Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chronic Illness

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal -

I hear you on the natural remedies. I am self taught, and pay for my own stuff out of my pocket. So, I know exactly what it can be like. I am only too thankful that I got to the point where I am with them in the sense that I have my own "system" set up and I don't have to deal with all of the trial and error like I had to.

Hope that you get some answers and results.

Update:

I was doing really well the past few years and then last October, something happened and my RA suddenly became very active again. I was in soooo much pain that even the opioids weren't helping. I started taking tumeric and I can't believe how much it's helped. Still, it doesn't take care of the fatigue and the overall feeling of body aches, like I have the flu. I went from working out 2-3 times a week (which I absolutely LOVED) to barely making it out of bed.

To make matters worse, my rheumatologist suggested I try acupuncture (been there and done that) and some other "natural" methods. The thing is, she doesn't ask me if I can AFFORD to do those things (I can't). And sorry to say, while natural methods are great for some, insurance doesn't always necessarily cover them, and for a lot of them, you have to go at least once a week or more. If I can't drag myself out of bed and get sick just walking to the car, how am I supposed to go to all those medical appointments? Don't get me started on America's healthcare system...

Unfortunately, my body is a medical mystery and does not conform to the "rules." Treatments that work great for others does not for me. So I am off to visit a rheumatologist at UNMC (University of Nebraska Medical Center) who loves medical mysteries. Well, he'll have one with me! I just want to feel better.

I'm also taking a new injectible med for my migraines (Emgality). While it appears to have reduced the really, really bad migraines, it has not taken care of the daily headaches. I am to the point where I doubt I'll ever be free from them.

Ross Douthat writer for the NY Times (their last conservative writer) has just published a book that covers his experience dealing with the effects of Lyme Disease and his journey through the medical system. He was a strong anti alternative therapies until the medical establishment proved to be unhelpful even to the point of dismissing his debilitating symptoms as 'all in his head'. Out of desperation he sought out alternative therapies and down a rabbit ole he previously dismissed and denigrated. He did find some relief, at least enough to allow him back into the world of functioning humans. Interesting read.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do and I sleep like a log after that.

Just have to leave away the booze, drinking a mug of coffee with Rum makes me antsy like a

Tiki Tom

^
Chemo turned some things upside down in my physical chemistry…:D

So sorry to hear about this.

I have a very close and old friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Fortunately, after much nail biting, it turned out to be phase I and caught early. Her lumpectomy is scheduled for early December. Good news, all in all, I guess.

I wish you good outcomes, speedy recovery, and all the best.

All my life I have been the type of guy who has stayed away from doctors and generally enjoyed good health (knock on wood). Now I’m entering that phase in life when doctors visits will inevitably be ever more frequent. I don’t mind saying it scares me.

Turnip

Hey Tom, thank you very much for your kind words!
I have been very lucky.
Though my tumor has been found at very advanced stage, not much air left to top, I didn’t develop metastases. So I „only“ had to stand a very major surgery and follow up adjuvant chemo, a regenerative cure and a slightly less major follow up surgery. Have been away from the window for about 15 month in total.
Meanwhile I just feel some minor long term side effects the chemo tickled out, have to run an aftercare screening program and am officially declared to be cured after more than five years without new findings meanwhile.

All the very best to you and of course to your friend. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for the best possible outcome and least possible side effects!

Tiki Tom

Herpes is supposedly super common. But in a lot of people it remains dormant. Not that I would know. I mean, really, this is general knowledge; REALLY I have no reason to be discussing herpes. Why would I? Certainly I wouldn’t bring it up at a party. Or discuss it on a first date. I mean, herpes? I think I gained this knowledge from a Jeopardy question. Herpes? Ahem. Never heard of it.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I met this girl who had a bunch of pills on the dresser. I was nosey. I looked at the labels. She had herpes medication. She said that I should be okay, since she was taking the meds. I'm a little disturbed that she didn't tell me until after I saw the pill bottle. But then again, she wasn't hiding the pill bottle. It was right there with the other pills she takes.

And apparently, it's common. 1 out of 6 people. That doesn't make me feel any better. I got checked out. I'm okay. Doc said that I'm more at risk of catching Covid. That doesn't make me feel any better.

upload_2021-11-19_0-25-16.png

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I met this girl who had a bunch of pills on the dresser. I was nosey. I looked at the labels. She had herpes medication. She said that I should be okay, since she was taking the meds. I'm a little disturbed that she didn't tell me until after I saw the pill bottle. But then again, she wasn't hiding the pill bottle. It was right there with the other pills she takes.

You'd certainly be okay if you were wearing a nice raincoat.

...And apparently, it's common. 1 out of 6 people. That doesn't make me feel any better. I got checked out. I'm okay. Doc said that I'm more at risk of catching Covid. That doesn't make me feel any better.

View attachment 380204
What an odd comment to make: "It is estimated that more than one of every six people aged 14 to 49 years have genital herpes." Doesn't that imply those people will magically be cured of it the moment they reach the age of 50? o_O

Herpes?
How many people still eat underways with unwashed fingers??
There are, basically, two types of herpes--HSV-1, a.k.a. "cold sores" or "fever blisters", and HSV-2, a.k.a. "genital herpes"; they are both variations on the Herpes Simplex Virus. HSV-1 is transmitted through close personal contact like kissing (specifically through saliva), and HSV-2 is transmitted through sexual contact. Either way, washing your hands (or any other body parts) isn't going to help because this virus can lay dormant (i.e., inactive) within the affected person's cells for months, or even years, before it reappears and reactivates the infection. The symptoms can be treated, but there is currently no cure for the virus so an infected person should take precautions to prevent it's spread during an outbreak.

Girls get herpes in nail salons. All that you need is a girl with hand herpes to fondle you.

View attachment 380912
Oh, please. Unless she had sexual contact with the manicurist while she was there, she got the herpes somewhere else. The bacterial infection caused the problems with her cuticles, not the herpes. She's just using that as the excuse to deflect blame for having unprotected sex with someone who knowingly or unknowingly has the herpes virus.

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
There are people who do believe that infections can be spread at nail salons. Not just the herpes virus.

Maybe girls should use condoms at the salon.

Screenshot 2021-11-21 18.57.31.png
Screenshot 2021-11-21 18.57.58.png
Screenshot 2021-11-21 18.58.59.png
Screenshot 2021-11-21 19.02.01.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana