Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Dinner

sal

One of the Regulars
Dinner is at my place this year and I am looking for something different to cook.
Usually it has been turkey, ham or roast when we travel to others
Something relatively easy but I do like to cook. I will be hosting 8 people total
Any ideas ?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Goose is an old traditional Christmas bird which can be a success.

This year most of our Christmas is before the actual day so for Christmas Day lunch I'm cooking Beef Tenderloin from this recipe which is outrageously delicious.

I'll do roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings with it - yum!!

DNO

One Too Many
Goose is an old traditional Christmas bird which can be a success.

This year most of our Christmas is before the actual day so for Christmas Day lunch I'm cooking Beef Tenderloin from this recipe which is outrageously delicious.

I'll do roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings with it - yum!!

My wife puts great importance on having a turkey dinner for Christmas. I just looked at your beef tenderloin link...sure wish I could convince her to switch to that one! Looks great.

By the way...the best roast potatoes I've ever made came from a technique by Jamie Oliver. It's at this site: http://bigspud.co.uk/2009/12/20/jamie-olivers-roast-potatoes/

I skip the red wine vinegar and the rosemary...absolutely superb roast potatoes.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Rue, I'm the cook in our house and we just love all the recipes from Ree Drummand.

It's cool that what started as a little blog has become quite the career for her.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
My wife puts great importance on having a turkey dinner for Christmas. I just looked at your beef tenderloin link...sure wish I could convince her to switch to that one! Looks great.

By the way...the best roast potatoes I've ever made came from a technique by Jamie Oliver. It's at this site: http://bigspud.co.uk/2009/12/20/jamie-olivers-roast-potatoes/

David, coming from the UK, my mother made a Sunday lunch with roast potatoes every week. She cooked them in lard and they tasted great.

I do my own version these days:

Peel and cut the potatoes.

Boil them in salted water for about 15 minutes.

While this is happening, pour some good olive oil (I like California olive oil these days coz I'm on a "buy American" thing) about 1/4 inch deap in a 2 x 1 ft shallow roasting pan and put in 400 or more degree oven to heat the oil.

When potatoes are ready, drain them and put in the hot oil - a bit of that Rosemary is good to add, along with lots of fresh ground black pepper. I drizzle more olive oil over the potatoes too, they need a good coating.

Roast for 40 minutes or so or until they are crispy and irresistible. I turn mine over while they are cooking to get the olive oil goodness all over them.

Doesn't get much better!

Oh, no red wine vinegar for me either, but I'll try the Jamie Oliver recipe one day - looks good!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Goose seems to take a lot of work, basting and all that stuff. Can be greasy too, but really nice if done just right.

I like the Crown Pork Roast idea though.

DNO

One Too Many
David, coming from the UK, my mother made a Sunday lunch with roast potatoes every week. She cooked them in lard and they tasted great.

I do my own version these days:

Peel and cut the potatoes.

Boil them in salted water for about 15 minutes.

While this is happening, pour some good olive oil (I like California olive oil these days coz I'm on a "buy American" thing) about 1/4 inch deap in a 2 x 1 ft shallow roasting pan and put in 400 or more degree oven to heat the oil.

When potatoes are ready, drain them and put in the hot oil - a bit of that Rosemary is good to add, along with lots of fresh ground black pepper. I drizzle more olive oil over the potatoes too, they need a good coating.

Roast for 40 minutes or so or until they are crispy and irresistible. I turn mine over while they are cooking to get the olive oil goodness all over them.

Doesn't get much better!

Oh, no red wine vinegar for me either, but I'll try the Jamie Oliver recipe one day - looks good!

Oliver's recipe is similar.

Parboil the potatoes (8-10 min)
Drain them in a colander and let them cool about 3 min. Then 'chuff' them up...shake them in the colander so they get fuzzy.
Then into an oiled pan with salt and pepper.

Into the oven for about 25-30 minutes, then take them out. This is where Oliver's recipe really pays off. Take a potato masher and push down gently on each potato. You just want to flatten them a little bit. (Oven temperature is whatever you are using for your roast/bird/etc...about 375 for me)

Then sprinkle a bit more oil and put some orange peels and peeled, whole, garlic cloves in the pan.

Back in the oven for another 30 minutes or so.

Wonderfully crispy on the outside, thanks to the 'chuffing' and soft and airy on the inside.

Great stuff.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass