Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chumleys - NY Speakeasy Institution Near Death

Girl Friday

Practically Family
There used to be a Chumleys here in Dallas, it was a great place, some old guy always on stage playing sax, or something. Real jazz in other words.

The bartender was Chumley, the beers were cheap and the atmosphere was great (ie. a total dive), one night his girl friend said they were packing up and moving to New York... I wonder if this is the same guy.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
incidentally from wikipedia:
Chumley's is a pub at 86 Bedford Street in New York City's West Village. It has a "secret" entrance on Barrow St with no exterior sign, giving it the air of a speakeasy. It is purported that the expression to "86 someone" (meaning to stop serving liquor] comes from the police informing Chumley's before raids by Prohibition agents to "86 everyone out the back door."

A plaque at the tavern, dated September 22, 2000, and placed by Friends of Libraries USA states that Chumley's has been placed on a Literary Landmarks Register and goes on to say:
A celebrated haven frequented by poets, novelists and playwrights, who helped define twentieth century American literature. These writers include Willa Cather, E.E. Cummings, Theodore Dreiser, William Faulkner, Ring Lardner, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Eugene O'Neill, John Dos Passos, and John Steinbeck.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
backdoorman

Senator Jack by the back alley entrance
IMG_8952-vi.jpg

No smokers, just law abiding citizens.

glad to see its not being torn down:
UPDATE 5:08PM: Turns out it was a chimney collapse inside Chumley's. Building most likely won't be coming down.

vonwotan

Practically Family
That really is sad. When I came home from boarding school I finished up at a school in the East Village. At least once or twice per week we would go to Chumleys to do homework in the old booths, and being familiar faces, had quite a few pitchers with the lobster specials (order one get the next for 1/2 price)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael