was also often sought by civilians before 90s. It was replaced with model 02 in very recent years.

These pictures were possibly taken in time of Chairman Mao (50s - 70s). I collected from the Internet.

160_12616269800w8x.jpg
192_44979_d9a1326839740ad.jpg
k6j-wangwenli.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Nice! I was in Beijing last week, and made it to the military museum for the first time. Some really interesting things there, but none of the displays of uniforms included these. They look to me like a cross between a USAAF B2 and a B15. Do you have one of these? Are they still around?

lapa

Familiar Face
There are two types, one with fur collar for winter (in first two photos) and the other for spring/autumn. I have both of them, but the style is too old to wear...

Metatron

One Too Many
I realize that the fur collar offers warmth when turned up and secured with a throat latch and prevents neck chaffing when turning around in the cockpit, but what is the designed purpose of a collar as over sized as that? Can anyone offer some insight?
I've seen a similar peculiarity with some of the German kanaljackes. The collar seems so large that it would obscure the eyes if turned up.

Last edited:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Thank you Lapa!
I always had a curiosity for lesser known flight jackets...
by the way, I'm pretty sure to have seen both the models (with and without fur collars) in photographs of Albanian pilots... probably issued by China during the alliance between the two States, or copied by the albanians themselves.
The four pocket disposition (two orizontal breast zippered pockest, and tow slash handwarmer pockets) reminds me also of soviet jackets I've seen.

It would made also a good jacket for civilian use!

lapa

Familiar Face
Hi wiseguy, this type of jacket is also cloned by Air Force of another country. Look at the pictures and you will know which one. :)

In China the style is out of date, but there are still some lovers in motobicycle riders.

cacc96f04136-4736-4011-83ec-811a89cbc036-0.jpg
caccQkSN8vaMn.jpg

Last edited:

shanghaitan

New in Town
Very cool. I have not seen any of these in the wild in China. Could probably get one made in the many tailor shops, would go great with a TianJin Air Force Chronograph :)

lapa

Familiar Face
Shanghaitan上海滩, this type was just deprecated. You can find a lot on taobao.com or in stores of military stuff.

Last edited:

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
Thank you again, Lapa! I like also the new model, which seems more streamlined while keeping relation with the older one. The new collar seems more practical, too.
The waistband now has an internal elastic instead of a wool knit? It looks similar to the current leather flight jackets of french and italian Air Forces...
ciao!! :)

Edward

Bartender
Is that new jacket leather or nylon? It looks more like leather in the photos, but an unusual colour for leather.

Metatron

One Too Many
I like the model 02, and I also like how it shows it's lineage. I don't understand the practical purpose of such a massive collar on the 59 version. Is the idea that the pilot can wrap it round his face if forced to bail out in a very cold environment?

lapa

Familiar Face
Guess so. We can see the same design in jackets for early days of flying history such as B3 and Irvin.

I don't understand the practical purpose of such a massive collar on the 59 version. Is the idea that the pilot can wrap it round his face if forced to bail out in a very cold environment?

Edward

Bartender
I really like both versions- I must try and find them on sale in Beijing when next there. I Love the older ones, but also the 02, which still has a vintage vibe to my eye. I'd love to pick up one of each of these models.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails