Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chronologically Misplaced Flapper

Mojito

One Too Many
After doing quite a bit of lurking, I decided it was impolite to stand in a corner swirling my White Lady...so I've touched my hair to make sure the silver filet and fascinator are in place, shifted the dress so the bead fringes are all untangled and swinging, pulled my shoulders back and walked up to a group of people chatting to say "g'day!" (Or the more elegant, non-antipodean equivalent of the phrase).

I've got a wide range of historical interests - from the Amarna period of Ancient Egypt's 18 Dynasty on downwards - but I seem to have settled most comfortably in the 1920s. Vintage beaded dresses, silk velvet, chiffon, a Dutch Doll bob, the California Ramblers playing in the background and a cocktail in hand. It all adds up to make me a very happy lady!

Love the tenor of conversation in this place - tone and subject are perfect. If you could do with a flapper who loves to dance on tables, dress up, and who knows that if she has a few too many Singapore Slings she can become gin-coherant, I'm your girl!

Mojito

One Too Many
Thank you for those kind, lightening fast replies! I didn't even need to swallow the cocktail double time to cover my nerves!

Nick, the Egyptian influence is one of the things I love about the Art Deco movement - thank goodness for the timing of the discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb! Ankhesenamen's Nubian wig hairstyle would have looked very good on any self-respecting flapper.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hello!

A warm welcome to this delightful madness. It sounds as if you will make a very positive contribution. I am looking forward to your point of view. There is much here to learn and much to discuss.

Brooksie

One Too Many
G'day mate! er.. hello Mojito, good to meetcha and welcome aboard!
I am kind of a 20's kind of a gal my self also. See ya around.

Brooksie

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Greetings Mojito!

I think you're going to really enjoy this forum, a place where class is on the marquee every night and high style is a staple of life. And by the way, I enjoyed your post - very witty. You have an exceptional turn of phrase and an articulate way of expressing yourself. Sadly, something of a rarity nowadays, but it only makes you doubly welcome here!

Mojito

One Too Many
Goodness, this is certainly the cat's meow of forums!

Brooksie, I *love* the name! I'm another member of Lulu's legion of fans - all hail the Dutch Doll Bob!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Mojito said:
Thank you for those kind, lightening fast replies! I didn't even need to swallow the cocktail double time to cover my nerves!

Nick, the Egyptian influence is one of the things I love about the Art Deco movement - thank goodness for the timing of the discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb! Ankhesenamen's Nubian wig hairstyle would have looked very good on any self-respecting flapper.

The Egyptians were nothing less than other-worldly with their unique style of art. So totally unique and sophisticated compared to other ancient cultures.
Inspired me to draw things like this,....

artwork005.jpg

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
The Egyptians were nothing less than other-worldly with their unique style of art. So totally unique and sophisticated compared to other ancient cultures.
Inspired me to draw things like this,....

artwork005.jpg

This is excellent work! A beautiful value study.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I love anything ancient and/or Egyptian myself, nice to meet you. :)

Oh as do I. I was *this close* to really studying to be an Egyptologist. Then I said, ah shoo, Ill be an animator instead. :rolleyes:

LD

PS and welcome Mojito!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Come on in and join the happy crowd

Great to have you with us Mojito. And another Aussie - bonus! Looking forward to hearing more about your 20's style.

Mojito

One Too Many
It has been a great welcome - I'm still sipping the White Lady to hide the blush arising from Curt Chiarelli's kind compliment (while running through possible dry, witty responses in my mind).

The Egyptian contingent is a bonus! But so Deco! I love your sketch - or rather, highly polished drawing - Major Nick. Do you mind if I ask your sources? Don't have a reference work to hand, but is it one of the coffins - or coffinettes - for Tutankhamen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats