Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the jacket

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wrote directly. From one came out-of-office auto-reply, from the other nothing so far. Will wait.
BTW, Thurston says Aero does not allow any modifications to their military jackets but on the Aero page they offer different customisations, like thicker lining, zipper choice, etc..

Yes, but no detail change to the design. I had tried that before and that's how I know.
If you want a custom design and really thick shearling, check out the thread on fivestar.
The shearling is really nice and you can configure the jacket the way you want it. Delivery time usually 3-4 weeks. At Aero you probably won't get a shearling until early spring at the earliest, because they don't have that many people making shearling jackets. Unless you get lucky and find one that is in stock.
Due to the pandemic, I waited around 10 months for my Aero Irvin.

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Thank you. I saw people who were not quite happy with 5*, they said smth about colours not as described, etc. Of course, for such price its normal but the guy prefers to pay more but not get any problems afterwards. Though the timing and communication is also very important, of course. It looked to me that their jackets are all short. Is my understanding correct that they can make it longer?

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Talked to the guy for whom the jacket is intended. He said, most imp for him is that the jacket is made from high-quality materials and with correct template (for ex, if you lift your arm, other part of the jacket should stay intact and not move together with the sleeve,. Also, if you lay the jacket flat on the shearling side and pull it to the sides to make as flat surface as possible, the back shouldnt bulge). And second point is durable leather, abrasion resistant. Weight is not so important. He also mentioned that materials that Eastman uses are not of such high quality than they used to do before...
Please, help! Which manufacturer would you choose?

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Maybe I should look for pilot-like jackets outside the military reproduction companies, just in regular ones. Any ideas of brands with high quality shearlings?

MrProper

Thank you. I saw people who were not quite happy with 5*, they said smth about colours not as described, etc. Of course, for such price its normal but the guy prefers to pay more but not get any problems afterwards. Though the timing and communication is also very important, of course. It looked to me that their jackets are all short. Is my understanding correct that they can make it longer?

Shawn's camera or the lighting where the pictures are taken are a disaster. The colors always look different than in reality.
But in the meantime, many members here have already tried everything and we know what is good and what is not.
I wouldn't buy OTR at 5* either, as my impression is that the standard sizes are more on the wide side. I have them all made to measure there. And of course you can specify the length of a jacket the same way.
Premium Goat in black or seal is good, Shearling as well. Cow I know only from a jacket pocket, but also seems to be good. Hands off goat in russet. That is chocolate.

Aero:
0AA4F59B-283E-46B1-8992-9DE0F6678330_1_201_a.jpeg
2A9291BE-705A-4406-9D46-EDA32E696385_1_201_a.jpeg

Fivestar:
AA8EBC8E-9028-4A63-8244-D8D0783E465D_1_201_a.jpeg
C81305F0-C2AF-410E-9B92-DD80B9FC5F67_1_201_a.jpeg
tempImagevYYAxG.png

Fivestar new shearling for Irvin Jackets.
21810560-40C1-4DE1-8E85-2D1ACB188426.jpeg

More pictures: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/five-star-leather-jackets.101762/page-204#post-2839768

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Looks great! Is it a new project with 5* too?
Are you able to show photos in more 5* jackets? Because I seem to like the template!

MrProper

Are you able to show photos in more 5* jackets? Because I seem to like the template!

Yes, the new project is also made by 5*. However, in the reddish shearling and not in the dark as in the example picture.
You can find all my jackets in my Instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/krstnkln9000/).

Almost all jackets of the members in TFL you can find in the thread:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/five-star-leather-jackets.101762/page-204#post-2839768

If standard dimensions fit you, check Aero's stock list. The shearling from Aero are also very nice.
Exact dimensions then best to ask Holly directly.
https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=salerv&sub=milit

Last edited:

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Thank you! Can you provide any insight as to which size corresponds to L international?​

MrProper

Thank you! Can you provide any insight as to which size corresponds to L international?​

I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I have no idea, sorry.
In addition, every manufacturer does it in its own way. I have clothes from M - XXL and 40 - 46.
The only thing that is halfway comparable are jeans lol

Can't you get the body measurements? Then it will be much easier.

El Marro

Talked to the guy for whom the jacket is intended. He said, most imp for him is that the jacket is made from high-quality materials and with correct template (for ex, if you lift your arm, other part of the jacket should stay intact and not move together with the sleeve,. Also, if you lay the jacket flat on the shearling side and pull it to the sides to make as flat surface as possible, the back shouldnt bulge). And second point is durable leather, abrasion resistant. Weight is not so important. He also mentioned that materials that Eastman uses are not of such high quality than they used to do before...
Please, help! Which manufacturer would you choose?
Julia, I have an Eastman B6 and it is a very comfortable, very well-made jacket. I would say it is also made with “the correct template” and I agree that is a very important consideration when buying a jacket.
I’m not sure where the guy is getting his information from regarding Eastman quality issues but I don’t agree and I haven’t seen anything here on TFL to support this either. The biggest gripe against Eastman is that they have raised their prices several times in recent years to a level where many people feel they are just not in reach anymore.
I am not saying that you should buy an Eastman jacket, simply that you should not write them off entirely. The best option of all would be for you and the guy to go somewhere to try on jackets in person. I am not sure if this is feasible where you are but I know it could save you a lot of time and trouble buying jackets over the Internet and being disappointed when they arrive due to fit or construction issues.

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Julia, I have an Eastman B6 and it is a very comfortable, very well-made jacket. I would say it is also made with “the correct template” and I agree that is a very important consideration when buying a jacket.
I’m not sure where the guy is getting his information from regarding Eastman quality issues but I don’t agree and I haven’t seen anything here on TFL to support this either. The biggest gripe against Eastman is that they have raised their prices several times in recent years to a level where many people feel they are just not in reach anymore.
I am not saying that you should buy an Eastman jacket, simply that you should not write them off entirely. The best option of all would be for you and the guy to go somewhere to try on jackets in person. I am not sure if this is feasible where you are but I know it could save you a lot of time and trouble buying jackets over the Internet and being disappointed when they arrive due to fit or construction issues.

Thank you much for your info! He would be glad to try it on, but here in Russia we dont have any of these. How would you compare Eastman and Five* quality?

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
I'm afraid I'll have to pass. I have no idea, sorry.
In addition, every manufacturer does it in its own way. I have clothes from M - XXL and 40 - 46.
The only thing that is halfway comparable are jeans lol

Can't you get the body measurements? Then it will be much easier.

Yes. I have some measurements, they are from a shirt he wears. The shirt is intended for people with:
Chest around 109 cm
Neck 40-41cm
Sleeve 86-88 cm
Length of the shirt 80 cm.
Anither Shirt's waist size is 106, and it is comfortable, so the waist itself should be around 100sh cm.
Shoulders 46 cm.
His weight 73kg and height 178cm

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Usually size L fits him. I figured its about size 40 in eastmans clothes?

Btw, he became interested in five*. Is their sizing standard ?

El Marro

Thank you much for your info! He would be glad to try it on, but here in Russia we dont have any of these. How would you compare Eastman and Five* quality?
I have never handled a 5* in person so I can not offer any real comparison. I will say that all of the jackets that @MrProper has posted from 5* look awesome and fit superbly. I will also say the MrProper owns jackets from many of the premium makers we see here on the Lounge and the fact that he continually collaborates with 5* tells me that they are doing something right.
But I would not recommend 5* to you at this point in time. That is because The best results we have seen from 5* are when people provide them with many detailed measurements and exact specifications for every single aspect of the jackets construction. Some of the members here have become quite good at this and their jackets are awesome. There is usually a trial and error period where the first jacket or two does not come out that great and measurements(and expectations) are adjusted accordingly.
Unless this process of jacket design is something that appeals to you I think you would be better off buying a sheepskin jacket from someone like Eastman, Aero, Lost Worlds, etc. who already has the construction figured out and can assist you in finding the size you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112