Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cirrus Jackets - Opinions?

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I ran across the Cirrus Web site the other night, and I was wondering if anyone here had one/knew anything about them, etc. I can see they're not necessarily the most accurate or even trying to be, but I was in the mood for something different. I have a nice Bronco repro already, along with some others, so just looking for something else. Opinions welcomed, both on quality, materials, service, etc.

Edward

Bartender
I've not handled one personally, but I've seen a fair few of them on eBay. They seem to be similar to the ALC offerings. As far as I can tell from a photo, they look nice enough if you're not concerned about it being identical to an original Irvin.... if someone can confirm whether the quality is there, you might find a good deal on eBay. It seems to me that they don't attract bids from those looking for accurate reproductions, while a lot of other folks are attracted by the ALCs more as they are branded Irvin.... I've seen a few Cirrus go recently for, I think, in and around GBP£175 or so.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I had a Cirrus for years in the early eighties, before ELC and Aero etc. produced better reproductions. It was OK, but then I was going for function more than accuracy. I drove a '32 Ford roadster at the time and didn't like to get my original jackets soaking wet.

It (the Cirrus, not the roadster) was OK. It lasted me for years as a 'beater' and weathered well. The finish was weird ('Hurricane' finish IIRC) and the details were way off, but it kept me warm and it was cheap in a sale. IIRC, the reason that it was cheap was that Cirrus labelled the windflaps of the first ones they produced with 'Irvin Jacket' and then realised that they risked legal action from Moto-Lita who own the name. ISTR they inked over the name and sold them cheap through a magazine. Would I buy one now? No, but then I don't drive a roadster anymore...

Alan

PatC

New in Town
Cirrus Jackets

Hello Vornholt,
With regard to the Cirrus jackets, I have had both an A-2 and currently one of their Adam jackets and have found them to be well made and the leather to be excellent. The authenticity may not be on a par with Eastman or Aero but I have found the materials and quality of construction to be very good indeed.Hope this is of some help.

Best Regards,
Pat

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first Irvin was a Cirrus. Very warm jacket, well made, but it was too bulky for my liking, so i sold it and bought an original!

PatC

New in Town
Cirrus Adam jacket

Here is a picture of my adam jacket to give you an idea what they look like. The website seems to still be using images that they had over 12 years ago when I bought the first jacket from them.

IMG_3870.jpg

All the best,
Pat

PatC

New in Town
Thanks Edward,
I have had it for a year or so and it's breaking in nicely. I wore it as a Motorbike jacket during the Summer and hard use and the regular soakings it got have done it the world of good.

best regards.
Pat

tnitz

New in Town
Cirrus Sherling

I ran into a Brit the other day and noticed his sherling jacket. It didn't look like a RAF Irvin, but I asked if it was an Irvin anyway. Here's what he said - I am only repeating what he told me:

1) He said there were "two" companies, Irvin and Cirrus and that this was a Cirrus.
2) He and his brother both ordered custom jackets 10 years ago and paid, he estimated, about $1000.00 USD
3) He wears his ALL winter (I live at about 4500 ft elevation and it's cold and snowpacked all winter) and usually doesn't wear anything under it (he had on a t-shirt that day).
4) He bought it for bike riding and it has saved his skin more than once.

He took it off and handed it to me. It's not a military spec, but has the influence of bomber jackets. The bottom waistline is belted. The collar is full in back but has a inverted round taper around to the front (which would seem to be more comfortable when closed - the A-3 style I had was never comfortable in the collar). The hide was worn to a uniform suede except for the seam covers, which were leather. There was one mark on it, it didn't appear to be a scrape but some kind of hardened liquid, that extended over one shoulder (I looked at it becuase I thought it might be a burn or scrape). The hide was VERY thick and I would have trusted wearing it on a bike. Nevertheless it was quite supple. I didn't note the thickness of the sherling, but would guess it was about 5/8". It appeared to be a VERY nice jacket and had held up quite well given what he said was his use. His wife/girlfriend said he wore it ALL winter and wouldn't do anything without it. I especially liked the belted waist since I gave my B-3 away when it kept riding up my back while riding.

I don't know if it was worth $1000 to me, but I can say that it was a beautiful, stylish, jacket that had held up well and in this case was different than those you commonly see. Oh, I forgot to mention that this one was slightly longer in the torso that you commonly see - still a waist-length jacket, but just a smidge longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy