Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Vacation

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
For us parents, our kids are now out of school for either a week or two .....Now it's the dreaded, 'Mom, I'm bored' words coming from their mouths every other minute :rolleyes: What are some ideas to keep the kiddies entertained?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

I'm Bumfuzzled. My kids don't begin break until Friday, and I'm off this week using up vacation time before it's lost! :)

Hey - Billy knows music, and there's costumes in the barn... I know, let's put on a show! :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
Hey - Billy knows music, and there's costumes in the barn... I know, let's put on a show! :D

lol .....Every year my grandmother sends this HUGE box full of goodies...it's a double treat, since there's nothing like homemade goodies, and with the box, the kids spend hours playing with it (nothing like cheap entertainment ;) ) The box is really late this year though :(

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Whenever I hear kids kvetching because they're bored with so much vacation time I have to bite my tongue from saying "sooner than you think the time you get as a kid for the holiday break will be the total of the vacation time you'll get for the entire year; I'd enjoy it if I were you".

Bitter, who me?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
imoldfashioned said:
Whenever I hear kids kvetching because they're bored with so much vacation time I have to bite my tongue from saying "sooner than you think the time you get as a kid for the holiday break will be the total of the vacation time you'll get for the entire year; I'd enjoy it if I were you".

Bitter, who me?

You should have taken an academic library track instead of corporate ;)

I get off tomorrow at noon and don't go back till the 2nd. Can't wait!

GOK

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:

Bitter, who me?

I stopped working as a teacher almost three years ago and I still miss having 13 weeks paid holiday a year! :(

Sunny

One Too Many
I learned quickly not to tell my mother I was bored. Her solution was to fold laundry, or sweep the floor, or vacuum, or wash windows... lol

My oldest younger brother was the only one of us who didn't ever ask her for something to do. He still is a master at entertaining himself and others.

Elaina

One Too Many
Well, let's see. I have one of those kids that whine constantly. (I wasn't one of those kids.)

This year, we just bought a place. So I need to clean, repaint, scrub, make curtains, move, put up...you get the idea. My son will most likely help me do all that, some before and some after we actually move.

Usually, tho, we do things together. We go to the musuem locally and look around. We go to the fashion district and look at fabric. We go out once for tea (there is nothing to instill a sense of masculine pride then "taking" Mom out for lunch at a frilly, girly place). We go do volunteer work. We bake cookies. I actually stop and watch cartoons with him for a while (but only Billy and Mandy). We spend an afternoon playing War. We make homemade cocoa. He oils my sewing machines (NOT for the faint of heart. He oils them well, yes, but I spend that night wiping them down and getting the excess off of them so I can actually sew later). He sews. I spend alot of time telling him to let the kitten out of that box. I spend an even larger amount of time finding places the kitten CAN hide and opening up whatever door she needs to get into (my adult cat just smacks him away). He gets to 'cook' dinner one night, he irons my aprons one day...I'm not one for planning out the kid's life, but when he is under foot all day, every day, I've found something small usually buys me time that he's not clutching and whining AT me. Mostly, tho, he just "helps" me do whatever it is I'm doing at that moment.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Zohar said:
You should have taken an academic library track instead of corporate ;)

I get off tomorrow at noon and don't go back till the 2nd. Can't wait!

Oh, tell me about it! All my friends are in academic libraries -- where else would I hear "jeez, I'm going to have to start watching my time off, I'm down to only 22 days". With my next job I may be lured over to the academic side.

Seriously though, enjoy your vacation. Doing something fun I hope?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Spending time with my wife and little girl at home for the most part. We traveled a lot over Thanksgiving and fall break, so we're going to take it easy now. I do have a 4 day camping trip with my scout troop over new year's, though.

I've only been out of school since '05, so I don't have much vacation time saved up yet. These days off in December don't touch our annual leave, though. We just get them off because the university closes.

30 more minutes!

Dalexs

Practically Family
This is another one of those perfect examples of the way it waswhen we were kids...

Parents didn't even think twice about letting the kids roam the nieghborhood for miles. There was no need to worry. We didn't have gamecubes, psps, xboxes... there were only 6 channels to watch.

If one got bored, they went outside and played.

I thinkn kids today are too use to being entertained 24/7. They don't know how to just play.
And yes, I wouldn't dream of letting my kids do some of the stuff I did as a kid.

Anyways, my wifes home with the kids next week, so its not my problem!
We just bought a new house, so if they get bored, there's plenty o' packin to do!

Dalexs

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Dalexs said:
This is another one of those perfect examples of the way it waswhen we were kids...

Parents didn't even think twice about letting the kids roam the nieghborhood for miles. There was no need to worry. We didn't have gamecubes, psps, xboxes... there were only 6 channels to watch.

If one got bored, they went outside and played.

I thinkn kids today are too use to being entertained 24/7. They don't know how to just play.
And yes, I wouldn't dream of letting my kids do some of the stuff I did as a kid.

Anyways, my wifes home with the kids next week, so its not my problem!
We just bought a new house, so if they get bored, there's plenty o' packin to do!

Dalexs
I know what you mean! For me and my friends as kids, it was always off to our bikes and we'd only drop in the house for lunch and dinner and rode around till the street lights came on (that was the set curfew :) )

Michaelson

One Too Many
Don't kids know how to sit quitely and read a good book anymore? That's what my daughters did when they were growing up. [huh] My eldest daughter now has one of the largest private libraries I'm personally aware of.....close to several thousand titles now (no kidding!) and a bear to help move. I'll be glad when she's finally settled in Arizona and will be keeping them all in one place for a while. (grins)

As to vacation....I've been working 50 hour weeks every week this past Fall semester with only comp time piling up, and the class grid I see for Spring looks to be the same thing....so I've been off since last Friday and been trying to catch up on the pile of books I've let get away from me. It's nice not to be sitting in front of a production switcher and producing a distance education class for a while.:D

Regards! Michaelson

Elaina

One Too Many
Michaelson reading is one of those things that either you do or don't. My son is an amazing reader, but tell him to sit and read is like punishment to him. He doesn't like it. *grumble* And he didn't get that from me or his dad.

My boy's pretty good about entertaining himself on the whole, he needs direction to do it. "Go play with the cat.t" "What about the Gameboy?" "Go outside." Just we have the whining at first.

And enjoy your break!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy