Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing the jacket

Bbrtns

New in Town
another suggestion: A Simmons Bilt jacket in their Elk leather. Thick leather but very soft and pliable, I can imagine it is warm and very tough. Line the jacket with wool or shearling and I can imagine this is what you are looking for.

Initial mails can take a bit long (around a week) to be answered, but once you've put your order in they answer within 24 hours.

Edward

Bartender
Whatever happened to the Flounger who, about a decade or fifteen years ago, had Aero make him up a B3 with FQHH outer shell? I recall that was a monster of a jacket! Looked great, but the break-in would have been something!

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Thank you much! Would you please clarify a but more what breaking-in is?

A question connected to the upper one.
Im now looking at Eastman's ANJ-4 available at the dealer. If my understanding correct, this is broken grain? If so, what pros and contras does it have? I saw someone in this forum writing he would never buy broken grain again.

What can you say about approximate weight of this jacket too?

https://deeceestyle.ch/products/eastman-shearling-flying-jacket-anj-4

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Yeah it’s jaw dropping really.

I wonder how the shearling does within such a shell? If the areas carrying more weight ie shoulders and collar zone end up smushing the shearling down?

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket indeed...

Can anyone provide insights into anj-4 eastman's 2nd version? Would be highly appreciated.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Im now looking at Eastman's ANJ-4 available at the dealer. If my understanding correct, this is broken grain? If so, what pros and contras does it have? I saw someone in this forum writing he would never buy broken grain again.
Julia,
I think you should buy that jacket from a dealer who allows returns and exchanges. I don’t think you are going to learn much more from just asking questions and reading past forum posts here, although of course you are welcome to do both to your hearts content.
I think it is time to get your hands on an actual jacket and see for yourself whether it fits well and how you like the sheepskin and horsehide, etc. Once you have seen one of these jackets in person you will have a benchmark and a place to start from when looking at other jackets. And if the jacket fits I think you would be hard pressed to do much better than Eastman

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Guys, you are not getting my point. I cannot try any of these in person because there arent any. Plus, I m choosing it on request and not for myself. So, all I can do is read, search and ask questions. Please, do not involve in the situation, there are too many details. Believe me, I do my best and there is nothing better that I can do. Also buying-trying-seing how it is is not an option. Imagine Devil wears Prada. I have a difficult task which I would like to complete. And my impatience is partly connected to that the person constantly tries on various jackets and I have to come out best.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
There's also this magical beastie @Salmosalar cooked up, a custom Aero wayfarer with shearling lining and collar:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ou-wearing-today.82949/page-1784#post-2851598
Fyi I have another tweaked version in russet in production at present - will report back, but the black one is perfect for this time of year, so well worth experimenting down this route. The badalassi is thick but also v supple, so it can easily take the weight of the shearling whilst being easy to move in, so exactly what I was hoping for.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
A shot of the sleeve after a few weeks of breaking in….this black badalassi is a really fantastic hide and is rapidly developing a lot of character…
F709CA72-C212-4521-8C58-9EFFFD54F132.jpeg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Guys, you are not getting my point. I cannot try any of these in person because there arent any. Plus, I m choosing it on request and not for myself. So, all I can do is read, search and ask questions. Please, do not involve in the situation, there are too many details. Believe me, I do my best and there is nothing better that I can do. Also buying-trying-seing how it is is not an option. Imagine Devil wears Prada. I have a difficult task which I would like to complete. And my impatience is partly connected to that the person constantly tries on various jackets and I have to come out best.
Sorry, but if you notice the classifieds are full of jackets that didn’t work out the way the owner planned. There is no absolutely correct answer to your questions. It’s more or less alchemy.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Fyi I have another tweaked version in russet in production at present - will report back, but the black one is perfect for this time of year, so well worth experimenting down this route. The badalassi is thick but also v supple, so it can easily take the weight of the shearling whilst being easy to move in, so exactly what I was hoping for.
Full fit pic?

Mrfrown

One Too Many
@JuliaG I finally went through this whole thread to get a better understanding.

I think your best option for a custom jacket to fit right the first time without going in person is either Greg Fields at https://fieldleathers.com/ or Thedi https://thedi-leathers.com/. They both have a very high reputation for nailing the fit.

Both have a wait list (Field Leather's is longer right now I've heard). Both use very fine materials.

Field Leathers doesn't currently show very warm options on the site but he could probably do it. He responds especially quickly via instagram at https://www.instagram.com/fieldleathers/?hl=en

Thedi has a selection of several shearling jackets to choose from, with a wide range of style including two types of B3s and others. Its possible he'll have something in the shop that will fit the man in question. He also strikes me as the type of creative maker that will be able to produce something to meet your specifications in an elegant, practical way (warmth, bag over shoulder, etc).

Have you tried reaching out to him? Others could perhaps give their communication methods with Theo, I have one of his jackets but it was bought second hand.

JuliaG

One of the Regulars
Sorry, but if you notice the classifieds are full of jackets that didn’t work out the way the owner planned. There is no absolutely correct answer to your questions. It’s more or less alchemy.

I understand that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ