Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christy’s Marlborough size 61 in Navy - price reduced

carldelo

One Too Many
Reduced price - $80 shipping included.

This is an almost new size 62 Christy’s Marlborough purchased from Hornets Hats last spring. Hat was ordered in size 62, but is almost a perfect size 61 and is therefore too small for me – worn twice. The color is a rich dark blue, felt is similar to Akubra, but a little softer than my Stylemaster. This hat has a European-style taper to it, well suited for those who can’t sport a straight crown (like me). If it fit, I’d be keeping it. Asking $80 + $10 shipping, or could meet in NYC area within reason. PM or post questions – thanks for looking, Cheers, Carl

Specifications:
Crown: height 4-1/4” to center pinch, matching 1” ribbon
Brim: 2-3/8” wide, with matching ¼” binding
Lining: white with clear crown cap.
Size: marked 62, but interior circumference is 24” = US 7-5/8 = metric 61
Click smaller thumbnails below for additional full-size pictures. The top row are daylight+flash photos, the bottom row are bright daylight only.

Forsale016.jpg

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
A couple followups, if you please...

Regarding the size of the hat, would you say the actual size is a "full 61cm"? My head measures 61cm and that's my size but I can't afford to go even a little bit on the small side of 61 or it feels too snug after an hour or two. But an honest 61cm should be Just Right.

I'm new to hats. What is the generally-believed drawback to "taper"?

I'm a pretty big guy (6 feet, 220-something pounds) with a big head (oval face with high forehead and really, really high crown to my head) so my biggest fit issue is getting something with a tall enough crown not to bottom out but short enough that it doesn't make my tall/big head look even taller/bigger. Not sure where the "taper" concept fits in that calculus but the one hat I have now has a fairly modern shape, not blocky-classic buy any means.

And do you take PayPal?

carldelo

One Too Many
Brent Hutto said:
A couple followups, if you please...

Regarding the size of the hat, would you say the actual size is a "full 61cm"? My head measures 61cm and that's my size but I can't afford to go even a little bit on the small side of 61 or it feels too snug after an hour or two. But an honest 61cm should be Just Right.

I'm new to hats. What is the generally-believed drawback to "taper"?

I'm a pretty big guy (6 feet, 220-something pounds) with a big head (oval face with high forehead and really, really high crown to my head) so my biggest fit issue is getting something with a tall enough crown not to bottom out but short enough that it doesn't make my tall/big head look even taller/bigger. Not sure where the "taper" concept fits in that calculus but the one hat I have now has a fairly modern shape, not blocky-classic buy any means.

And do you take PayPal?

Hi Brent - re the size, I'm a true size 62 and can wear the hat, although it's tight. I've measured my head where it sits comfortably and get 61 or a bit more.

Re: taper, the drawback is that it is not perceived to be properly vintage in appearance, which is true. However, if it suits your face then I think that trumps vintage appearance. I myself look best in the modern Stetson shape which is moderately tapered. What modern hat do you have now? Maybe I can compare the shape of this hat to it.

I don't have PayPal, but will take an old-fashioned check or money order.

Thanks, Carl

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I typically turn the front of the brim down rather than up as pictured here. At any rate, note the very low rise from brim to bottom of the crease...

belfrydean1-300.jpg

The wool felt Belfrey hat I've been wearing has what to me seems like a quite pronounced taper but perhaps that's accentuated by having only a 3-1/2" crown height. By comparison, your Marlborough photos seem less tapered and certainly taller. Still, kind of apples to oranges as they are very differently shaped and proportioned crowns.

I think the Dean looks fine on me and I have no specific requirement for vintage-ness (can I admit that here?) but by my reckoning my head/face do not admit any lower crown, smaller brim or more pronounced taper. Moving in the opposite directions, if necessary, seems more prudent.

carldelo said:
I'm a true size 62 and can wear the hat, although it's tight. I've measured my head where it sits comfortably and get 61 or a bit more.

That's about how my "XL" size Belfrey hat works for me. I'm a 61 and it's like 60.5cm which means it is completely wearable but won't quite settle down exactly where I want it.

carldelo

One Too Many
Brent Hutto said:
I think the Dean looks fine on me and I have no specific requirement for vintage-ness (can I admit that here?) but by my reckoning my head/face do not admit any lower crown, smaller brim or more pronounced taper. Moving in the opposite directions, if necessary, seems more prudent.

I looked over the Dean at the Hats in the Belfry site - the Marlborough is bigger in the crown and brim, obviously; there should definitely be enough room in the crown vertically. The Marlborough may appear less tapered from the front due to the bash, but it's hard to say without seeing them side by side. In any case, I don't think it's a huge departure from your current lid, but an incremental move towards more classic proportions.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
My thoughts exactly, Carl. All that remains is reaching an arrangement regarding transfer of the $80 and the hat, then.

I do not appear to have PM capabilities in my new forum account. Would you mind sending an E-mail to brent@brenthutto.com to get the ball rolling?

Thanks!

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Hat is BOUGHT!

I received the Marlborough from Carl today as promised. Quite the spiffy lid I must say.

Navy is not the versatile color in the world but the Christy's version is dark enough that it seems to work OK with anything that doesn't totally clash with blue. It makes anything you wear it with look a little dressier, even jeans with a Polo shirt and a sport coat.

Thanks for passing it on, Mr. Delo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR