Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christina Aguilera's video to Candyman! Wow.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What's not to like? Hot music, bassy beat -can't listen and sit still! It's great entertainment! And if she was looking to gain a new audience with her new look, she sure hooked me. She can SING. It's a voice up there with the very best of them. Enormous stage presence. Whereas, say, Madonna made it big with the smallest portion of talent, this girl has it in abundance. More power to her.
I think she performed this New Year's Eve on Dick Clark, and I loved it right away, then forgot about it until this thread. I went and bought the song on iTunes just now. Wish I could buy a clear copy of the video.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Let's face it, in this day of music videos, sex sells. She is a beautiful girl, and using that beauty to keep eyes on the screen is an important sales tool. Yes, obviously the costumes were skimpier than 40's wear, but that's only good salesmanship for the video.

IMO the glass is much more than half full in this video, not more than half empty. I would encourage those who enjoy period music and images to enjoy what's there, not worry about deviations from the 40's. It's not the 40's anymore, and entertainment doesn't sell the same way.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Leading Edge said:
Am I the only one who kept being distracted by the similarity to "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (from Company B)" while listening to and watching Christina Aguilera's "Candyman?"

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap note for note...But who cares. The girl can sing! :D

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
Im not a big fan of hers but I have been shown MANY clips of her singing courtesy of my other half and shes no joke. Im actually being invited to go see her here in Los Angeles and Im looking forward to it.

ohh.

Lady Day said:
"He's a one stop shop, makes my ..... pop." :confused:

They even censored that line of the song on her website.

Sheesh!

LD

Its ment to be censored out in all versions

btw :)

-V. ( Im new here, Hello Everyone!)

Phil

A-List Customer
The whole big band/swing era music is being sampled if not featured in newer music. I was listeing to the radio, and I heard some other songs kinda like this one. There was a lighter rap song sampling parts of Pensylvania 6-5000. Another rock song used some lick from what I think was an Ellington song, I can't rember the title at the moment.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Phil, your post reminds me of Gwen Stephani's latest in which she uses part of a number from The Sound of Music. First time I heard it I just about fell over - but I really LIKE it! I think it's a very creative approach to music.

It's about time! Put together well! The little lady and I slid the coffee table across the room and stepped out to the beat. We can still do a great hand to hand dance(especially when no one's looking);)
HD

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace,

You are correct sir. She did this song with backup dancers in the rain in Times Square on New Years.

I was in NYC and saw it. On my sister's TV in Queens. :D

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
What kind of dance are they dancing? Swing? If so, what kind?

They're doing the bare-minimum of the original Harlem swing dance, the Lindy Hop. Although there's barely enough there to even call it lindy, but they are in the classic circle which denotes a "swing jam" in which all of the dancers circle around and encourage one outstanding couple who give it all they've got. I wish they had shown more of the actual dance instead of trying to wow us with aerials.

Although I still love the video...can't help it! :D

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Love it all!! The song, her, the video. I love it even more that Benji Schwimmer is the main swinging soldier!. I have such a crush on that kid!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for saying this!!! People seem to forget that people where dirty perverts in the 40's too! Things weren't like the movies!! Women didn't all talk fast with that reporter voice and a man didn't kiss with a tight embrace a closed mouth!

Feraud said:
Saucy lyrics are nothing new. They existed in the "good old days" and even helped to sell more records.
The more things change...

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I love the 3 versions of her synced together and the soda shop look is cute too. Really enjoyed the video! It's good to see someone in the limelight incorporating their version of the 40s style.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I am big fan of Christina's big voice and her current style. I can't wait to go to her concert in April. She's definitely evolving as an artist and doing her own thing. You don't see Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson performing with the likes of BB King, Tony Bennett and Herbie Hancock.

I take the video for what it is and try not to focus on the authenticity of anything. Hopefully, as others have mentioned, this video will help a younger generation get interested in vintage style and make them want to learn more. The outfits were a bit skimpy (not that I minded at all) but its a reflection on the times and sex is what sells. You want true vintage authenticity you go to a FL event.. mainstream pop videos will do what makes the $$$

Oh.. and the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy thing was bothering me at the beginning but I've grown to like the song.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I just went and took a peak at the video today and I actually heard the song for the first time about 3 days ago on Pandora.com. I love it.:eusa_clap Comment about the sailor outfit - it is skimpy but the pin up girls and the vargas girls wore skimmpy outfits in the 40's, so I guess it is not any different now.

Brooksie

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
brooksie,

my objections to the outfit isn't so much that it's skimpy, but that she looks like a daddy long-legs in it. IMO, she's much too thin for such an outfit! i think those look much better on girls with some curve to them :)

i hope i didn't come off sounding like a puritan before!

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
I liked the song and it was catchy enough without even watching the video. I'll admit that I couldn't understand most of the lyrics, but I didn't care, I liked the sound. As for the video and the appearance of vintage items... I'm sure that the video wasn't meant to be a reproduction of the appearance of the 40s; instead, it was meant to be an homage to the period with a modern flair.

Overall, liked the song, liked the video. There might be a fan in the works.

Did a quick search and came across another clip you might like: Candyman Live on Ellen Degeneres's 600th Show

Mike

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
oh my gosh,absolutely in love.

nice beat and i love how they hint with the 'big...uhhh' and put their finger on their mouth and look away.How cute and subtle!

Who knows maybe this will turn my generation onto Glen Miller and the Andrew Sisters?...a girl can dream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot