Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christys Adventurer "steel grey" - a difficult color?

Mystic

Practically Family
Well,

I came home, made these photos. Today, it's rainy, really dark. I couldn't make Photos outdoors, they became no good.

One i made outdoor, just for you guys to see.

What are you thinking? You see my problem with this intense color of the hat?

Ah, sorry for not smiling. But there is nothing to smile on this weather today, haha! :D

img0016lv2frk078y.jpg

img00241v0yirsxgf.jpg

img0014xifgm9zs3r.jpg

Hm, as i see now, it doesn't actually look bad on these fotos. But on the pics i miss this green- blue touch... the hat looks darker than it is actually.

Looks fine to me.

But, if in your eyes you don't like wearing it.......Put it up for sale in the classifieds and find another hat.

My $.02 is you are making too much out of attempting to get matching sets out of clothes bought seperatly.

Hat, coat and sweater vest looks great, relax and enjoy the ride....

Edward

Bartender
Absolutely looks fine to me. Similar shade to one of my favourite hats, actually. The biggest limitation I normally find with grey is that these days the ribbon tends to be black - I'd prefer a grey shade for that too to make it go better with browns and such. That said, we're all forgetting that back in the day the average man in the street's hat had to go with everything because he may well only have bee able to afford one....

I have a beautiful 1940s Champ "camel-down" fedora ... wide brim, tall straight crown, just a dandy hat.

It is yellow .... try matching that with something other than jeans.

dicktracy1.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Erehwon, the shade of the hat looks much like my Moonstone Akubra Federation, just a little darker. It looks excellent with your coat and other greys. Remember, your hat doesn't have to match the color of your coat or suit, just go with it; and I love having my hats contrast, darker or lighter, with my shirt or sportcoat or outerwear. Charcoal grey hat with light grey sportcoat, say, or silverbelly hat with dark blue windbreaker.

Edward

Bartender
Erehwon, the shade of the hat looks much like my Moonstone Akubra Federation, just a little darker. It looks excellent with your coat and other greys. Remember, your hat doesn't have to match the color of your coat or suit, just go with it; and I love having my hats contrast, darker or lighter, with my shirt or sportcoat or outerwear. Charcoal grey hat with light grey sportcoat, say, or silverbelly hat with dark blue windbreaker.

Agreed - everything too closely matching (as opposed to being complementary) can look costume. Like the difference between really well done formal daywear and the run of the mill, high street wedding costume.

TipTop

Practically Family
Well,

I came home, made these photos. Today, it's rainy, really dark. I couldn't make Photos outdoors, they became no good.

One i made outdoor, just for you guys to see.

What are you thinking? You see my problem with this intense color of the hat?

Ah, sorry for not smiling. But there is nothing to smile on this weather today, haha! :D

img00241v0yirsxgf.jpg

Hm, as i see now, it doesn't actually look bad on these fotos. But on the pics i miss this green- blue touch... the hat looks darker than it is actually.

Well Erehwon, I think you are thinking too much and too negatively. I saved your middle shot purposely because of your blue checked shirt, etc., and with other colors, I think this hat looks great. I don't know if you wear or pay attention to denim styles/colors, but they have been producing the "vintage" denims for a year or so that are practically turquoise where they are worn, because there is so much yellow-tan showing through the blue wash. I think this hat falls into that pallet and you may want to try wearing it over a camel or even yellow sweater or scarf and see what happens.

Strictly speaking, from the complementary color chart I posted yesterday, red/orange is supposed to be opposite/complementary to deep blue/green, but I cannot recommend a red orange coat for you...:D. But I do say GO WITH IT and try mixing and matching. You can always get another hat to work with that particular wool heavy coat. In sum, I like the hat and like it on you and if you can find a scarf or something else to complement it, I think you'll be happier.

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your opinions! Today, it was dark here, not much sunlight. The hat looked pretty blue. In light it looked grey again. I just try to mix the colors now! You sure will see me on "what are you wearing today?" a couple times. ;)

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy