Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chuck Taylor color question.

knockahoma

New in Town
I like to wear chucks on casual days. I have always gone with the black high tops and feel like a change. What color do you guys suggest that would go with almost everything. Nothing flashy please. I am also thinking of getting the low tops so that I can wear them with shorts this summer. Thanks.

Knock

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Mine are white. I like white in the summer. I've been meaning to buy a black pair, but just haven't.

When I was a kid, I'd wear out a white pair every summer. Then I'd get a black pair for my birthday in November and wear them out by June.

AF

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
High tops, now. But I used to get low tops for summer wear. When I was a school kid (1962 - 1974), Chuck Taylors were pretty much all kids wore. We'd get low top whites to wear in the summer (coastal North Carolina gets very warm and humid in the summer), and we'd wear black high tops to school. It wasn't until I was in high school that guys started wearing Dingo Boots and crepe sole chuckas and the like.

AF

Mine are white. I like white in the summer. I've been meaning to buy a black pair, but just haven't.

When I was a kid, I'd wear out a white pair every summer. Then I'd get a black pair for my birthday in November and wear them out by June.

AF

Very similar memories growing up in NYC during the same era. I used to mark time by a new pair of Converse sneakers and the slow rise in prices... always white low-tops for me and always purchased at Paragon in Union Square. I tried to wear them as an adult but could never get those flat bottoms to feel as good as they did as when I was a kid.

On the color question, I would shy away from glitter. ;)

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Staying with Converse, I think the Jack Purcell line is a little more age appropriate, (almost 50) for me..I like the all white or navy blue myself. I also wear Vans which I think are pretty cool.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
The only Chucks I have ever owned are black with white toes. I like the look of the black on black and the off white cream colored ones. I don't think I would buy a new pair in any color though. Not only has the price risen but the quality has declined over the years. They are not worth the 40-50 dollars that they go for.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
P - the quality has declined because under Nike the Converse shoes have been made in lower and lower cost sweatshops, currently mostly in Vietnam.

I personally don't buy Nike products so I really wish New Balance made something similar here in New England.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only Chucks I have ever owned are black with white toes. I like the look of the black on black and the off white cream colored ones. I don't think I would buy a new pair in any color though. Not only has the price risen but the quality has declined over the years. They are not worth the 40-50 dollars that they go for.

You can still by low tops that are extremely similar to Converse at Wal Mart and Target for under $15.00. I bought my last pair for $4.00 on sale but they only lasted three years mowing the yard.

later

I still have a few pairs of American-made Converse shoes, both Chuck Taylors and Jack Purcells, purchased 20 and more years ago at a groovy little general store in Seattle called Chubby & Tubby, which, alas, has also gone the way of American-made Converse shoes. (Hearing the news that the American production would soon be a thing of the past prompted me to keep a pair of red low-tops in reserve. They've yet to be worn outside the house.)

I don't often wear my Converse shoes these days (except for the Jack Purcells I don before jumping on my stationary exercise bike), and, truth be known, the old "real" ones are kinda falling apart anyway. But still, the sight of them can still bring a smile. My wife's assistant showed up for work in a bright purple pair the other day. Real cute.

As to your question on color, knockahoma ...

"Nothing flashy, please" sounds like black or white, although I've seen some limited runs that would fit within those parameters. I happen to have a modern pair (bought on a whim) in a black base color with a red-and-white windowpane effect over top of it. They're generally sober-looking, at least as sober-looking as sneakers can be on a decrepit old man such as myself.

m0nk

One Too Many
I've got a few pairs as well, two sets of low-tops (in black and charcoal) and high-tops in white.

We have a discount shoe store near here called Super Shoes, and they typically have a couple different colors of Chucks at around $30, which is cheap compared to the mall or shoe store prices for them. The most common color to see under $30 is navy blue for some reason...

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Staying with Converse, I think the Jack Purcell line is a little more age appropriate, (almost 50) for me..I like the all white or navy blue myself. I also wear Vans which I think are pretty cool.

Boyo-boy are you right! I LOVE those 'Jack Purcell's' - I bought a bunch at a discounted price and still have two pair in the closet unworn! I've loved them for decades having once seen George Harrison wearing a pair in a photograph. Heck, even James Dean was a 'Jack Purcell' man! -dixon cannon

jamesdean-jackpurcell.jpg

ortega76

Practically Family
I have about two dozen pair. Love 'em. Great all around shoe. If you don't care for the classic black, try the gray or navy. Both go with a number of color pallets. One of the coolest pair I picked up was off their customized website- burgundy velvet to match a velvet jacket for a Christmas party. It was a fun/funky workplace so it was kind of expected at the holidays.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I still have a few pairs of American-made Converse shoes, both Chuck Taylors and Jack Purcells, purchased 20 and more years ago at a groovy little general store in Seattle called Chubby & Tubby, which, alas, has also gone the way of American-made Converse shoes. (Hearing the news that the American production would soon be a thing of the past prompted me to keep a pair of red low-tops in reserve. They've yet to be worn outside the house.)

I don't often wear my Converse shoes these days (except for the Jack Purcells I don before jumping on my stationary exercise bike), and, truth be known, the old "real" ones are kinda falling apart anyway. But still, the sight of them can still bring a smile. My wife's assistant showed up for work in a bright purple pair the other day. Real cute.

As to your question on color, knockahoma ...

"Nothing flashy, please" sounds like black or white, although I've seen some limited runs that would fit within those parameters. I happen to have a modern pair (bought on a whim) in a black base color with a red-and-white windowpane effect over top of it. They're generally sober-looking, at least as sober-looking as sneakers can be on a decrepit old man such as myself.

Ahhh, Chubby and Tubby... I miss that place sooooooo much!!

For me, white or off-white and at least a year's worth of wear and abuse... nothing looks better than a pair of beat-up Chucks.

I have black low tops but a good many hi-tops in various colors. I have a pair that I wore my senior year of college, 1980-81 that are red, a blue pair, a grey pair, 2 custom pairs = 1 UGA, 1 Auburn themed, & 1 pair of Skull & Crossed Bones.
They just seem to fit my feet better than any model out there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff